Posted at 7:33 AM ET, 07/ 8/2010

Lindsay Lohan takes to Twitter; 'American Idol' tour calls off dates; Emmy Award noms imminent

By Jen Chaney

"American Idol" crew, possibly no longer coming to a city near you. (Fox/AP)

Thursday

Celebrity Beat: Lindsay Lohan takes to Twitter to comment on "cruel and unusual punishment"; also insists F-word manicure was only a joke; a spokesman for the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Office says Lohan will serve jail time in a private cell... "American Idol" tour cancels shows, joining slew of other postponed or called-off tours... Judge orders Disney to pay $270 million to creator of "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire"... Rob Lowe involved in bid to buy Miramax.

Rumor Mill: Jeremy London signs on to "Celebrity Rehab"... Swayze family allegedly feuding over the late Patrick Swayze's fortune... Billy Baldwin, Chynna Phillips mending marriage... "Bachlorette" Jillian Harris forced to return engagement ring to ABC in wake of break-up.

Pop Culture: Emmy Award nominations to be announced this morning... "Law and Order: Los Angeles" is on, with Skeet Ulrich in the lead... "Avatar" returns to theaters Aug. 27, with eight more minutes of material... "Hot in Cleveland" renewed for second season... Michael Cera scared by expectations for "Arrested Development" movie, says he does not know whether it will be made... Release of Matt Damon's "Adjustment Bureau" pushed back to March... Hayden Christensen and brother suing USA Network for stealing their idea for "Royal Pains."

Video: Viral video star Double Rainbow Guy gets his own auto-tuned track ... and I smell a strong candidate for Summer Song 2010.

Chat Live: Talk celeb news and pop culture today at 2 p.m. EST with me, Jen Chaney.

By Jen Chaney  | July 8, 2010; 7:33 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Daily Mix, Lindsay Lohan, Pop Culture
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Comic-Con 2010: The schedule, part one, is released on Thursday
Next: The final season of 'Lost' earns 12 Emmy Award nominations

Comments

Lets see now. Torn from today's headlines.

While it continues to be HOT in CLEVELAND, LAW and ORDER returns to Los ANGELES with the ARREST of LiLo and the DEVELOPMENT of a private cell for her. Some people have a ROYAL PAIN about this and perfer that LiLo be sent to CELEBRITY REHAB aka the ADJUSTMENT BUREAU.

Posted by: elias_howe | July 8, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

LiLo, hon, on the list of Examples Of cruel And Unusual Punishment In American Jurisprudence, what's happening to you is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down near the bottom.

(Also, Twitter? I know the lawyers call those things they file 'briefs,' but they're not *that* brief.)

F-word manicure joke: LiLo, hon, the place to try out your quirky brand of oh-so-subtle manicure humour is not the courtroom; that properly belongs in a live forum such as The Improv or one of the new batch of tv comedies. I understand "Hot In Cleveland" is currently the premiere venue for some of the leading distaff wits. (Frankly, I'm surprised that neither your agent nor lawyer seem to have advised you about this.)

Private cell: LiLo, Hole-O.

"Judge orders Disney to pay $270 million to creator of 'Who Wants to Be a Millionaire.'" ... and prepare to defend lawsuit stemming from their next game show, "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire 270 Times Over?"

Poor Jillian Harris: Nothing makes a broken engagement hurt quite like having to return the ring to the 65 billion-dollar multinational conglomerate that arranged it in the first place.

"'Hot in Cleveland' renewed for second season..." Really? 'Cause I was just messin' around when I said that stuff in the LiLo bit.

At the rate they're going, one of the sublots of the "Arrested Development" movie is going to be about George Michael's grandkids and their crushes on Maeby's grandkids.

Posted by: byoolin1 | July 8, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

LiLo, judges are notorious for their lack of humor. Trust me on this. Painting obscene messages on your fingernails is not a good way to convince a judge who already doesn't like you that you are sincere.

I thought the scariest news I could read is Rob Lowe buying a studio (sex, lies and videotapes II). Then I read the news about the Swayze feud. I would have bet they would be the one family that would behave with some class. Money does strange things to families. [PSA for the day -- get a will to avoid some of this.]

I have got to set my appointments better. I am almost always busy during chat time.

Posted by: epjd | July 8, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

ep, can a judge hold LiLo in contempt of court for sporting a courtroom f-u-cure?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | July 8, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

For anyone who has access to NPR, "Morning Edition" is rolling over its interview with Mark Ruffalo starting a minute from now. Interesting.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | July 8, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Nosy, there has already been speculation about that very thing. it is well within the realm of possibility. Depends on how nasty the judge wants to be. She can overlook it as youthful stupidity, or can throw the book at her for proving once again LiLo just doesn't get it. I honestly don't know what this judge will do.

Posted by: epjd | July 8, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

"Lindsay Lohan takes to Twitter to comment on 'cruel and unusual punishment'" -- Is this about her court sentence or did someone ask her to record another album?

"Judge orders Disney to pay $270 million to creator of 'Who Wants to Be a Millionaire'" -- But first, he had to phone-a-friend for advice on the exact dollar amount.

"Swayze family allegedly feuding over the late Patrick Swayze's fortune" -- After he became sick, a surprise surge in DVD sales sent those "Red Dawn" residuals through the roof!

"'Avatar' returns to theaters Aug. 27, with eight more minutes of material" -- Seven of which are James Cameron looking stunned when he lost that Best Director Oscar to his ex-wife.

"Hayden Christensen and brother suing USA Network for stealing their idea for 'Royal Pains.'" -- Well, it's not like anyone would've tried to steal his acting talent.

"'Hot in Cleveland' renewed for second season" -- Giving Betty White reason to live another year. (I actually like this show.)

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | July 8, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Lohan looks like she's 35, but acts like she's 13. So sad!

Posted by: changling | July 8, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

LiLo, judges are notorious for their lack of humor. Trust me on this.

Posted by: epjd | July 8, 2010 8:43 AM

Ditto.

Posted by: jezebel3 | July 8, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

So LiLo gets her own private cell. That's probably for the best, it would be pretty cruel to subject the other inmate to her.

I always get nervous when I see a headline that begins with 'Rob Lowe involved in..'

Hey Hayden, do you HATE THEM ALL?

Do you need someone to hold you like they did by the lake on Naboo?

I hear he was actually really into the show, then five minutes later he completely changed his mind with little explanation for it.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | July 8, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Look for the new Baldwin Brothers relationship advice show.

Posted by: reddragon1 | July 8, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I would TOTALLY watch a Baldwin relationship show.

8 extra minutes of "Avatar"?!?! The thing was so dang long who's going to notice.

Can't even believe about The Swayze's family fighting. I think I'll just go back to bed now.

Posted by: jaybbub | July 8, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Thank goodness that video wasn't Jobim's "Double Rainbow." Or else it was such a butchering that one couldn't even tell.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | July 8, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Skeet Ulrich?!? Well, thank you Jen for making my day! :o)

LiLo ... want some cheese with that whine?

Posted by: Californian11 | July 8, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

I so second what ep said about having a will.

Posted by: Californian11 | July 8, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Me, too.

I also like Hot in Cleveland. Except for the aggressively to the point of maniacal laugh track. And except for Betty White. Oh my god, that woman can NOT act. At all. I never watched the Golden Girls -- I only watched it the one time because it came from the brilliant Susan Harris of Soap fame and it only took the one viewing to cause me to despise it. And I vaguely remember White's Sue Ann Nivens days but I think I recall her being good in that. So has she just gotten too old or was she really always that bad? Shudder.

Posted by: 7900rmc | July 8, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

LiLo may in fact have only been tweeting about the woman in Iran, but her timing is about as atrocious as her judgment. I don't care if that manicure was "a joke" unrelated to her court appearance, would think any sane person would consider it prudent to break out the nail polish remover. And if that article is accurate about her prescription drug use, I'm surprised she's survived this long with drinking on top of that lot.

My film got shut out of Emmy noms this morning--opening the Tiki bar early today to soften the blow. ;-)

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | July 8, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Sorcerer's cat -- so sorry you got shut out. Have a drink on me.

Although very glad Glee got such fine notice.

I saw the prescription drug use too. Poor thing is self-medicating to deal with something. I really hope the rehab sticks this time.

Posted by: epjd | July 8, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Thanks ep!

At the rate she's consuming all of those differing meds for differing issues, I'd be surprised if she could remember whatever it is she's self medicating to deal with! ('scuse the poor grammar!)

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | July 8, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Pssst, ep, there's a rich and (in)famous celeb hunting for a new lawyer tonight. 'Course, I'm not sure she'd pay her legal bills any more than she would some of the others she's stiffed.
"Lindsay Lohan's Lawyer Quits":

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | July 8, 2010 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Thanks. lol, allow me invite you to my community:
--== Cougara.C/o/M ==-- (where mature women and men who like cougar find love).
Best Cougar dating site in the world!
It's where cougars and younger men can meet(Cougar is the slang for woman who is mature, experienced and want to date with a younger man). No matter you are looking for a NSA or serious relationship, please do check it out!
And also you may find yourself more compatible with young men.
For young men, dating an older woman has numerous advantages. You can sometimes learn valuable advice from her on how to conduct himself in a difficult situation. She is your best listener and supporter.
Join us and contact tens of thousands of cougars and cougar admirers!
It's where mature women and men who like them can get fvcked.

Posted by: cookienihui | July 9, 2010 7:26 AM | Report abuse