Posted at 1:50 PM ET, 08/12/2010

John McCain and Snooki take their public flirting to a new (weird) level

By Melissa Bell

BFFs: Snooki and John McCain (Jason Merritt/Getty Images; AP/Face the Nation, Chris Usher)

Posted by Melissa Bell

John McCain: United States Senator. Vietnam hero. Former prisoner of war. Fan of Snooki.

Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi: Tequila Drinker. Pink Slipper Wearer. Poofy Hair Trend-Starter. Fan of John McCain.

These two crazy kids, despite their differences, have managed to find common ground: their mutual admiration for, well, each other.

For those not totally caught up on "Jersey Shore" lore, the story starts with a tan.

Snooki did not appreciate President Obama's 10 percent tax increase on tanning beds and let it be known on her television show. In June, McCain tweeted his support for her:

@Sn00ki u r right, I would never tax your tanning bed! Pres Obama's tax/spend policy is quite The Situation. but I do rec wearing sunscreen!less than a minute ago via web

It seems that McCain's daughter Megan worked as the matchmaker, prodding her father to tweet at Snooki. In a July interview with Megan McCain, Snooki says she voted for McCain because, "He was really cute and I liked when he did his speeches."

Fast-forward to August when Snooki found herself arrested for disorderly conduct on a Jersey beach. The self-dubbed Guidette was drunk; she went to jail.

Enter Twitter again, where Mike O'Brien of The Hill reported that McCain voiced his support for Snooki on the Phoenix-based radio station KMLE:

McCain on the radio: "I kind of thing she [Snooki] might be too good looking to go to jail." @SenJohnMcCainless than a minute ago via Seesmic

Where this affair is headed, we can't exactly be sure, but I, for one, would love to see a McCain Guido makeover.

Melissa Bell is a blogger at The Washington Post. She does not have an opinion about the hotness of either Snooki or John McCain. She does, however, think Michael Cera looks better in hair gel.

By Melissa Bell  | August 12, 2010; 1:50 PM ET
Categories:  Celebrities
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Talking 'Lost' with Michael Emerson -- Emmys, epilogue, finale and more
Next: Want to know why so many people hate movie critics? Here you go.

Comments

Wouldn't be the first time McCain went after a hawt younger woman. Of course, we'd have to redefine "hawt."

Posted by: reddragon1 | August 12, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

where's vivid entertainment when you - oh god... what am i saying

Posted by: quintiliusvarus | August 12, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Quin-you're just saying what we're all thinking. Or, if we weren't, we are now.

Posted by: karmadrome | August 12, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I agree with karmadrome and note that it's actually "vivvid," I think.

Posted by: byoolin1 | August 12, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Also, I'm glad to read that he's courting a somewhat-more qualified candidate to be his next running mate.

Posted by: byoolin1 | August 12, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

I think what bothers me the most is that Sen. McCain tweets in text-speak. That is so wrong!

Posted by: DCCubefarm | August 13, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse