Posted at 11:15 AM ET, 07/29/2010

From 'Kitty Galore' to 'Yogi Bear': Vote for the most horrific family movie trailer

By Jen Chaney

"Toy Story 3" has spoiled us. So have movies like "How to Train Your Dragon" and "Despicable Me."

Beautifully executed, critically praised animated films like these sometimes make us forget that much of what passes for Hollywood family entertainment often looks like cartoon and/or CGI excrement. Three trailers for upcoming kid-friendly releases are proof of that. The question is: Which of these previews promises to deliver the most excruciating film-going experience the whole family can share?

We begin with "Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore," the unfortunately named talking-animal sequel that arrives in theaters tomorrow with (so far) a shockingly low 8 percent positive score on Rotten Tomatoes. One look at the trailer pretty much explains why.

Looking ahead to September, we've got "Alpha and Omega," a cartoon love story about two wolves trying to survive in the wild. This preview violates more cliche crimes than it's possible to count. But by far the most egregious is the use of Duran Duran's "Hungry Like the Wolf" during the trailer; Simon, Nick, John -- how could you let this happen?

And then there's the trailer for "Yogi Bear," coming to theaters in 3-D this Christmas just in time to make a lump of coal seem like a thoroughly delightful yuletide treat. This clip just debuted online and already has been thoroughly ridiculed throughout the blogosphere. Just watching the first 30 seconds might make you feel sorry for Dan Aykroyd, Justin Timberlake, Hanna, Barbera, Jellystone Park, Tom Cavanagh and any poor parent forced to pay upward of $8 to sit through 90-minutes-plus of this dumber-than-the-average-animated-fare dreck.

So which one wins the award for most atrocious? Vote now:

By Jen Chaney  | July 29, 2010; 11:15 AM ET
Categories:  Movies, Pop Culture  | Tags:  Movie Trailers
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lindsay Lohan allegedly receiving preferential treatment in jail; Kanye West performs at Twitter HQ
Next: For Zac Efron, advice on reaching movie star maturity

Comments

Ugh. Where's the 'all of the above' option?

Posted by: blahblah6b | July 29, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

The "Kitty Galore" title sux. A parody of a parody, and why would the movie guys try to attract grandparents.

Posted by: reddragon1 | July 29, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Ugh, the cliche of "evil cats" is played, the Kitty Galore title is trite, the whole idea is ugh. :-p

Yogi, on the other hand, needed an update. Most of those Hanna Barbera toons were sorta second-rate, sad, Warner Bros. ripoffs.

That did not stop me from watching them though as any cartoon was better than no cartoon on a Sat. morning or after school.

Posted by: wadejg | July 29, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

"It tastes like burning!" -Ralph Wiggum

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | July 29, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Yogi Bear and the wolf thing look pretty generically bad, but the Dogs & Cats thing looks truly execrable! The animals look embarrassed to be involved!

Posted by: talleyl | July 29, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

At least there is Pixar. Or at least that's what I keep telling myself when I see trailers for dreck like this.

Posted by: DCCubefarm | July 29, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

"...in eye-popping 3D..." seems to be code word these days for "fancy effects covers up bad plot."

Posted by: DCCubefarm | July 29, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

talley
The animals look embarrassed to be involved!

SPLOOT, all over the keyboard! Well-played, talley.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | July 29, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

when your children are six and eight, they think the Kitty Galore movie looks awesome and they can't wait to see it and will tell you that every chance they get. (sigh). So, if we have a rainy day at the beach next week, woe will be me for more than one reason. Would it be really wrong of me to take a benadryl before the movie starts? Is sleeping through a movie considered rude these days? Help me, Obi-wanjenchaney, you're my only hope.

Posted by: princessbuttercup | July 30, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

The thing is... I KNOW the Cats and Dogs movie will suck. The others look packaged in a way that says, "hey - we'll be better than average" but will suck even more. The way I figure it, at least my kids will LOVE seeing the dogs and cats and if I need to get them out of the house, it might be painful but at least they'll see something they love - animals. The wolf movie looks the worst to me just because...like...having my small kids see a wolf like another wolf and use some of the talk they are using - it should be more for teenagers and isn't. My 5 year old isn't ready for that crap.

Posted by: Mama1 | August 2, 2010 8:21 AM | Report abuse