Posted at 12:35 PM ET, 07/19/2010

Comic-Con 2010: Letting the readers make the call

By Jen Chaney

Comic-Con

San Diego Comic-Con is about many things. Grown men and women dressed in the equivalent of adult Underoos. Hollywood studios trying to convince the masses that they should buy tickets to a movie that doesn't come out until fourth-quarter 2011. Standing in line for 45 minutes to earn the privilege of buying a soft pretzel.

But above all else, Comic-Con is about the fans. And that's why I'm turning to you for guidance.

A reader asked during a recent Celebritology chat if I was taking requests as far as what panels to cover. And that sparked an idea.

So I am asking you, Celebritology Nation: which Comic-Con panels would you most like me to attend? To help with those selections, I refer you to my highlights from day one, day two and days three and four, as well as the incredibly lengthy, complete Comic-Con schedule.

Would you like me to cover, say, the "Smallville" panel? The Hall H presentation of "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World"? One of the two panels about "Lost"? Or a discussion of manga? Or perhaps a meeting of Indiana Jones fans?

Fans outside an Indiana Jones panel at Comic-Con 2008. (Photo by Jen Chaney)

Make as many recommendations as you'd like in the comments section of this blog post, then I'll compile the most requested ones into a poll and post it in Celebritology on Wednesday. I'll aim to hit at least one or two out of the top most requested panels, based on Wednesday's voting.

Obviously I have to be in seven different places at any given moment; some panels that pique your interest may be difficult for me to attend based on my schedule. But I promise to try to my best to cover the ones that matter most to the most of you.

I also promise to share a piece of my coveted San Diego Convention Center pretzel, assuming the line I will inevitably stand in ever advances.

By Jen Chaney  | July 19, 2010; 12:35 PM ET
Categories:  Comic-Con, Pop Culture
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Weekend box office: 'Inception' is No. 1
Next: 'Jersey Shore' cast members go on strike, despite their lack of real jobs

Comments

"Big Bang Theory"!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | July 19, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

I think Comic-con is dead - R.I.P. Hollywood has taken over and the geeks don't even know what hit them. They think they (and their blogs) still have some power over Hollywood. Seriously - it's over.

Posted by: jill_kennedy | July 19, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

i vote for Thursday's Gammera the Invincible from 12 to 1 in 32AB...

I really care that much about giant fire-breathing turtles - in no way should you think this might be in the spirit of sending Justin Beiber to North Korea.... *cough*

Posted by: quintiliusvarus | July 19, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Jen, as a fellow pop culture junkie, I suggest you attend the JJ Abrams/Joss Whedon pop culture discussion.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | July 19, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Smallville panel please!!!!

Posted by: wiggial | July 19, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Tron, Terra Nova, True Blood

Posted by: Farfalle1 | July 19, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Dorkus, you do know that ScarJo is reportedly coming to Comic-Con, don't you? Why didn't you and your pals vote for her?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | July 19, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

I'm guessing that a pack of wild Sailor Moon's won't keep you away from any Lost panel!

Posted by: wadejg | July 19, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Another vote for "The Visionaries with Joss Whedon and J.J. Abrams" on day one!

Posted by: y1776 | July 19, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

me and millions of others would love to here from Tom Welling and the Smallville panel! Please interview the Smallville panel! Or at least Tom Welling!! PLEASE!!

Posted by: WillyWilltwlov92 | July 19, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Chose the SMALLVILLE PANEL! Please.. it's an INCREDIBLE show!

Posted by: onlyjokertdk | July 19, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Smallville panel. Last final time they'll be at Comic Con for the show don't miss it!

Posted by: Katherine2121 | July 19, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

I think you should check out Kevin Smith too.

Posted by: wadejg | July 19, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Please attend the Smallville panel, Sunday at 10a, since this is the last year for them at Comic-Con, and could you get me one of those free Smallville tote bags (Please!)
Also, anything JJ Abrams: Fringe, Lost, Undercovers, the Star Trek movie etc. Also the tv show Sanctuary. Very nice of you to think of your readers.

Posted by: zahadum | July 19, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Saturday, the Nikita screening and the MythBusters panel (if we can impose upon your evenings).

Sunday, the Merlin panel, the Unnatural History screening, and if you're staying that long, the Buffy screening at the end of the day.

Posted by: northgs | July 19, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

I vote for Girls Kick Ass. There is way too much testosterone in sci-fi/fantasy. Go girls!

Posted by: Snowball2 | July 19, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse

You absolutely need to go to the Smallville panel!!

Posted by: rustyspoons | July 19, 2010 10:46 PM | Report abuse

everything SMALLVILLE !!!

Posted by: nht1 | July 19, 2010 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Jen, based on your confusion over the greens last week, you should attend both "the Green Lantern" and "the Green Hornet" panels as penance.

Also, even if it proves to be incredibly lame, you owe it to yourself to see Guillermo del Toro at "Don't Be Afraid of the Dark."

Posted by: reddragon1 | July 20, 2010 7:49 AM | Report abuse

You had BETTER be at that Smallville panel. I shall be on the edge of my seat, refreshing your page every 5 seconds, for your minute-by-minute updates on how you are withstanding the assault on your senses of the physical perfection of Mr. Tom Welling. Although full disclosure compels me to admit you may be in mortal danger of a Lovecraftian nature: THE BEAUTY THAT IS TOO MUCH FOR MORTAL FLESH TO ENDURE. Nevertheless, rest assured, your sacrifice of sanity or life shall not have been in vane.

Posted by: Lori-M | July 20, 2010 8:02 AM | Report abuse

Because of green confusion, you need to go to both the Green Hornet and Green Lantern panels.

Posted by: reddragon1 | July 20, 2010 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Yes, yes, yes to the Merlin Panel. Bradley and Colin put that Tom Welling guy in the shade.

Mythbusters would be cool too. Especially if they blow something up.

Posted by: epjd | July 20, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Mythbusters would be cool too. Especially if they blow something up.

Posted by: epjd | July 20, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Mythbusters would be cool too. Especially if they blow something up.

Posted by: epjd | July 20, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

My vote is for the Simon Pegg/Nick Frost panel. Then you should water your peace lily.: )

Posted by: dragnchic9 | July 20, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

The Community panel should be funny, even if the comics/scifi connection is unclear to me! Ditto Sons of Anarchy panel. The one I am most interested in hearing about is the "Visionaries" panel mentioned by others. And the Anti-Heroes of Showtime panel should be good if only to see Michael C. Hall in person.

Posted by: suecadence | July 20, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Jen,

I would love for you to attend the SMALLVILLE panel on Sunday morning. It's the show's last season after nearly a decade on television. Tom Welling, Erica Durance, Justin Hartley, and Cassidy Freeman are beautiful people inside and out. The panel is sure to be interesting, fun, surprising, and possibly even moving. So many people have grown up with this show and have formed enduring friendships as a result. It would be great to have someone there to cover such an important moment. Thanks.

Christine

Posted by: CherryBlossom1 | July 20, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

I'll join the chorus of those advising you to visit the Smallville panel on Sunday at 10:00am.

For a show that debuted in the aftermath of September 11th, and proceeded to tell the story of how a young man experienced challenges and triumphs in order to become the ultimate superhero, Superman, it's a show that despite its comic book and teen soap background, is truly epic and inspiring. It's been on 10 years. Kids who started watching it in elementary school could now be on their way to graduating college--some perhaps inspired by Clark Kent to use the gifts they were born with to save the world. What an accomplishment!

The cast is phenomenal, and led by the kind, handsome, and brilliant Tom Welling. He's joined by castmate, Erica Durance, whose rise from a girl raised on a farm by a truck driver and librarian in Three Hills, Alberta, Canada--a tiny religious community--to playing the sexy, intelligent, feminist icon, Lois Lane, is truly remarkable. Cassidy Freeman is a newer addition, but she's beautiful inside and out. The way she gives back by speaking and working with young people during her time off is heartwarming. These are just three of the talented people who have worked on the show for years now, and are part of the current cast. So many others have contributed to Smallville over the years. The first cinematic Superman and Lois Lane, Christopher Reeve and Margot Kidder, have both guest starred, for example.

As rumors are once again flying around about making another Superman movie, the power of the Superman myth is undeniable. Smallville was a show about a superhero before comic book heroes became popular in theaters again. In short, it's a groundbreaking show with an amazing history. The cast is beautiful, smart, and fun, and the fans are a loyal, hard working, enthusiastic bunch. I hope you don't miss out on what could be a wonderful experience.

Posted by: JoanMeadows | July 21, 2010 12:57 AM | Report abuse