Posted at 7:43 AM ET, 08/ 9/2010

Actress Patricia Neal dies; Teen Choice Awards loves its vampires; Court documents filed in Fantasia Barrino sex scandal

By Jen Chaney

Monday

Celebrity Beat: In sad news, Oscar-winning actress Patricia Neal has died of lung cancer at age 84... In silly-award-show news, vampire-related entertainment is amply rewarded at the Teen Choice Awards, where "Twilight" and "Vampire Diaries" collect most surfboard trophies... North Carolina woman files court papers alleging that "American Idol" winner Fantasia Barrino had an affair with her husband and recorded the pair's sexual encounters... Robbie Williams marries longtime girlfriend Ayda Field at Los Angeles home... Former Fugee Pras Michel not supporting Wyclef Jean's bid for president of Haiti... Maddox Jolie-Pitt gets private go-kart birthday party.

Pop Culture: Jane Lynch set to host "Saturday Night Live" in October... "The Other Guys" tops weekend box office... "Entourage" to end its run in 2011... Jason Bateman suggests there is role for Jennifer Aniston in "Arrested Development" movie; unclear whether it involves her residing in Wee Britain... James Cameron discusses sequels to "Avatar" and the upcoming novel version.

Say What?

"I find Audrey Hepburn fantastically twee ... Twee is whimsy without wit. It's mimsy-mumsy sweetness without any kind of bite. And that's not for me. She can't sing and she can't really act, I'm afraid. I'm sure she was a delightful woman -- and perhaps if I had known her I would have enjoyed her acting more, but I don't and I didn't, so that's all there is to it, really."

By Jen Chaney  | August 9, 2010; 7:43 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Daily Mix, Pop Culture
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Celebritology Weekend: A restraining order granted for Sandra Bullock and a new baby for Amy Poehler and Will Arnett
Next: Weekend box office: Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg extract 'Inception' from top spot

Comments

As far as Hepburn playing Eliza Doolittle is concerned, Emma Thompson is exactly right. She didn't sing her part and she was far too delicately pretty to play a Cockney flower girl. Hepburn was cast in the film of My Fair Lady because producers didn't think Julie Andrews had enough star power, even though she had originated the role on Broadway. Ironically, The Sound of Music came out the same year as My Fair Lady and Andrews was a smash in it, kicking off a long and thriving Hollywood career. Audrey Hepburn did good work in gamine or glamorous roles, as in Breakfast at Tiffany's and To Catch a Thief, but she was not an actor of depth or range.

Posted by: jhpurdy | August 9, 2010 8:10 AM | Report abuse

"Entourage" to end its run in 2011...or about three years after anybody continued to care about it.

Posted by: yellojkt | August 9, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Jane Lynch set to host "Saturday Night Live" in October...Is it too much to hope for a track-suited Justin Timberlake cameo?

Posted by: yellojkt | August 9, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

North Carolina woman files court papers alleging that "American Idol" winner Fantasia Barrino had an affair with her husband and recorded the pair's sexual encounters...File under Sex Tapes I Do NOT Want To See aka The John Edwards Bin.

Posted by: yellojkt | August 9, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

I'm on Emma's side on this one, too. Audrey was way too saccharine and she couldn't act: playing yourself over & over again ain't acting. She was a movie star, not an actress, and she was a photogenic clothes hanger. Nice lady, I'm sure, cared about animals, blah, blah...As for My Fair Lady, I saw in on Broadway in 1956 and Julie Andrews was way better than Audrey, although by now the world has become accustomed to her face.

Posted by: kabuki3 | August 9, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

RIP Patricia Neal.

I started to type, "Vampires and sufboards go together like..." when I realized it was a great movie idea. As soon as I am done here, I'm going to buy a copy of Final Draft and get an agent. In two years, you'll be mocking ME!

Fantasia Barrino made a sex tape? I thought that was 3rd prize...

"Former Fugee Pras Michel not supporting Wyclef Jean's bid for president of Haiti," thereby ruining the beleaguered nation's only chance for an all-Fugee government.

"Jason Bateman suggests there is role for Jennifer Aniston in "Arrested Development" movie" and hopes that nobody will notice that Maeby looks totally different and much older than she did in the series.

Here's hoping the "Avatar" novel will be in 3-D.

"Twee" is actually a pretty good adjective to describe Ms. Hepburn. And "Really stepped in it, now, haven't you?" is a pretty good way to describe Ms. Thompson.

Posted by: byoolin1 | August 9, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

RIP Patricia Neal.

Fine, do a remake of My Fair Lady. With Emma Thompson, I won't cringe at the thought. But it is not necessary to insult the original to do so.

Posted by: epjd | August 9, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

How many of us can vote for President of Haiti again? For that matter, how many Haitians,... (never mind).

Posted by: reddragon1 | August 9, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

All those who say Audrey Hepburn couldn't act should rent "Wait Until Dark."

The Fantasia fantasy would make an ep of Cheating Cheaters or whatever that cable show is really called. It certainly isn't worth much more than that.

Jane Lynch should be great hosting SNL.

Posted by: reddragon1 | August 9, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Julie Andrews was the original Fair Lady, not Audrey, epjd. And it's not an insult to say she couldn't act - she was a great movie star, but a lousy actress, Wait Until Dark notwithstanding. Hollywood is populated with photogenic stars who can't act, and their antics appear regularly in Celebritology.

Posted by: kabuki3 | August 9, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

"I started to type, "Vampires and surfboards go together like..." when I realized it was a great movie idea. As soon as I am done here, I'm going to buy a copy of Final Draft and get an agent. In two years, you'll be mocking ME!"

byoo, I would buy that on opening day. Opening DAY.

yellojkt, I have to be honest- when Timberlake hosts or appears on SNL, I have more fun with that show than I have in years.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | August 9, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

I'm with Emma, too.

Posted by: dstu | August 9, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

I'm less concerned about Emma's view of Audrey Hepburn than I am that she is doing a rewrite of My Fair Lady. Doesn't anyone have NEW creative ideas these days?

The "private" b-day party isn't so private if it's in the news ...

Posted by: Californian11 | August 9, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: yellojkt | August 9, 2010 8:27 AM

-------------------------------------------

Word.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | August 9, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

If you think Audrey Hepburn couldn't act, then you missed her in The Nun's Story (or Wait Until Dark, but that was mentioned above). I also wouldn't discount her in any of her lighter fare - it's much harder to do comedy than it looks. Almost any actor can pull off a histrionic and dramatic performance like Angelina Jolie's in the Changeling, but it takes timing and intelligence to hit the right notes in something like Charade.

Posted by: themegnapkin | August 9, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

65 year-old Rod Stewart gets his 39 year-old wife pregnant.

"You're in my heart
You're in my soul..."

That's not whom or what you've been in, Rod.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | August 9, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

If you think Audrey was good in Wait Until Dark then you never saw a stage version with a reasonably strong actress. The original script features a strong, stoic heroine. The Audrey Hepburn movie version is just a hot mess.

Posted by: Roxie1 | August 9, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

How does Gloria Allred hide her dorsal fin?

Allred should go into a more honorable line of law practice, such as ambulance chasing.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | August 9, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Isn't she a little old for Rod the Mod?

Posted by: kabuki3 | August 9, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Agree with themegnapkin re Audrey Hepburn. Audrey was also a trained ballerina who danced with co-star Fred Astaire in the film "Funny Face." Audrey and her mother suffered terrible privations in the Netherlands (or was it Belgium?) during WW II, after her English father left them behind. Audrey also was an early (if not the first) celeb UNICEF ambassador, and continued her good works traveling to visit some of the world's most suffering children even while battling terminal cancer.

It's worth recalling that Patricia Neal wasn't exactly "St. Pat" in her salad days. She had a notorious affair with her married, much-revered co-star Gary Cooper during the filming of "The Fountainhead." That said, she was a fine actress, and later in her career was notable in the holiday special "The Waltons" (although her problematic health precluded her accepting the role in the spin-off series).

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | August 9, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Thread-weaving alert (Paul Farhi would be so proud): Just checked Patricia Neal's Wikipedia bio, and discovered I'd forgotten that she was in "Breakfast at Tiffany's" (starring Audrey Hepburn).

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | August 9, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Wow, just looked up Patricia Neal on Wikipedia, re her affair with Cooper:

During the filming of The Fountainhead (1949), Neal had an affair with her married co-star, Gary Cooper, whom she had met in 1947 when she was 21 and he was 46. By 1950, Cooper's wife, Veronica, had found out about the relationship and sent Neal a telegram demanding they end it. Neal became pregnant by Cooper, but he persuaded her to have an abortion... The affair ended, but not before Cooper's daughter, Maria (now Maria Cooper Janis, born 1937), spat at Neal in public. Years after Cooper's death, Maria and her mother Veronica reconciled with Neal.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | August 9, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Hey Nosy--

I had the privilege of knowing Patricia Neal on and off for several years (my Mother lived in Edgartown). She was a lovely woman (that voice! you can id her from across a room). And she had a terribly tragic life (the son who was hit in the carriage was brain damaged and is functional, but speech and brain impaired). I just scanned her Wiki entry, and they kind of gloss over the fact that Dahl also had an affair with one of her best friends who was helping her relearn talking and motor skills after the anneurism. But, as I said, a lovely, lively and strong woman in her later years. I will miss her.

Anything of note happen last week? I was in Montana, hence my absence!

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | August 9, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Nosy, that story blows the whole Jen-Brad-Angie triangle right out of the water!

I can't help wondering what would happen if Laura Dern, Jen, or Vanessa Paradis spat at Angie in public ... LOL.

Posted by: Californian11 | August 9, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

"-- Emma Thompson explains why she's writing the screenplay for a "My Fair Lady" remake and insults a revered Hollywood icon in the process"

******************************************

Revered??? Emma Thompson simply told the truth. And I'm going to take it a step further. Jennifer Aniston is another one who cannot act. Why Hollywood keeps cranking out worthless movies with her in "starring" roles is beyond me. She also has no depth.

Posted by: gitouttahere | August 10, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse