Posted at 12:00 AM ET, 08/30/2010

Emmy Awards 2010: The fashion breakdown

By Jen Chaney

Jane Lynch, flawless on the Emmy red carpet. (AP) | VIEW MORE EMMY FASHION PHOTOS

White was a major trend on the Emmy Awards red carpet (see Kim Kardashian, who wore it rather well). So was navy blue (see Lea Michele, in Oscar de la Renta, accented by an attention-grabbing necklace).

But, as is always the case on the award show circuit, not everyone ended the evening as a fashion winner. With that said, here are my picks for best and worst dressed, followed by a poll that allows you to rank some of the notable Emmy ensembles.

Best-dressed: Jane Lynch

Maybe it's the fact that she spends most of her broadcast-television time wearing a track suit. But I thought Jane Lynch looked flawless in a purple Ali Rahimi, one-shoulder gown. It fit her nicely, she looked comfortable in it and it popped perfectly in HD. Well-done.

Worst-dressed: January Jones

January Jones, nominated for an Emmy and in need of a hairbrush. (AP)

Someone will undoubtedly say that the actress also known as Betty Draper on "Mad Men" really "pushed the envelope" and "made a bold statement" by wearing this blue Versace. I thought it was an unfortunate example of a gorgeous woman flubbing up big time on the red carpet. The gown borrowed a page from the "look at the weird stuff on my breasts!" book originally written by Charlize Theron's 2010 Oscar dress. Jones's hair looked as though she'd shown up to the Emmys right after a heated round of Seven Minutes in Heaven. Plus, she apparently was wearing earrings worth more than $1 million, both of which were totally invisible beneath all that frizz. On the plus side: Her shoes were cute.

Now that my fashion rant is over, it's your turn to rank some of the ensembles, from best to worst, in this poll:

By Jen Chaney  | August 30, 2010; 12:00 AM ET
Categories:  Fashion, TV  | Tags:  Emmy Awards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Emmy Awards 2010: Live Tweets during the telecast
Next: 'Mad Men,' 'Modern Family,' 'Glee' win big at 2010 Emmys; Ricky Gervais makes Bucky Gunts an Emmy star; Paris Hilton well-coiffed despite drug arrest

Comments

I put my votes in order of cup size with Christina Hendricks, Jewel, and Kim Kardashian topping out the list, so to speak.

Posted by: yellojkt | August 30, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Er, I meant shoe size.

Posted by: yellojkt | August 30, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

IMHO the guy from Modern Family in that grey tux & workboots & his wife were the worst dressed, but January Jones is running a very close second with Lauren Graham as a third.

Lauren Graham's dress looked like it wasn't finished in time so the designer grabbed a napkin & tossed it on & said "Oh nooo dahling, you will look BEE-YOO-TEE-FULL!! It's all the latest rage in fashion circles this napkin look!!"

The only good thing about January Jones' outfit is the color, good color.

And Ty Burrell...what to say about THAT fashion-don't...workboots? Really?

Posted by: wadejg | August 30, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: yellojkt | August 30, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse
_______________________

Immature AND not funny. Nice.

Posted by: Gnillew9 | August 30, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

The Fug Girls live-blogged the red carpet last night for NY Magazine. I don't know if the filters here will allow me to repeat it, so you should definitely read their take on Holly Burrell's dress (@6:17 pm).

I will warn you, you will not be able un-see what they saw, once you read it. It's work-safe, just a very plainly-stated observation that would make Georgia O'Keefe proud.

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | August 30, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

My fave Fug comment, after the aforementioned comment which is at 6:17PM for those looking:

7:01 p.m.: Tina Fey is in floor-length grey Oscar de la Renta, with black scroll detail. It's snug, it's nice, her hair and makeup look good.... this seems like a real bid to be as inoffensive as possible, and it's working. We like it, but we don't want to take it home and get it drunk, you know?

Posted by: wadejg | August 30, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

My fug-girl favorite:

"...January Jones. Her hair is down and mussed, and her blue dress is either really pretty and unique, or a lampshade at a relatively cheerful brothel."

Posted by: yellojkt | August 30, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Best: Jane Lynch, Kyra Sedgwick, Tina Fey. I like a middle-aged woman who knows how to dress with elegance and respect for her body. Worst: January Jones and Anna Paquin. Jones's dress is a wonderful color but the Betty Flintstone flared skirt with Madonna cone breasts doesn't work for me, and her hair was awful. She was wearing million dollar earrings, which were invisible under those limp locks. Very happy for the newlyweds Moyer and Paquin, but short girls ought not to go for a Zena Warrior Princess meets Pharoah's guardsman look. Charlize Theron might have been able to pull it off.

Posted by: greyK | August 30, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

The white part of Lauren Graham's dress looks like one of those breastfeeding cover-up contraptions.

Posted by: MPAmom | August 30, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Lauren Graham's dress -- nothing but a sloppy mess. Christina Hendricks -- honey, we see them, you don't need to put them on a platter all the time and that color is AWFUL on you (unless you're playing a corpse on Six Feet Under?). Jewel, honey, you're not on the prairie anymore.

Posted by: Jayne | August 30, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Suggest you rethink opinion of JJ's dress. I hardly think she flubbed it big time" a-la Bjork or similar. Aside from the train being perhaps a bit much, I think the blue actually compliments her. Agreed, her hair is not done-up but it is not a birds nest either. And the voting seems to favor her to -- #6 (so far) does not even put her in bottom half.

Posted by: redrocket | August 30, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse