Posted at 12:40 PM ET, 08/ 4/2010

Now that Carol Burnett will play Sue's mom on 'Glee,' let's decide on that Super Bowl episode

By Jen Chaney

Meet Sue Sylvester's mom. (AP)

Carol Burnett will play Sue Sylvester's mother in an episode of "Glee" this fall, reports Michael Ausiello of Entertainment Weekly. Imagine Burnett tugging on her ear and singing "I'm So Glad We Had This Time Together" while wearing a track suit. The mind reels with the possibility.

It's yet another smart bit of high-caliber star casting for the Fox musical, and one that was hinted at a few weeks ago at Comic-Con. During a press conference prior to the "Glee" panel, a reporter asked each of the cast and crew members present who they would like to see make a guest appearance. Someone -- I believe it was creator/executive producer Ryan Murphy -- definitely mentioned Burnett. Those "Glee" people are so clever at making their ideas seem completely spontaneous.

At Comic-Con and during the TCA press tour, Murphy and co. also noted that the big post-Super Bowl episode of "Glee" will feature a tribute to a major pop artist, but they did not say who because negotiations are ongoing. Now that we know the Burnett news is a done deal, I say it's time to speculate as to who that pop artist might be, at least in our fantasies. Some names we can rule out: Britney Spears, since a Britney episode has already been confirmed for another episode next season; Madonna (even though they plan to do another tribute, presumably it won't be for the Super Bowl); Paul McCartney, who already will have his music featured in another episode next season; and Lady Gaga (also been done). So who could it be? Let's take some guesses.

Beyonce: As the "Single Ladies" homages have proven, "Glee" loves Sasha Fierce. And she certainly qualifies as a major pop star. Also worth noting: while Ms. Knowles has performed the national anthem at a Super Bowl, she has yet to headline a halftime show. And I have to think that whoever winds up singing during the big game break may be the same person who gets top-tribute billing on "Glee."

Janet Jackson: Remember what I just said about the person who sings at halftime definitely being the subject of the "Glee" tribute show? Here's one scenario where that wouldn't be the case. But Jackson would make a pretty delicious choice, given her breast-baring role in the most controversial Super Bowl performance of all time, not to mention her status as pop royalty. In its own, show-tuney way, "Glee" is a show that relishes the opportunity to stick its out-and-proud thumb in the eye of authority. And what better way to do that than by putting Miss Jackson front and center? Added bonus: the entire cast could dress in military-style garb and do a "Rhythm Nation." Even better: Kurt could do a cover of "Nasty."

Prince: The idea of a Prince episode has been floated and approved in the "Gleek"-osphere. There's no question the guy certainly has an amazing catalogue of music to choose from, one that, in my humble opinion, might make "The Power of Madonna" seem slightly less powerful by comparison. But it's unclear whether he's want to do something like this. And the fact that he did the Super Bowl halftime show a few years ago makes this seem less likely.

Jennifer Lopez: If J. Lo is confirmed as an "American Idol" judge, consider this possibility all the more likely. The Super Bowl episode will air Feb. 6, 2011, most likely a few weeks after "Idol's" new season begins. Putting her on "Glee" is a cross-marketing opportunity Fox -- not to mention Lopez -- probably would not want to pass up.

Mariah Carey: The best thing about a Carey tribute is the potential for a hit-the-high-note contest between Lea Michele, Chris Colfer, frequent guest star Kristen Chenoweth, and Carey. Some people will be putting money on the big game that Sunday; if this circumstance comes to pass, the "Gleeks" would all be betting on which of these vocalists is most likely to break glass.

Out of these possibilities, which one sounds most appealing? Vote below, and feel free to make other "Glee" pop-tribute suggestions in the comments.

By Jen Chaney  | August 4, 2010; 12:40 PM ET
Categories:  Pop Culture, TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sandra Bullock highest paid Hollywood actress; Wyclef Jean will run for president of Haiti
Next: A very special gift for President Obama's birthday

Comments

Do we know who's performing at the Super Bowl (Anthem or halftime)? That would be a logical person to tie into...

Posted by: northgs | August 4, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Cool. Carol Burnett as a Nazi Hunter. I am so looking forward to this episode.

Posted by: epjd | August 4, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Courtney Love

She can get the kids whacked out on heroin and it can all end in a glee-club bloodbath.

Make it an R rated movie and I'd even pay to see it.

Posted by: quintiliusvarus | August 4, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Whitney Houston

Posted by: reddragon1 | August 4, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Since "none of the above" wasn't a choice, I guess I'll go with his teeny royal-ness, Prince.

Posted by: wadejg | August 4, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

So even tho I suggested Whitney Houston, I voted for JLo, because they'll have at least one dance segment where she is facing away from the camera.

Posted by: reddragon1 | August 4, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Dolly Parton. Pandemonium would reign at McKinley High, especially among the football team, as well as among all the dads (except Rachel's, unless they're drag queens, of course)!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | August 4, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Quin-Oh, that's a great idea. How about we double down and have Kurt on the same episode. I know it'll take a little digging, but...

Posted by: karmadrome | August 4, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

You know what might be nice is a Kanye themed episode in which Puck protests that Rachel shouldn't win the lead because Quinn is.... you see where I am going on this.

Now I apologize in advance if a Kanye show has already been done, I am watching over the summer for the first time..

Alternatively, an Eminem tribute?

Posted by: LTL1 | August 4, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Mariah's leading this poll?

This is all farked up.

Posted by: bs2004 | August 4, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

I refuse to watch Glee until they have a proper Men At Work episode.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | August 4, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I'll give you Men at Work dorkus - so long as the theme is Battle Royale

Posted by: quintiliusvarus | August 4, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

I hope we get to see Carol Burnett's character interact with her other daughter, Jean Sylvester.

Posted by: pfallsgirl | August 4, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

I think it will be a tribute to Michael Jackson, and they are trying to get the rights to do it.

Posted by: cjbriggs | August 4, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

We need a Village People episode, followed by Bobby Goldsboro. Honey I miss you.

Posted by: markiejoe | August 4, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Does she look like a living clown or what?

Posted by: lhao333 | August 4, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

I personally find it insulting that they haven't already done a Mariah Carey episode already. Mariah clearly has an expansive collection of work, so there would be plenty of material to choose from.

I would love to watch a vocal fight with Mercedes, Rachael, and Kurt singing Carey's songs. I can imagine they singing "Always Be My Baby" with chorus, or Emotions, Make it happen, Butterfly... so many songs!

Posted by: leoinavalon | August 5, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

A Mariah Episode would be Golden!! ~ A Show about singing; They most defiantly need to include an Episode about the woman with 18 #1 Singles, The most #1's beat only by The Beatles with 21 #1s!!
Prince, Janet Jackson & Mariah are all Legendary and would be amazing Episodes, But I defiantly think they need start with Mariah, and a Insane singing competition between Kurt, Mercedes, & guest staring Kristin Chenoweth as April would be So much fun!
Mariah Carey, Michael Jackson, and Elvis are all obvious must do episodes ~

Posted by: LamboMan | August 5, 2010 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Mariah Carey is the obvious choice. Mercedes and Lea would actually be able to pay tribute (minus the high notes). Mercedes would do really well at Vision of Love and Shake It Off (or Obsessed), while I could see Lea doing Fantasy/Heartbreaker/Dreamlover. I could also see an Always Be My Baby duet with Cory and Lea. JUST NO HERO, PLEASE!

Posted by: zumieb | August 10, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse