Posted at 2:29 PM ET, 08/20/2010

Should Josh Holloway star in a 'Rockford' remake?

By Jen Chaney

The many faces of Sawyer ... and perhaps Jim Rockford. (Photo courtesy Get Lost podcast)

Remember when Sawyer was a police detective in the "Lost" sideways-flashes? Great. Now how would you feel about watching Josh Holloway in a private investigator role every week?

Michael Ausiello of Entertainment Weekly is reporting that Holloway's name has come up in conversation as a viable candidate for the job of Jim Rockford in an NBC redo of "The Rockford Files." (For those who don't recall, it was a much-loved detective show in the '70s starring James Garner.)

Ausiello's source emphasizes that there are no serious talks underway, but perhaps if enough fan squee-ing ensues, conversations could intensify. A "Rockford Files" remake was in the works previously at NBC, but was abandoned after the pilot -- which featured Dermot Mulroney in the lead role -- was deemed too listless.

Would "Rockford" be more enticing with Holloway in the title role? (Yes.) Would we watch it? (Yes!) Would we probably blog about the show in Celebritology? (I can't speak for Liz since she's on maternity leave, but ... oh, what the heck ... YES!)

With Daniel Dae-Kim on "Hawaii Five-O" and now this news, it appears that sending the Losties back to the '70s during season five was a bit of real-life foreshadowing. Someone, please, pair video footage of Sawyer with the "Rockford Files" theme and put it on YouTube, stat!

Update: A reader points out that a "Rockford Files"/Josh Holloway/Ken Leung mash-up already exists on YouTube. And here it is:

Source: Entertainment Weekly's Ausiello Files

By Jen Chaney  | August 20, 2010; 2:29 PM ET
Categories:  Lost, Pop Culture, TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Friday list: Sexy celebrity magazine covers
Next: Celebritology Weekend: Madonna sued over clothing line; alleged salon scammer pleads innocence

Comments

I'd watch Josh Holloway in ANYTHING!
But do we really need a remake of yet another '70s tv show (i.e. Hawaii 5-0)???
Hey tv execs and movie producers, how about coming up with more original stuff!!

Posted by: Washington Post Editors | August 20, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

YES YES YES YES!!!! I would totally watch that. Josh Holloway would make a much better Jim Rockford than dour old Dermot Mulroney. There's no twinkle in Dermot's eye! No humor! He's hot and all, but could he make us laugh?

Posted by: blahblah6b | August 20, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

That would be really swell. Of course, Evangeline L. would have to guest star.

Posted by: MeriJ | August 20, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

YES!!!! Yes yes!

Posted by: Guest1234 | August 20, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

No! No!! No!!!
Nothing personal, nobody could replace James Garner as Rockford! Come up with new stuff. I am happy with re-runs. Leave my generation be, PLEASE !!

Posted by: jang1 | August 20, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

The Rockford Files was created for James Garner. A remake can never be as good, whoever stars in it. Find another show for Holloway. In fact, why not create a show specifically for him? And the Hawaii Five-O remake is going to suck, both critically and in the ratings, particularly against Castle.

Posted by: hlabadie | August 20, 2010 6:24 PM | Report abuse

I knew that series was doomed when they named Dermot Mulroney the lead. Listless, indeed. Still, it's equally difficult to imagine scenery-chewer Holloway taking over for the marvelously affable and laid-back James Garner. I think they should just permanently retire the series.

Posted by: chantooz | August 20, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

you know what, if Josh Holloway wants to make a remake of the Galloping Gourmet, Sweating to the Oldies, or any other 'back in the day' show, let him. i'll start out watching just because it's him, and if it's good, well, he had me at 'hello'!

Posted by: eph_413planb | August 20, 2010 11:29 PM | Report abuse

A remake of the Rockford Files... I better get in gear and buy a 50 inch HDTV.

Posted by: whocares666 | August 21, 2010 12:37 AM | Report abuse

"Now what recycled '70s vehicle could we use to team up Michael Emerson and Terry O'Quinn?"

Starsky and Hutch?

Posted by: KevFromArlington | August 21, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

I agree--leave the 70s alone.

Josh Holloway should be playing a starring role in a few of my rooms. Let's start with the kitchen--I have just the apron.

Posted by: chunche | August 21, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I'd love to see him cast as a PI or maybe in a show like White Collar or Leverage.
I think he'd be better advised to stay away from any type of remake and hold out for an original series. Hopefully something a little lighter (than Lost), that'll make use of his sense of humor.

Posted by: moxieinmn | August 21, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

I don't want Josh Holloway in a Rockford remake. I want Josh Holloway and Ken Leung to star in a buddy-cop dramedy called "Ford & Straume."

Posted by: pfallsgirl | August 22, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

I have mixed feelings about another 70s tv remake but that kind of character would be a good fit for Holloway: the con man comes back and uses his con-man smarts on behalf of his clients. We know Sawyer wasn't above doing the right thing if you could successfully appeal to his conscience.

Posted by: LittleRed1 | August 23, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

I grew up watching the original Rockford Files and would LOVE to see Josh Holloway take it on ... he's the perfect blend of the masculinity and charm that made James Garner so good in the role years ago. He's got the charisma, the grit, and the personality to really make it a multi-dimensional character, and I'd watch it in a heartbeat ... seeing new rumor reports on this daily, sure hope rumor becomes reality!

Posted by: eph_413planb | August 28, 2010 12:17 AM | Report abuse