Posted at 10:20 AM ET, 07/ 8/2010

The final season of 'Lost' earns 12 Emmy Award nominations

By Jen Chaney

Man of science, man of faith, men of Emmy nominations. (ABC)

For "Lost" fans expecting their dearly departed series to be snubbed by the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences, this morning's Emmy Award nominations were a pleasant surprise.

The Dharma drama earned 12 nominations for its final season, the most the show has amassed since 2005, when it also scored a dozen nods and won six trophies, including one for Best Drama, for its groundbreaking first season.

Even the most loyal "Lost" fan -- and by that I mean me -- will tell you that while season six certainly delivered some emotional high points (please see the weep-athon that was the finale), it was hardly the strongest season in the show's run. It's fair to assume the Academy members may have doled out these nominations as a way to pay tribute to the overall achievement of the island brainbender as much as the quality of those final episodes.

Either way, only two things made me as happy as seeing all of these "Lost" nods: hearing the names Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton announced as nominees for their work on "Friday Night Lights," and finding out that Conan O'Brien's "Tonight Show" beat out Jay Leno in the Outstanding Comedy, Music or Variety Seres category. But I digress.

Today "Lost" was nominated in the following categories:

Outstanding Drama Series, where it will compete against "Breaking Bad," "Dexter," The Good Wife," "Mad Men" and "True Blood."

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series: A very deserving Matthew Fox.

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series: past Emmy winners Terry O'Quinn and Michael Emerson.

Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series: Elizabeth Mitchell, who
obviously once played Juliet Burke as a regular, but was considered a guest this season because she only popped up in a couple of episodes. (Could this be payback for dissing the intensity of her "I love you, James!" freefall in season five?)

Outstanding Directing for a Drama Series: Jack Bender for "The End"

Outstanding Art Direction: "Ab Aeterno"

Outstanding Music Composition: Michael Giacchino for "The End," who I must note, has only won a single Emmy. Um, what? Let's rectify that, please.

Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing for a Drama: "The End"

Outstanding Special Class Program: the "In Search Of"-esque Web series, "Mysteries of the Universe: The Dharma Initiative."

Outstanding Sound Editing: "The End"

Outstanding Sound Mixing: "The End"

Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series: Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse for "The End."

And now the debate begins: how many Emmys is "Lost" likely to win when the ceremony takes place on Aug. 29? And does it have a shot at beating reigning martini-sipping champ "Mad Men" for Best Drama?

While you ponder those life-altering questions, which you should feel free to attempt to answer in our comments section or during today's Emmy discussion with Lisa de Moraes, vote in this poll about which "Lost" nod made for the most pleasant Emmy surprise.

By Jen Chaney  | July 8, 2010; 10:20 AM ET
Categories:  Lost, TV  | Tags:  Emmy Awards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lindsay Lohan takes to Twitter; 'American Idol' tour calls off dates; Emmy Award noms imminent
Next: Comic-Con 2010: Some highlights of day one programming

Comments

Last weekend, I watched "The End" again and AGAIN found myself crying like a baby. Even though I mostly cried at different points this time, the two scenes that got the waterworks flowing the first time didn't disappoint the second time: Sawyer's reunion with Juliet and Jack stumbling through the bamboo forest and laying down with Vincent at his side.

Even knowing how it all ends -- warts and all -- still makes for a great series finale.

Posted by: clw96 | July 8, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

If Emerson or O'Quinn doesn't win, it's rigged I tellsya, RIGGED!!

Surprised at Matthew Fox's nom, but whatever.

Interesting that out of the 5 dramas nominated, only 2 are regular network shows.

Posted by: wadejg | July 8, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

While Michael Giacchino has only won one Emmy, he has won two Oscars. I don't think his mantelpiece is hurting for awards.

Posted by: MaxineofArc | July 8, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

I was pleasantly surprised by the number of nominations. I actually have a reason to watch now. I truly hope they win for best drama, even if it is, in effect, a lifetime achievement award. They deserve it and Mad Men, one of the most boring shows on television, has run its course.

Posted by: dojemc | July 8, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I was disappointed that Friday Night Lights was not also nominated for best drama, but at least that prevents me from having to decide which of the two shows to root for on Emmy night.

Posted by: Donderro | July 8, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Now I'm really torn. Emerson or O'Quinn? I don't think I can decide. Emerson's "Ben" has always been one of my favorite character, but O'Quinn has been playing two roles this year, roles that are so opposite that It was amazing to watch.

Posted by: TSJLennon | July 8, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

I know this column is mostly about Lost, but I just wanted to comment on the other nominees mentioned – Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton. I am THRILLED Friday Night Lights FINALLY got some lovin’ from the Television Academy.

I only wish they’d also nominated Zack Gilford (aka Matt Saracen) in the Best Supporting Actor, Drama Series category. If you need some excellent TV viewing to fill that Lost void, go back and watch the first several episodes of the fourth season currently running on NBC, particularly “The Son.” You’ll see . . .

Posted by: pfallsgirl | July 9, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

TSJLennon: Agreed, there were a couple episodes where Terry was notably great at varying his presence in the two roles -- MIB on the island vs. Locke in LA X. So I'd go with him this year.

However Michael Emerson should get one every year, even if he's not appearing in any TV shows!

Posted by: MeriJ | July 9, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse