Posted at 12:45 PM ET, 08/10/2010

Did Emma Watson cut her hair for 'Dragon Tattoo' audition?

By Sarah Anne Hughes

Emma Watson's pixie cut: liberation or audition? (Facebook)

Posted by Sarah Anne Hughes

When “Harry Potter” cutie Emma Watson announced on Facebook that she had chopped off her long locks in favor of a shocking pixie, it seemed she took the haircut plunge for personal reasons. Watson posted this message on her page: "Cut my hair off a few days ago ... Feels incredible. I love it. I've wanted to do this for years and years; it's the most liberating thing ever. Hope you like.”

But perhaps the cut was less about liberation and more about an audition. Sources, including the Sun, are speculating that the 20-year-old actress shed her tresses to audition for the role of Lisbeth Salander in the U.S. remake of “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.” Playing Salander, described by our own Paul Williams as a "pierced, bisexual, damaged and dangerous waif with a photographic memory and mad hacker skillz," would certainly help Watson shed her know-it-all Hermione image. Fellow "Potter" star Daniel Radcliffe attempted a similar feat when he stripped down for the play "Equus."

The aforementioned Mr. Williams didn't include Watson on his "Who shouldn't play Lisbeth Salander in 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo'" list, but to me she's still too close to her Hogwarts days to pull off the edgy role. Do you believe the haircut speculation? And would Watson be a good pick for "Tattoo"? Let us know in the comments.

By Sarah Anne Hughes  | August 10, 2010; 12:45 PM ET
Categories:  Celebrities
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 'Inception': A question that requires an answer
Next: Who is Brittani Senser, Levi Johnston's date at the Teen Choice Awards, anyway?

Comments

Perhaps that's why she wants an edgier role -- because she is close to her Hogwart days and wants to expand her repertoire?

I love the new 'do and can't believe all the hoopla about it. Reminds me of the tempest in a teacup over Hillary Rodham Clinton's headband way back when.

Posted by: Californian11 | August 10, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

she could be great- she radiates intelligence and youth ..

but how big is she..
THe character in the book is 4'10" and slight..
it's part of the story of why she's abuse and overlooked.

Posted by: newagent99 | August 10, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Ahem! I already commented on this the day her new 'do photo showed up. Do I get a prize?

Posted by: kabuki3 | August 10, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

We have yet to see Ms. Watson in anything significant outside of the "HP" ouevre - this could be just the breakout role that would get her serious acting career rolling. Kabuki may have tipped to this earlier, but if Emma was going all out "Sean Young (see Batman Returns)" for the role - why not dye the tresses? Plus just imagine the box office hype of "Hermoine" being bi-sexual, going nude, and getting brutally raped...

With that said, I still think Natalie Portman or Ellen Page might be better for the role of an Americanized Lizbeth Salander.

Posted by: gvanderlek | August 10, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Actually, I thought Emma Watson just wanted to study for a while and figure out whether or not she wanted to act again.

Maybe she auditioned, but maybe she just cut her hair because she was tired of Hermione-Hair and wanted something easier to roll out of bed with for an 8 o'clock class.

I just keep wondering how Burberry took it - isn't she still their spokesmodel?

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | August 10, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Okay, quick Google on my part - she's not Burberry's spokesmodel anymore.

Maybe she was just fed up with her hair and finally under no contractual obligations to wear it a certain way.

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | August 10, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

What's the big deal? She cut her hair, she looks cute.

Posted by: Guest1234 | August 10, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

I've seen the original version, she wouldn't be a good fit. I can't see her having much chemistry with the likes of Daniel Craig who has been cast as the lead.

Posted by: vypergts | August 10, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

I like Natalie Portman better. Or a no name actress so we can really consider the character.

Posted by: Roxie1 | August 10, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

She looks gorgeous, and I can't see a speck of Hermoine in that photo.

Posted by: kbockl | August 10, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Emma Watson's pixie?! Wow!
HERMIONE GOT HOT!