Posted at 1:30 PM ET, 08/ 2/2010

Justin Bieber to release a memoir

By Jen Chaney

Justin Bieber: author. (AP)

If we believed everything we read about Justin Bieber, we'd currently be convinced that he died (at least once), contracted syphilis and is about to embark on a tour of North Korea. But the latest Bieber news does not appear to be another Google-trending meme.

Harper Collins announced today that Bieber is publishing a memoir with the colon-heavy title "Justin Bieber: First Step 2 Forever: My Story" that will be be released in October. The book promises to reveal all the details of his "amazing journey to stardom," a journey that, it should be pointed out, has lasted all of 16 years.

Hey, remember when people busted on Dave Eggers for writing "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius" when he was just shy of 30? That seems kind of dumb right now, doesn't it?

But seriously, Bieber has plenty of material with which to fill a rich life history. Surely there will be an entire section devoted to the tumultuous, soul-searching creative process that led to the writing of "Baby." And if this book is worth any of the ink used to print it, there had better be a chapter -- at least -- devoted to his hair.

This much is clear -- the Justin Bieber book makes a ripe candidate for the Celebritology book club.

What revelations do you expect from the Bieber autobio? Will you buy a copy?

By Jen Chaney  | August 2, 2010; 1:30 PM ET
Categories:  Books, Celebrities  | Tags:  Justin Bieber
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 'Mad Men': Why it's great to see Freddy again
Next: Charlie Sheen pleads guilty, avoids jail time

Comments

I will only buy a copy if he manages to tell us all how he's channeling the Hypnotoad. Otherwise, I see little reason for his outlandish success.

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | August 2, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOBIEBER.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | August 2, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

We interrupt this episode of Hypnotoad...

*facepalm* I can see it now.

"Tuesday, april 6 2010 was a crazy day for me. I tried parting my hair on the other side. My mom got so totally mad at me. I'm glad the fangirls outside didn't see me cry."

Posted by: eet7e | August 2, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

I plan to be one of the first to read all 2 pages of JuBie's memoir.

Posted by: kbockl | August 2, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Wouldn't he have to read a book before he could write one?

Posted by: donhinds | August 2, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

"Colon-heavy" as in, "What a load of s---", methinks. But it'll be touted as the book to save publishing in 2010.

Posted by: northgs | August 2, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

I think I'll wait for the sequel, "Justin Bieber 2: The Second Step 2 Forever: In Which I Go Back To My Trailer And Get My Strunk & White: But On The Plus Side: It's Better Than That Load Of celinedion, 'Celine Dion: My Smarmy, Smarmy, Smarmy Life.'"

Posted by: byoolin1 | August 2, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Miley Cyrus write an autbiography a year or two ago?

Posted by: KevFromArlington | August 2, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

This was the kid who didn't know what the word "German" meant, right?

Posted by: sarahabc | August 2, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Considering both the likely audience and the title, I expect it to be "written" in textspeak, possibly illustrated with lolcats.

I have a rule of not reading autobiographies and biographies of people who are still living, unless they have completed the thing that is the focus of the book. For instance, a former President could easily make a case for memoirs. An actress at the end of her career, sure. But a pop "music" sensation who isn't even old enough to vote? It would feel like the story isn't over, even though we all hope it is.

Posted by: DCCubefarm | August 3, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

This was the kid who didn't know what the word "German" meant, right?

Well, sarahabc, maybe he should run for President. Bush II was asked what the Taliban was, and he thought it was a rock band.

Posted by: kabuki3 | August 3, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse