Posted at 8:57 AM ET, 08/ 6/2010

Kanye West's 'Power' vs. Eminem's 'Love the Way You Lie'

By Jen Chaney

Two new music videos -- yeah, you heard me, actual music videos -- made their much-publicized debuts last night on MTV. The first was Eminem's "Love the Way You Lie," featuring Rihanna; the second Kanye West's "Power." Which one was the best video of all time ... or at least the better of the two?

Eminem's entry features not just Rihanna, but Megan Fox and Charlie Pace (aka Dominic Monaghan) intermittently smacking each other and making out ferociously. Oh, and also people and houses going up in flames:

The Kanye clip, or so-called moving painting, gives us sexualized religious imagery, an artistic sensibility and, of course, Mr. West in a position of "Power."

So which one makes the most impact? Vote now.

By Jen Chaney  | August 6, 2010; 8:57 AM ET
Categories:  Music, TV  | Tags:  Kanye West
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Emma Watson unveils shockingly short haircut; Robbie Williams set to marry
Next: Friday List: Ranking the John Hughes characters

Comments

Posted by: wadejg | August 6, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Can't we have a third button that says "Neither. Both these guys obviously have serious relationship issues."

Posted by: changling | August 6, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

the eminem vid is genius... it's the one way rhianna can tell ole chris he's a jackass in her own way and at the same time explain something about it to the rest of us. Without her singing the chorus it's just another video...

but even leaving the fact that eminem's actually carries a subtext and an interesting message, Kanye's video should be featured on Fox's new show 'Can you rap better than a 5th grader'. Just pathetic.

Posted by: quintiliusvarus | August 6, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: wadejg
--------------------

Ditto!

Posted by: cbmuzik | August 6, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

ok, Followers, follow me, since you gyus fox news followers can't make up your own mind without watching hannity or o'reilly...sorry to say but that kanye video is pure genius...it makes you want to watch it again to get a better understanding of what's he's saying through the video...Genius....taylor who?

Posted by: mbangour78 | August 6, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I voted for eminem. Not because I like him, but because I'd like to smack Megan Fox myself.

Posted by: reddragon1 | August 6, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Kanye's vid is absolute genius. The problem is, if you don't have (or can't bother to Google) the artistic vocabulary, you can't understand it.

Google "Sword of Damocles" and it sorts itself out. The story of the vid is in the images, not the lyrics.

Em gets minus five points for putting that piece of cardboard Megan Fox in his project.

Posted by: hoos3014 | August 6, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

"We really need to start including a "neither" or "I don't care" option on these polls."

We do...it is called not reading the story

Posted by: Bious | August 6, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

OK.. First of all i like Kanye's Video!

second: Why bother putting a poll up if your going to have a bias article? You glorify Kanye and you beat down eminiem, then ask for peoples opinion? I would much rather just have the straight facts and then ask for a poll...

Anyways thanks for posting these video!

Posted by: deydreaminBoUtme | August 6, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wadejg
--------------------

Ditto!

Posted by: cbmuzik | August 6, 2010 11:06 AM
----------------------
It's hillarious to me that people who claim they don't care about something take the time to a) read the article and b) post a comment about what they've read. My ex girlfriend would sometimes try to get me to read an article on some American Idol fan site and I would always refuse because I didn't care and told her so. Why don't you two do the same?

Posted by: 6thsense79 | August 6, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wadejg
--------------------

Ditto!

Posted by: cbmuzik | August 6, 2010 11:06 AM
----------------------
_______________________

For your information, I didn't even read the article. I saw the names "Eminem" and "Kanye" and agreed with the comment.

Don't reply when you have no reason why my friend.

Posted by: cbmuzik | August 6, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Kanye West's "Power" video is very unique compared to most hip hop videos and deserves recognition regardless of how you feel toward the man.
I love that song, it has a strong lyrics with alot of feeling and an outstanding beat to compliment it. If that music video was just footage of crop dusting with the song in the background it would still be hot!
Sucks it didnt have the full song but thats what I have my ipod for.
If interuppting Taylor Swift's acceptance speech is what it takes for this man to come out with hot fire like this, then by all means Kanye, come interrupt my future wedding if it inspires to make more great music like "power".
And as far as eminem's song, I havent been a fan of his since "the eminem show", he took singing overboard since then.

Posted by: 642510 | August 6, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Why is that fugly guy from the Lord of the Rings making out with Megan Fox?

He has to be the weirdest, ugliest guy I've ever seen on television.

Posted by: kenk3 | August 6, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Video to video, it's Power, but song to song, it's Love the Way You Lie.

Posted by: dkp01 | August 6, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

I picked the eminem mostly because I liked the Rhianna (sp?) part. I think she should ditch eminem and turn that into a song of her own. For the record, I was an art major and I "get" the whole Kanye video, I just don't think it's very good. Also, Kanye's Taylor Swift incident played no part in my vote.

Posted by: talleyl | August 9, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Wow! I'm surprised to see that after 4,000 plus votes..Eminem has a huge lead over Kanye. Even though the Author made fun of Em's video in the end about houses burning and not realizing the message that it signified. (woosh) Right over their head I guess lol. Anyhow, I love both these artists and I just heard Kanye's song and video yesterday. It was amazing. The question to me is more complicated because Kanye's video is genius in the sense of how the director used all those images to tell something deep and meaningful. And Em's brilliant combination of lyrical genius and structuring Rihanna sweet voice within the chaos is utter perfection. However, the question was which VIDEO was the best...not song. So, I had to pick Kanye's video...it was just jaw dropping and after you pick up your jaw..you want to replay it again, and again, and again, and....well you get the point. That being said...Em's lyrical flow and song is far better.
p.s. And to the morons who had to make 5th grader comments like (read this part with your version of a stupid-ignorant persons voice), "We really need to start including a "neither" or "I don't care" option on these polls.
I second what Bious posted and that is..."We do...it is called not reading the story" In other words, if you don't like it then keep it moving. It's just pathetic to me and the majority on here to read your sad little comment that just oozes out that you were either dropped as a baby or mommy & daddy didn't hold you enough. I mean c'mon...grow up. The question was which video is better. Even if you hate both artists and videos...you still can pick one. And if they equally suck (which basically shows your immaturity) than move on..you sad little insignificant nobody.
Peace. haha

Posted by: choyoyoing | August 9, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

For those saying that this song was Rihanna's message to Chris Brown or an explanation of the attraction and strange ways abusive relationships stay together, you're hitting on a side note. This song is written by Eminem and if you follow Eminem's music from the past at all, you'd know that this is hitting on his relationship tendencies. His mother suffered from an abusive relationship and much like she suffered, Marshall was exposed to violence which he later would exhibit himself.

And for those saying they want a neither option, there is one. It's called stop reading articles and commenting on polls that either anger you, or do no interest you. I don't go and comment on polls of articles which bore me, so why do you feel so satisfied making your irrelevant view (in terms of the poll's prompt) so strongly clear via comment.

Posted by: lcorbett1 | August 10, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: wadejg
--------------------

Ditto!

Posted by: cbmuzik | August 6, 2010 11:06 AM
----------------------
_______________________

Don't reply when you have no reason why my friend.

--------------------

Hahahahahahaha wow. The immaturity of people who can't even see the irony in their posts. Your explanation of why you posted what you did shows your intolerance towards a subject for no reason and the "Don't reply when you have no reason why my friend" just caps it off. Your response had no reason either, truly. Your explanation offered no more insight to your original post. In fact, it only took away from it. And to make sure I don't fall into this category, "Don't reply when you have no reason why my friend," I'm making sure that everyone knows I'm simply trying to expose blatant hypocrisy that would most likely otherwise go unnoticed.

Posted by: lcorbett1 | August 10, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse