Posted at 4:20 PM ET, 08/ 6/2010

'Lost' epilogue leaked online. And it explains everything! Sort of.

By Jen Chaney

New: Michael Emerson (aka Ben Linus) discusses the epilogue and more.

The 12-minute epilogue to "Lost," which is included in the DVD box set that releases Aug. 24, leaked online this afternoon. And honestly, it's like the good, 'ol days again, when we all pored through pages of Lostpedia and tried to figure out if obscure references made by Benjamin Linus actually contained meaningful anagrams.

The epilogue, in which Mr. Linus plays a prominent role, may not explain everything. But it does cover the following much-debated topics: the island's pregnancy issues, the presence of polar bears, Walt's specialness, the relevance of Room 23 and the Hurley bird.

UPDATED: YouTube's full clip, which we originally posted here, was pulled down. And so was the Jezebel link we provided earlier. So here's an official, partial clip, provided by Disney. You can't see all 12 minutes of the epilogue here but at least the video won't get yanked.

By Jen Chaney  | August 6, 2010; 4:20 PM ET
Categories:  Lost, TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Friday List: Ranking the John Hughes characters
Next: Celebritology Weekend: A restraining order granted for Sandra Bullock and a new baby for Amy Poehler and Will Arnett

Comments

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | August 6, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Jezebel only has 3 minutes up. It does not cover the questions. Very good stuff though!!

Posted by: Guest1234 | August 6, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Even though the pace is relaxed, I could feel the writers trying to cram everything into 12 minutes that they should have covered in the last season. I'm glad someone put it out on the internet because no way am I going to buy a DVD after they disappointed us so badly.

Posted by: efblevins | August 6, 2010 10:54 PM | Report abuse

OK so now Jezebel is down to just a short, Disney approved clip. You're gonna have to give us the info, because I am not going to buy the DVD set just for 12 minutes. Spoilers? Anybody?

Posted by: mjp3md | August 7, 2010 12:21 AM | Report abuse

Just search for Lost+Epilogue on the Internet. Any one location is shut before long, but the genie is clearly out of the bottle.

It was ok. Nice to see Ben again.

However, I've gone so far from apostle of faith to angry Damon-hater that it's not safe to listen to my thoughts on Lost these days.

Sigh.

Posted by: MeriJ | August 7, 2010 1:17 AM | Report abuse

Had a Lost celebrity sighting in DC about 2 weeks ago. Saw the actors who played Miles Straum and Frank Lapidus having lunch together with a group of people. Any ideas why they were in town?

Posted by: Arrrdubb | August 7, 2010 7:03 AM | Report abuse

Here's an idea for the LOST team now working on the 'Star Trek' sequel: when it hits theaters, stop the film at the end of Act 2, then charge everyone another $69.99 to see the ending.

After 6 years, this attempt to rip us off by delivering 'answers' on the DVD they should have delivered in the final season is both pathetic and insulting. Hey, but they'll make a ton more money, so it's all good...

Posted by: frank1569 | August 7, 2010 7:53 AM | Report abuse

I've seen the full 12 minute epilogue or answerlogue. When was it filmed? Seems like a gift-wrapped present for those who were thrown by the "lack of answers." At least, they acknowledge that they goofed by not having Walt in the final church scene...

Posted by: literaryalpha | August 7, 2010 8:10 AM | Report abuse

Eh, I just figured the reason Walt and the other missing members not at the church as still having "unfinished" more important business, although it would be hard to imagine how any other business in their lives could be more "important" than their time on the island.

Miffed by the missing 12 minutes? Well, that's why there's NetFlix. I'm sure the last season will be there within a year.

Posted by: JoStalin | August 7, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Re: Walt and the Church scene:

LA X existed out of time. Even if Walt lived for another thousand years he would have died eventually.

There's not much point in trying to figure out why certain people were or were not in that church scene. The writers had abandoned story-line consistency by that point.

Posted by: MeriJ | August 7, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

After seeing this epilogue, they should have just dumped the whole Sideways thing, concentrated on the Island stuff (and made it better and more thought out) and ended the show with Jack's stagger-through-the-bamboo intercut with this epilogue. THIS feels like Lost. The Prom of the Dead (TM someone else) ending just didn't.

Posted by: hac51 | August 7, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

"With a two hour finale where next to nothing happened I can't figure out why the writers couldn't have included this stuff. After Lost and Battlestar both had terrible endings I'm done with those long drawn out series."

Posted by: PowerBoater69

Clearly, you didn't get the memo. Everything important was tied up. A lot of side things were also cleared up. Only a lot of tangential things were not fully resolved.

It's all there. And wrapped up quite wonderfully.

Posted by: HillRat | August 7, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Saw it and found it to be "cute" but was unimpressed with its "explanations". Though it was funny when one of the Dharma Logistics warehouse guys yelled to Ben as a proxy for all of us, "We deserve answers!" Testify!

We get most of our "answers" via a scratchy, audio-skipping orientation film for the Hydra station. It comes off as a little too pat, but what are we to expect with such a short epilogue.

Thanks for the [feeble] effort Cuse & Lindelof but it doesn't make up for the shafting we all felt for Season 6 and its finale. Namaste.

Posted by: Eludium-Q36 | August 7, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

I saw the whole 11 min 56 sec clip and I have 3 initial impressions:

1) Now, was that really so hard???

2) I wish they had done a full episode or a series of these types of clips, because there still are unanswered questions.

3) Thanks you LindeCuse for trying to wrap this up for the folks who you left out on an island, so to speak.

Posted by: BurgundyNGold | August 7, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

What bothered me about the final season wasn't the lack of answers to island mysteries, though I do understand why that mattered to others.

After working hard for weeks to believe the ending was satisfying, I became angry about the character arcs that were thrown out the window just to set up the church scene. The church scene itself was fine for me. The reveal on LA X was interesting and certainly unexpected.

But throwing away an entire season on LA X just to set up that scene was not fine, because it came at the cost of not pursuing the wonderfully rich stories about each character which had riveted us in prior seasons. Those character arcs held so much promise. Such an huge investment, literally thrown in the trash heap,

Whereas nothing that happened in LA X mattered -- turns out they were just in a dream state. Not even a work-through-things-to-progress purgatory. Just a series of fantasy dreams and nightmares.

In the real world, the character arcs ended abruptly. After all this time, Ben and Widmore ended up being irrelevant?! The real Locke turns out to have been merely a naive fool?! Sawyer ended up being just eye candy. Kate and Juliet became background chicks. Sun and Jin became throwaway lovers. True, Sayid got a redemption arc, but practically as an aside.

I was thinking there would be a Dickens-esque ending, with many of these rich individual storylines coming together, cross-referencing past seasons and blowing my mind. Instead it felt like they had no idea how to end the show and just made something up to get out on time. Or to be able to brag that they used the original ending that JJ and Damon wrote for a much shorter series.

If not for all those smirky interviews that Damon gave, suggesting an awesome planned-it-years-in-advance ending, I might have had lower expectations and been less angry.

I loved those characters. Except for Jack, they were not treated well. They deserved so much better.

But as I said earlier, I'm not safe to talk to on this subject these days.

Where is Fate1? Girl, I owe you an apology. I should have gone shopping at Lowes with you after all.

Posted by: MeriJ | August 7, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Dont yu just love it when stuff gets leaked online like that? Amazing.

Lou
www.web-privacy.at.tc

Posted by: clermontpc | August 8, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

MeriJ!
i can't believe you're singing a different tune!!

yes, after time i do realize and agree that the all of the sideways scenes were somewhat pointless.. like you mention they were really only to set up the church scene, which also as you stated, was fine in and of it self. but i will disagree with you that it was a dream state. sideways (to me), was a purgatory like dimension, as christian said they made to find one another after they passed away... so that they could "move on" together or whatever. walt wasn't there because he (as we now know from the epilogue leak) had some serious work to do, etc...

i still loved the ending. and i didn't LOVE the epilogue, but i sure liked it a lot.

mostly, i miss this site and posting with you guys!!!!

Meri i bed you to put away your pitch fork!! :)

Posted by: Jere1570 | August 9, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

whoops. that sure came out wrong...

i BEG you buddy. not, bed... haha

Posted by: Jere1570 | August 9, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

also, Meri...

i totally agree that a lot of other charecters besides jack just got dumped on the side. i think the problem was just time. sure there's the argue-ers who say they had 3 years to resolve it... but having at times 15+ major charecter arcs to fully satisfy still has to be a difficult task.

i'm sure NOBODY cares, but i'm still wondering how the hell Tom Friendly didn't show up in sideways world. the guy was tied for episode appearances with JOHN LOCKE in S3 for crying out loud!

Posted by: Jere1570 | August 9, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

I am really digging Burn Notice now. Each episode progresses toward solving the season's problem, and each season's problem builds on the previous season's. Stuff leads to other stuff.

Posted by: HardyW | August 9, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Hey Jere1570,

Great typo!

When I say that LA X was a just dream state I of course realize it was also a place to wait for one another. My point is that whatever happened prior to them awakening was not meaningful. It was not like purgatory, where one works through things in order to progress. It seemed like it was just idle dreaming, until they awoke.

But tell me I'm wrong! I want to be wrong.

Posted by: MeriJ | August 11, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse