Posted at 4:32 PM ET, 07/27/2010

'The Town': Assessing the trailer for a film destined for the Toronto International Film Festival

By Jen Chaney

One of the many films announced today as part of the Toronto Film Festival line-up is Ben Affleck's "The Town," his second directorial effort after "Gone Baby Gone."

If you've seen "Inception," you may well have seen the trailer for "The Town," a Boston crime thriller that contains echoes of "Gone" and whose bank heist snippets are creepily reminiscent of the opening of "The Dark Knight."

Affleck did a solid job with "Gone Baby Gone" so I am intrigued to see what he does with his second effort. But I have one major issue with the trailer, aside from the fact that it screams out for more Jon Hamm. The preview reveals a bit too much detail about the plot, particularly via the reveal that happens at around the 1:55 mark. That's a moment I might have preferred not to see before heading into the theater.

If you dared to take a peek at the scene in question, do you agree about the too-much-information issue? Should movie trailers try to be a bit more mysterious?

By Jen Chaney  | July 27, 2010; 4:32 PM ET
Categories:  Movies, Pop Culture  | Tags:  Movie Trailers
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 'Mad Men' season four: Why Betty is already bugging me
Next: Mel Gibson meets with detectives, requests observer for baby visits; Old Spice Guy cast in Jennifer Aniston movie

Comments

I agree with you: that is way too much information for a trailer. Makes me feel like there probably isn't enough good stuff in the movie if they have to cobble together then ENTIRE plot into two minutes or less. Bad, bad trailer.

Posted by: BadMommy1 | July 27, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Hey Jen, I think you rely a little too much on "plot twists" to make your movies worthwhile. For all we know, that "twist" is revealed in the first 20 minutes of the movie. And if they're willing to put it in the trailer, then it's definitely not the only "twist" this movie has to offer.

I'd see the movie just for Rebecca Hall. I dunno what it is about her, but it's somethin'.

Posted by: steampunk | July 28, 2010 8:01 AM | Report abuse

We can't know it's "too much" because we don't know what happens in the remainder of the movie. I read something that implied that the "big reveal" in question in fact happens early on in the movie and isn't a big surprise. It's only presented that way in the trailer.

Posted by: fft5305 | July 28, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

You are so right about that. Movie trailers give away the entire movie these days. Before Inception there was a trailer for Charlie St. Cloud that basically made me feel as though I had seen the entire movie in 2 minutes.

Posted by: laney619 | July 28, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, they didn't need to put the spoiler in the trailer. What was the point? It doesn't add anything to me wanting to see the movie. But... on the other hand, I had already figured Ben was in on it. Looks like a good one. Glad to see Jeremy Renner is getting good parts.

Posted by: doobrah | July 28, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse