Posted at 4:32 PM ET, 08/ 5/2010

Is it time for a Michael Keaton comeback?

By Jen Chaney

The summer of 2010 could mark a comeback for Michael Keaton.

As those who once succumbed to the charms of "Mr. Mom" can attest, Keaton used to be one of Hollywood's more prominent male stars. Though he had his share of flops ("Gung Ho," "The Dream Team"), he also carried comedies like "Night Shift" and the aforementioned "Mom," and brought to life iconic characters like Beetlejuice and the Tim Burton version of "Batman" to life.

Eventually -- after a mix of decent films ("The Paper," "Jackie Brown") and duds ("Multipicity" and "Jack Frost") in the '90s -- Keaton's career slowed down. He appeared in "White Noise," which made ... no "Noise" at all. He showed up in forgettable rom-coms like "First Daughter," did some smaller films here and there, and was almost cast as Jack Shephard on "Lost" until it became clear that the part required a long-term commitment.

Overall, things have been pretty quiet for Mr. Keaton. I suspect that may change.

After providing the voice for Ken, one of the most delicious characters in this summer's "Toy Story 3," Keaton has followed up with a very funny turn in "The Other Guys," the Will Ferrell/Mark Wahlberg buddy-cop spoof. As a police captain who splits his time between keeping tabs on rogue cops and managing a Bed, Bath and Beyond, Keaton doesn't quite steal the movie from Ferrell and Wahlberg. But his turn in the gritty absurd-athon -- which has the potential to unseat "Inception" at the weekend box office -- certainly is a reminder of what a gift Keaton has for comedy. (A running gag related to TLC also had me laughing out loud during a recent "Other Guys" screening.) For the first time in a long time, I saw the man on a big screen and thought: "Michael Keaton is great. That guy needs more work."

Right now, according to imdb, Keaton does not appear to have too much on his agenda. And maybe that's by design. But surely some filmmakers are going to again take notice of the "Batdance"-era Bruce Wayne and start offering better parts. (The team at Cinematical is apparently hoping the same thing.)

What do you think? Is it time for a Keaton comeback? Would you like to see him doing more comedies again? Or would you rather watch him revisit the role of Beetlejuice in some sort of sequel?

By Jen Chaney  | August 5, 2010; 4:32 PM ET
Categories:  Movies, Pop Culture
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Adieu, Mary Hart: The 'ET' hostess is stepping down
Next: Emma Watson unveils shockingly short haircut; Robbie Williams set to marry

Comments

Michael Keaton as Jack Shepard? Wow! I'm trying to imagine that.

Posted by: LittleRed1 | August 5, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Beetlejuice and Mr. Mom were two of my favorite movies from the 80s, and Keaton was always my favorite Batman. I would love to see him as a comeback. I was sorry to see him go the first time!

Posted by: MarylandJ | August 5, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kabuki3 | August 5, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

I always liked MK. He was funny and yet at the same time - yet there was always seemed to be a hidden dark side to him. That's why I thought he was the best Batman.

Posted by: cmecyclist | August 6, 2010 6:47 AM | Report abuse

Just watched the Youtube clip. I could watch these two together for hours! Funny stuff!

Posted by: cmecyclist | August 6, 2010 7:02 AM | Report abuse

Michael Keaton as Jack Shepard? Wow! I'm trying to imagine that.

Posted by: LittleRed1 | August 5, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse
***********************************************

Seriously, once I read that I spent about 5 minutes going through the seasons putting Michael Keaton into them.

Wow.

Just.

Wow.

Would've been a different show.

Speaking of Lost:

I spent a few hours drooling over the online catalog last nite.

Posted by: wadejg | August 6, 2010 8:01 AM | Report abuse

The absolute best Batman, super talent
This guy should be working

Posted by: vacarollm | August 6, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

I thought I was the only one who remembers "Night Shift".
"I'm an idea man, Chuck" still pops out of my mouth on occasion.

Posted by: EinDC | August 6, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

For those surprised about Michael Keaton playing Jack on Lost...Jack was originally supposed to die in the pilot. But after talking to some people or showi9ng it to test audiences (I can't remember which) people didn't like that idea because you were invested in the character and then *poof* he was dead. So Smokey killed the pilot instead. And Michael Keaton would been on the show for about half an episode.

Posted by: luvlydawter | August 6, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

His Batman was definitely the best, although Ledger's joker was better than Nicholson.

Yep - more work for Keaton, please. His name will draw me to any movie. He's equally skilled at drama or comedy. Nightshift and Beetlejuice are a couple of my faves.

Posted by: mooncusser | August 6, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Best Batman by a mile.

Posted by: MarylanDChris | August 6, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Best Batman by a mile.

Posted by: MarylanDChris | August 6, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Wow! I can't believe no one--not even the writer--mentioned MK's sterling acting job in the drug-rehab drama, "Clean and Sober." His performance earned a lot of well-deserved praise. I would love to see him in more movies, comedy or drama.

Posted by: SpringGrrl | August 6, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Michael Keaton was very good in "Clean & Sober", playing a recovering multi-addict. It was a dramatic role, that he stamped with charm. He's kind of an actor's-actor. I think he'd do well in an Eastwood film.

Posted by: molsonmich | August 6, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

The man is versatile - funny, emotional, vulnerable, engaging. He is usually underrated and underestimated. I hope he comes back - we need him...

Posted by: strausssean | August 6, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

From the headline, I assumed you were referring to Diane Keaton. No disrespect to Michael Keaton, but I'm disappointed. Let's face it: it's time for more roles for Diane Keaton and the other fabulous boomer actresses. (Like, why couldn't SHE have been the police chief in the summer guys' buddy movie?) Something's gotta give!

Posted by: MEppinger | August 6, 2010 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Wow -- no one has mentioned one of my favorite completely slapstick pun-filled movies -- Johnny Dangerously. HBO ran it a couple of weeks ago and I laughed all the way through it. Yes, it's absolutely silly, but don't we all need that every once in a while?

Oh, and it's old school. Can't think of a 4-letter word in there. But it did make me wonder what had happened to MK.

Posted by: cwatt | August 6, 2010 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Hands down the best Batman in my opinion - well, at least for this boomer who grew up with Adam West as the Caped Crusader. (smile)

And I can't believe Multiplicity got dissed in this article! True that it had a slow start, but once the good doctor started cloning MK, it was fun.

Posted by: Sharon_59 | August 6, 2010 7:47 PM | Report abuse

michael keaton plays a really good, creepy bad guy.

Posted by: BMACattack | August 6, 2010 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Agreed. His role in Pacific Heights still gives me the creeps! Saw one of my favorite all-time scenes in Mr. Mom just the other night. "220, 221 . . . whatever it takes."

Posted by: sapark_98 | August 6, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Gung-Ho was a FANTASTIC! movie.

Posted by: mjwies11 | August 6, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Michael Keaton sucks.

Posted by: dokbionic | August 7, 2010 1:03 AM | Report abuse

Thank you for the Michael Keaton plug. I've been a fan for years. He can do it all comedy, drama, absurdist, horror, etc. Don't know why he doesn't get more work. He is truly underrated.

Posted by: doobrah | August 9, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse