Posted at 7:51 AM ET, 07/16/2010

Mel Gibson audio tapes now in hands of detectives; Pink recovering from stage fall; Aaron Sorkin to make John Edwards movie

By Jen Chaney

Pink: Still a rock star despite on-stage accident. (AP)

Friday

Celebrity Beat: Detectives receive Mel Gibson audio tapes from court and will aim to authenticate them; estranged wife Robyn Gibson comes to actor's defense... Pink hospitalized briefly after stage fall... Levi Johnston's mom "very upset" to learn about son's engagement from the media... U.S. authorities dispute who was at fault for not honoring Swiss request in Roman Polanski case... Erin Andrews sues peephole stalker, hotel chains where she was secretly videotaped... Couple is convicted in John Stamos extortion case... Amy Winehouse confirms that new album is coming in six months at most.

Rumor Mill: January Jones and Jason Sudeikis spotted canoodling at the ESPYs... Jeremy London still living in California even though he is on verge of eviction... Bristol Palin and Levi Johnston shopping reality show.

Pop Culture: Aaron Sorkin to make directorial debut with adaptation of Andrew Young's "The Politician," the book about the John Edwards scandal... Ryan Reynolds' "Green Lantern" costume elicits mixed reaction... Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess begin production on "One Day," the adaptation of the David Nicholls novel... Seth Grahame-Smith hired to write "Dark Shadows" movie, to star Johnny Depp... Will Tom Cruise, Will Smith and Anna Kendrick team up on rodeo movie?...Vulture's flowchart guide to casting sensitive geeks... A timeline of fake sci-fi events, for those attempting to keep their hypothetical Microsoft Outlook calendars in order...

Video Views: Steve Carell makes a "big decision" at the ESPYs (in case you missed it):

The latest trailer for "The Social Network," featuring actual movie footage:

By Jen Chaney  | July 16, 2010; 7:51 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Daily Mix, Mel Gibson, Pop Culture
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lindsay Lohan checks into rehab
Next: Casting Aaron Sorkin's John Edwards movie

Comments

Ryan Reynolds is playing the Green Lantern, not the Green Hornet. They are different characters, still green but one is a Bruce Wayne-ish guy and the other gets the power when he wears a special ring.

Posted by: chocolatetiara | July 16, 2010 8:11 AM | Report abuse

Jen, sounds like your invite to Comic-Con may be revoked, not keeping your green characters straight.

Speaking of green,at last the Bristol Palin-Levi John$ton reunion makes sense. Let's include Levi's mom's reaction to learning about the engagement via TV in the reality show.

In other colors, I'm glad Pink is alright. She seems like a decent person.

I'm guessing if Erin Andrews wins her suit, she won't have to work again. Or she can start her own network. But I may be wrong, just like I was yesterday re Lilo's choice of Robert Shapiro. ep straightened me out on my Shapirography.

Depp seems perfect for "Dark Shadows" if they MUST remake it.

"Tom Cruise, Will Smith and Anna Kendrick team up on rodeo movie." sounds like the beginning of a joke. But, I fear, is not.

Posted by: reddragon1 | July 16, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

"Detectives receive Mel Gibson audio tapes from court." Said one, "I'm too old for this s***."

Robyn Gibson comes to Mel's defense: "In all the years I was married to him, I was never raped by a pack of those people."

"Levi Johnston's mom "very upset" to learn about son's engagement from the media." I'm not sure that hearing the news from a choir of angels would have made much of a difference.

"Jeremy London still living in California even though he is on verge of eviction." You can get evicted from California?

Yes, reddragon, Tom Cruise, Will Smith and Anna Kendrick in a rodeo movie *does* sound like the beginning of a joke. I think the punch line is, "No, I said, 'I bet you couldn't get those two on a ten-dollar _horse_.'"

I'll pass on the Facebook movie. I'm still traumatized by what I saw in the Goatse film.

Posted by: byoolin1 | July 16, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

"Pink recovering from stage fall" -- Didn't Jon Bon Jovi just hurt himself? And Bret Michaels not long ago? What are they making stages out of these days, trampoline material?

"Levi Johnston's mom 'very upset' to learn about son's engagement from the media" -- Just think how Bristol Palin felt, and she was there at the time.

"Will Tom Cruise, Will Smith and Anna Kendrick team up on rodeo movie?" -- I, for one, hope so. I'd be first in line to see "8 Thetans" just to see how Will Smith works the words "roping" and "dianetics" into the theme song.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | July 16, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Will Smith, I have just 3 words for you: Wild, Wild West.

But do we need any further proof that Will Smith is a scientologist?

How would you like to go to jail and when the other convicts ask what you are in for, you have to say "extortion of John Stamos." Man, the only guy who has it worse is Secrest's stalker. Even LiLo has more street cred -- drugs and DUI.

Posted by: epjd | July 16, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

I won't get on Jen for mistaking the Green Lantern for the Green Hornet. She could've also gone with Green Goblin, Green Arrow, or Green Man (who coincidentally is also a Green Lantern).

Thanks for the timeline. I'll be sure to mark in my calender that WWIII ends five years before it begins.

I'm pretty sure Levi's mom is more upset about having to spend more time with the Palins than anything else (I know I would).

Regarding Aaron Sorkin's The Politician, can you discuss the Two Americas while doing a walk and talk?

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | July 16, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

ep, when I read your words, 'when the other convicts ask what you are in for, you have to say "extortion of John Stamos"' the very next words that played in my head were Arlo Guthrie's: "...and they all moved away from me on the Group W bench..."

Posted by: byoolin1 | July 16, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Dark Shadows: Ah, the memories of coming home after jr high school and turning on the tube, 4:30, M-F. Who will play Quentin, the werewolf, I wonder.

Posted by: mat00 | July 16, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

In the '50s, people got together to talk about "The Seventh Seal". In the '60s, people got together to talk about "Bonnie and Clyde". In the '70s, people got together to talk about "Annie Hall". And today's movies? Superheroes, superheroes, and more superheroes. We're turning into morons!

Posted by: mattfugazi | July 16, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattfugazi | July 16, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Dorkus, you left out The Incredible Hulk, who is also green, at least sometimes. Your invite to Comic-con is also in jeopardy.

Posted by: reddragon1 | July 16, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Nobody's mentioned the blurb yesterday re ScarJo being at Comic Con. Surely y'all (read: Dorkus) haven't lost interest in her already:

"...An insider tells us that Scarlett Johansson, better known to 'Iron Man 2' fans as Black Widow, will attend Comic Con 2010 at the San Diego Convention Center this month, in hopes of 'scoring another major role.' Since comic-book artists tend to draw female superheroes with the kind of Lamborghini-style curves that Johansson possesses naturally, she won't have trouble. But Scar-Jo may want to pack some pepper spray, lest she find herself starring in a real-life 'Night of the Living Nerds.'"

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | July 16, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

"Bristol Palin and Levi Johnston shopping reality show." Aha. This explains why they got engaged. Anything for publicity. Apple doesn't fall far from the tree, does it Bristol?

Posted by: Californian11 | July 16, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

For the record, the Green Hornet/Lantern mix-up has since been corrected.

My defense? The aftershocks from this morning's D.C. area earthquake rattled my brain.

Posted by: Jen_Chaney | July 16, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Aw Jen, did that little 3.6 bother you? We don't even get out of our chairs for a 3.6. ;-)

byoo, I've got hairy eyeballs on the brain and will be thinking about 27 8 x 10 color glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was all day long.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | July 16, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

cat, I bet you sleep through such itty-bitty quakes when they're during the night!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | July 16, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

S.J. is stolen biological material, taken against will and formed to clones line 200 pieces total. DANGEROUS, DANGEROUS, sign of dangerous criminal activity. Original Scarlett Galabekian future pediatrician doctor, pediatrician nurse license she obtained in 2008.

Posted by: jiji1 | July 17, 2010 3:20 AM | Report abuse

Oksana Grigorieva’s attempt to extort over $10 million in hush money from Mel Gibson has backfired and could very well land her in jail.

See Oksana Grigorieva’s $10 million Extortion Plot against Mel Gibson Backfires at http://exm.nr/b89a7e

Posted by: RuthHouston | July 17, 2010 5:52 AM | Report abuse