Posted at 8:10 AM ET, 07/15/2010

Mel Gibson attorneys claim tapes have been edited; Kelly Osbourne and fiance split

By Jen Chaney
Thursday

Update: A fifth, still unauthenticated Mel Gibson audio tape has been released.

Celebrity Beat: TMZ is reporting that Mel Gibson's attorneys can prove the now-famous audio tapes have been edited and tampered with... Kelly Osbourne and fiance split... Lindsay Lohan reportedly hired Robert Shapiro, who will argue for eliminating or minimizing jail time... Lawmaker looks into "Kate Plus 8" work permits... Soccer star Landon Donovan confirms that he does not have a love child, as previously rumored... David Letterman delicately attempts to make Bristol Palin jokes again... Craig Ferguson and wife expecting a baby... Rosie Perez comes to the White House in a wheelchair... Federal jury expected to begin deliberations today in John Stamos extortion case... Michael Jackson's Neverland Ranch to become a state park?... Sexual harassment lawsuit against Steven Seagal dropped.

Rumor Mill: Ryan Reynolds injured on set of "Green Lantern"... Alleged Michael Jackson son plans to join family's wrongful death suit.

Pop Culture: Dustin Hoffman to star in HBO horse-racing drama, "Luck"... Could Mark Ruffalo be the new Hulk?... Joaquin Phoenix documentary has distributor, will come out in September... Angelina Jolie confirmed for Comic-Con, although didn't we tell you that five days ago?... Betty White to guest star on "Community"... Is "The Hills" the most influential reality show ever? (God, we hope not)... 19 things you (allegedly) didn't know about "Star Wars."

Video: Enjoy the tension between Robert Downey Jr. and Zach Galifianakis in the trailer for "Due Date":

Chat Live: We'll talk Mel Gibson, Lindsay Lohan and (hopefully) more in today's Celebritology discussion at 2 p.m. ET.

By Jen Chaney  | July 15, 2010; 8:10 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Daily Mix, Mel Gibson, Pop Culture
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: What Lindsay Lohan can learn from Mel Gibson and other celebrity lawbreakers
Next: How many award nominations will 'Inception' score?

Comments

"TMZ is reporting that Mel Gibson's attorneys can prove the now-famous audio tapes have been edited and tampered with." In that order? 'Cause that would be really odd.

"Kelly Osbourne and fiance split." Over her dad, right? You think you're having a nice conversation with the guy and later discover you've agreed to re-shingle the carport for him.

Robert Shapiro will argue for eliminating or minimizing jail time: you just don't get that kind of strategizing from the Public Defender's office.

"David Letterman delicately attempts to make Bristol Palin jokes again." Just don't let Mel Gibson write 'em.

Posted by: byoolin1 | July 15, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Thank you for the RDJ fix this morning.

Posted by: wadejg | July 15, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

"Kelly Osbourne and fiance split" -- And let me tell you, that "Dancing with the Stars" move she taught him took weeks to perfect.

"David Letterman delicately attempts to make Bristol Palin jokes again" -- Nothing like going back to an old well to make you look current.

"Dustin Hoffman to star in HBO horse-racing drama, 'Luck'" -- My money's on Ratzo Rizzo in the third and Tootsie in the fifth.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | July 15, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Lawmaker looks into "Kate Plus 8" work permits...Way to be on the ball with that one...

Is it sad or awesome that I already new all those things about Star Wars?

Soccer star Landon Donovan confirms that he does not have a love child

-Making it the first time he's glad he didn't put it in the goal.

I don't know about Mark Ruffalo being the new Hulk, I had also heard that David Tennant was up for the role. Which then had me imagining the Hulk saying 'HULK SMASHLY WASHLY TIMELY WIMBLY!'

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | July 15, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Admitting I am late to the party, I finally heard one of the Mel Gibson tapes this morning. The whole thing is just suspect to me.

Let me first say I find it entirely believable that he's a religious fanatic, a racist, sexist, conceivably violent, possibly mentally unhinged and all that rub. Totally not arguing that. It would be interesting to hear what his ex-wife would say about him.

But this just feels like a total set up. From the way it feels edited, her eerily calm 'responses', weird. Totally can see some sort of 'creating' that could have happened, mashing up existing sentences to create more ammo.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was some kind of elaborate scam from the get go. She was randomly recording their conversations?

The only challenge I am having with my thinking is, that by releasing these tapes she's kind of 'blown her wad' if you will. Maybe Ep can tell us if there is some way she can profit ex post release-o...

Am I the only one thinking this?

It goes without saying, that if that is him and these are the kind of things he is saying, no amount of provocation justifies any of it.

There is some kind of irony in the fact that in the recordings, he's enraged that she may have cheated on him when he basically did the same to his now ex-wife (who has to be breathing a sigh of relief to be far far away from this train wreck).

Anyone listen to the whole kit and kaboodle?

Posted by: LTL1 | July 15, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

David Letterman delicately attempts to make Bristol Palin jokes again.

IF (note use of conditional) the rumors prove true of a Bristol-Levi "reality" TV show to follow, then they're fair game (so to speak) again. But does Alaska require a work permit for baby Tripp?

Because the Kartra$hian$' father is dead? Didn't a Lizard offer a rhyme a few days ago of the genre, "If the leggings don't fit..."? Maybe others have ideas for similar LiLo couplets.

Michael Jackson's Neverland Ranch to become a state park.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | July 15, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Best wishes to Rosie Perez for a complete recovery and freedom from further pain. And yes, the President is correct, they DO have professionals who will do your stunts for you, Rosie (and other actors trying to prove their non-wimpiness).

Elsewhere in the same article: Am guessing I'm the only one who's read the it thus far, because no one else has mentioned yet that toward the bottom it adds the following off-topic morself, surely of interest to Producer Paul and certain other Lizards:

...An insider tells us that Scarlett Johansson, better known to "Iron Man 2" fans as Black Widow, will attend Comic Con 2010 at the San Diego Convention Center this month, in hopes of "scoring another major role." Since comic-book artists tend to draw female superheroes with the kind of Lamborghini-style curves that Johansson possesses naturally, she won't have trouble. But Scar-Jo may want to pack some pepper spray, lest she find herself starring in a real-life "Night of the Living Nerds"

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | July 15, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Ack! Sentence should read "Am guessing I'm the only one who's read it thus far, because no one else has mentioned yet that toward the bottom it adds the following off-topic morsel"

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | July 15, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

LTL1 - I concur. Have heard snippets of the tape from Extra etc. Something don't smell good about her "random" taping.

Posted by: MDey | July 15, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

"cali and cat, I thought California was closing parks for lack of state funding. Or does Neverland have its own trust fund or something?"

The first part is true. Don't know about the second part, but I'm already rolling my eyes.

Posted by: Californian11 | July 15, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

RIP, Sir Charles Mackerras. Saw you conduct at the KenCen in my youth, owned several of your LPs. Thanks for the music!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | July 15, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | July 15, 2010 4:13 PM
________________________

Not sure if you know but...this isn't his blog.

Posted by: Gnillew9 | July 15, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Seconding wadejg: Thank you for the "Due Date" trailer- just what I needed after a long hot day in the field. Delightful!

I'm too tired to have any amusing insights right now- just that this Mel Gibson thing has rapidly crossed from "amusing" to "sad and a little terrifying". He just sounds ill.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | July 15, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Dorkus, I too knew pretty much all of those Star Wars factoids (except a couple of the Han Solo auditioners). So if it's sad, count me in. We can cry in our coffee together.

I love me some David Tennant--but Banner? Timey wimey wibbley wobbley is right. *sniff* I miss Doctor Who (can't abide the new one) -- not to mention the new writers who totally mangled the weeping angels.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | July 15, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

S.J. is stolen biological material, taken against will and formed to clones line 200 pieces total. DANGEROUS, DANGEROUS, sign of dangerous criminal activity. Original Scarlett Galabekian future pediatrician doctor, pediatrician nurse license she obtained in 2008.

Posted by: jiji1 | July 15, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

So the big question about Mr Gibson's latest maledictions is: Have the telephone-conversation recordings been doctored?

At various times in the last few days I've been using my trusty pair of highly sophisticated audio-analysis devices to study the recordings, and my conclusion is that the recordings _have_ been doctored.

Somebody has removed every expletive.

Posted by: LeighOats | July 15, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Oksana Grigorieva's attempt to extort over $10 million in hush money from Mel Gibson has backfired and could very well land her in jail.

See Oksana Grigorieva's $10 million Extortion Plot against Mel Gibson Backfires at http://exm.nr/b89a7e

Posted by: RuthHouston | July 18, 2010 5:51 AM | Report abuse