Posted at 8:17 AM ET, 08/18/2010

Heidi Montag and other celebs mourn death of plastic surgeon; Lindsay Lohan is offered $1 million for post-jail interview

By Jen Chaney

Wednesday

Celebrity Beat: Dr. Frank Ryan -- plastic surgeon to numerous celebrities, including Heidi Montag -- dies after car accident; Ryan was reportedly texting behind the wheel at the time of the crash; Montag and others mourn loss of "an angel"... Lindsay Lohan is offered $1 million for first post-jail interview... Jay-Z tops Forbes list of world's richest rappers... Erykah Badu fined for public nudity during music video shoot... Marilyn Manson and Evan Rachel Wood call off engagement... Samantha Harris expecting second child.

Rumor Mill: Witness claims to have seen Jesse James and Kat Von D kissing, despite denial of a romantic relationship... Oksana Grigorieva's attorneys may subpoena Mel Gibson's ex-wife in ongoing dispute over Gibson's alleged abuse... Tareq Salahi of "Real Housewives of D.C." loses lawsuit over money owed to printing company.

Pop Culture: In still more news about the movie that can't stop adding to its cast, January Jones joins the ensemble in "X-Men: First Class"... J.J. Abrams and "Lost" director Jack Bender developing movie "7 Minutes in Heaven"... Biopic of Bob Marley being developed... HBO developing Kevin Spacey series "The Crux," about the leader of a cult... A look at the 10 greatest moments in 3D history.

Video: Ballet gets creepy in Darren Aronofsky's "Black Swan," starring Natalie Portman, Mila Kunis and the fact that Portman and Kunis share a screen kiss:

By Jen Chaney  | August 18, 2010; 8:17 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Daily Mix, Pop Culture
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Dr. Laura to end her radio show
Next: With 'Vampires Suck,' isn't it time to stop the spoof-movie genre?

Comments

Terrible news about Dr. Ryan - I can't believe it. I can't believe Heidi Montag is going to look like that forever.

"Lindsay Lohan offered $1 million for first post-jail interview." For the rest of us, though, it's still, "Go directly to jail. Do not pass GO. Do not collect $200."

"Marilyn Manson and Evan Rachel Wood call off engagement." Once again, MM is glad he had that rib removed.

"Samantha Harris expecting second child." Which one is the celeb?

Future News Item: Tareq Salahi of "Real Housewives of D.C." loses lawsuit over money owed to law firm that represented him in a lawsuit over money owed to printing company.

Prediction: "Black Swan" is going to be huuuuuuuuge with the demographic of "Males 18-35 who don't give a s*** about ballet."

Posted by: byoolin1 | August 18, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Considering that Heidi was considering more plastic surgery, the accident might have been a blessing in disguise.

7 Minutes in Heaven -- isn't that a middle school party game?

To the WashingtonPost Editor who invaded our blog with the news about Dr. Laura -- don't do that again. Put that crap in politics. Don't try to increase page views at the expense of true celeb news.

Posted by: epjd | August 18, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

what ep said

Lilo $1M interview. Everyone saw that coming.

Perhaps in the circles frequented by Mr. James and Ms. von D, kissing is a common sign of friendship.

The Salahis and the Real Housewives franchise deserve each other.

Ludacris should play Bob Marley.

I thot HBO already had a series about a cult, called Big Love.

Posted by: reddragon1 | August 18, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

"Ryan was reportedly texting behind the wheel at the time of the crash" -- hi-d u r do 4 2-nup n lube call my off--

"Montag and others mourn loss of 'an angel'" -- He was like Raphael with a sewing needle and thread, stitching up the faithful. I'd get all teary about it but I just got Botox and my face won't move.

(In all seriousness, RIP, Dr. Ryan. Poor guy. What a sad thing to happen.)

"Lindsay Lohan is offered $1 million for first post-jail interview" -- Right now prison guards are jockeying for shifts in hopes of getting some payola if Lindsay happens to get into a certain car [wink wink].

"Jay-Z tops Forbes list of world's richest rappers" -- On the bottom? A tie, Vanilla Ice and Snow.

"HBO developing Kevin Spacey series 'The Crux,' about the leader of a cult" -- Just tell me he's not going to sing. I still haven't recovered from "Beyond the Sea: The Bobby Darin Story." [shudder]

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | August 18, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

While I do feel bad for the guy who died and his family, I have to say - thank goodness he didn't kill anyone else (or apparently his dog that was in the car with him) due to his texting and driving...

Seriously people - two hands on the wheel, two eyes on the road.

I once saw a woman driving 70+ mph down Route 270, she was in the left lane. She had a book that she was holding up to the steering wheel and was reading while driving. She had an infant in the back seat. I honked and honked and gestured at her to watch the damn road. It was insane.

Posted by: LTL1 | August 18, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Seriously people - two hands on the wheel, two eyes on the road.

I had to wonder what book could possibly be THAT good?

Posted by: LTL1 | August 18, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Wait, byoolin, are you saying there was ballet in that movie trailer?

Is it wrong that I read the headline as being "Heidi Montag -- dies after car accident" and thought, it might just be a good day.

How can that be a collection of the best moments in 3D and leave off Jaws 3D?

Somebody please tell me they are going to stay true to Emma Frost's ideas on clothing.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | August 18, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Snow!

Oh, no, you didn't! I remember seeing him on MuchMusic and thinking, "Well, at least nobody outside of Canada will ever hear of him."

Posted by: byoolin1 | August 18, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

And a double post for double your pleasure, and in an effort to keep up with the Post Magazine, a challenge -

Find the Differences in These Two Posts...

LTL sheepishly goes back to lurking...

Posted by: LTL1 | August 18, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Apparently, byoolin, Snow's not really a rapper, it turns out. My bad.

Canadian hip hop (who knew?):

That still won't stop me from having "Informer" running through my head for the next several hours though. "A licky boom-boom down" to you all.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | August 18, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I was all set to nerdrage on the 3-D article. Then I clicked through and saw that it was classic 3-D! Not a scene from "Clash of the Titans" to be found! Ahhhh.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | August 18, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Jesse James and Kat Von D
K-i-s-s-i-n-g
Kat adds a tat
So does James
And the whole hook-up is just so lame

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | August 18, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

I was hoping for belly dancing, but I'd watch a movie of Natalie Portman sleeping, even if it were directed by the guy who inflicted The Wrestler on unsuspecting audiences.

Posted by: kabuki3 | August 18, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

I just finished visiting the Dr. Frank Ryan Foundation web site. While the foundation as portrayed on the web site seems legit, I can't shake the feeling that a major reason Ryan created his eponymous foundation was to enable him to write live at the Bony Pony Ranch and have his foundation own it for the tax benefits.

Bony Pony Ranch.........that's a creepy name for a kid's ranch. What's next? A cantina for adults named Donkey Dick's?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | August 18, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

... I'd watch a movie of Natalie Portman sleeping...

Posted by: kabuki

***

It's a bit grainy - camera operator had to turn the gain waaaaaaay up on the night-vision sensor, and it's a little shaky because it's at maximum zoom and one-hand-held (the other was holding on to the tree, of course). And the curtains keep blowing in and out of frame.

Posted by: byoolin1 | August 18, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

They should publicize Ryans death way more. texting while driving- stupid. Texting while driving on a road where you might run off a cliff - whatever is beyond stupid. What a tool.

Kat v D + jesse James, nothing romantic about it, FWB.

Posted by: ronjaboy | August 18, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Kat v D + Jesse James, nothing romantic about it, FWB.

Posted by: ronjaboy | August 18, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

So I can't beleive Jen didn't pick up on Who Should Play Bob Marley? Maybe not Ludacris. Maybe Whoopi Goldberg.

Posted by: reddragon1 | August 18, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

I'm with LTL1--2 eyes on the road, 2 hands on the wheel please. On the other hand, we're less one more idiot texting. Fortunately, he didn't take anyone else out with him, though I'm sorry the dog had to suffer for his idiocy.

Just yesterday, I was nearly run down by someone grinning maniacally while texting. The grin never waivered even when he realized, or sensed just past his phone, that there was someone standing on the curb to cross the road. He just continued texting. He was close enough that I could see his thumb continuing to move over the screen.

Posted by: lostcyclist | August 18, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

I think it shows that all of us are susceptible to the urge to answer those seductive chimes and buzzes when we get an incoming text - even if its while we are operating a 5,000 pound piece of steel and glass.

I hope Ms. Montag uses this tragedy as an opportunity to speak out against texting and driving. With her popularity she could save lives on our highways with just one simple announcement. 6,000 deaths a year to text and drive...can we all say "no more!"

ERIK WOOD, owner
OTTER LLC

Posted by: ErikWood | August 18, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Oh man Snow and Informer... Licky boom boom to you too TD...

Posted by: LTL1 | August 18, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Way to click "send" on the Darwin Award application, Dr. Ryan. At least no one had to go with you.

Posted by: northgs | August 18, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I bet Montag is mourning the loss of her plastic surgeon. Now she has to find another one who will continue her creepy transformation into freakshow-land.

On a serious note, when will texting while driving be considered equivalent or worse to DWI? It's crazy that some people still think they can text and drive -- despite all evidence to the contrary.

Posted by: Californian11 | August 18, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Texting while driving will get your face rearranged for a lot less money than cosmetic surgery. Of course, you get what you pay for......

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | August 18, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Ms. Snatchquatch, who works with a group of ambulance chas..er...personal injury attorneys, says that standard procedure in every vehicle accident investigation includes a subpoena of wireless records of all parties involved to ascertain if any party was talking or texting at the time of the accident. Anyone found to be talking or texting at the time of the accident has a major uphill climb against the presumption of contributory or outright negligence (depends on the state). If another party is killed in the accident, the talker-texter is likely looking at a felony charge of involuntary manslaughter.

If the call or message is that ****ing important, PULL OFF the road to get it. Or if someone is riding with you, let THEM take the call or message.

Otherwise, HANG UP and DRIVE!

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | August 18, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Surgeons in the aggregate seem to have the biggest god-complexes in the medical establishment (though a shout-out to a certain PCP with the best people-skills I've ever encountered!). So, I'm guessing Dr. Ryan probably thought he was immortal, and impervious to the laws of physics as well. Still, I feel so sad for his family, and extend them my heartfelt condolences.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | August 18, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Glad to hear that, sas!!!

I was hit back in January, and I saw on the police report afterwards that there is a field to check for "wireless device in use at the time of the accident", followed by checkmarks for either voice conversation or texting.

Posted by: Californian11 | August 18, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | August 18, 2010 11:18 AM

Bony Pony Ranch sounds like the name of a wh0rehouse, and Donkey Dick's certainly should be the name of a beachside cantina in some Spring Break town, if it isn't already.

Posted by: northgs | August 18, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

This is unbelievable, how can one be so clueless as to drive off a cliff. Poor guy, he let texting dominate his life over safety.

Posted by: Johnny10 | August 18, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Tabloid News is Not Real News
Public record shows Lohan passed ALL mandated drug tests since probation.

Tabloids probably pay posters to fluff-up these articles with SOS (rich, tramp, martian, blah blah:)

Real winners are the tabloids - very profitable it seems.

Posted by: snhi | August 18, 2010 8:58 PM | Report abuse