Posted at 9:45 AM ET, 08/12/2010

Teri Hatcher: Real and spectacular?

By Jen Chaney

Teri Hatcher, on Facebook and fresh from the bath. (Teri Hatcher/Facebook)

Teri Hatcher wanted to make a point about beauty. So she did what most people do: posted pictures of herself on Facebook, without make-up, after just emerging from a bath.

In a photo album entitled "Oy With the Botox!!!" -- a series of images that has made the rounds on numerous media Web sites -- Hatcher admits she has toyed with Botox or fillers in the past, but doesn't anymore. How do we know? Because she can raise her eyebrows in a way that creates genuine wrinkles across her forehead.

"I am alone in my bathroom naked in a towel on behalf of women everywhere trying to make a point," she writes in one of the captions. "Women YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL."

She also notes that the reason so many celebrities look amazing in photos is because of lighting. Which isn't a news flash, but it's always good to be reminded that that's at least *part* of the reason some of us don't resemble Angelina Jolie.

What do you make of Hatcher's revealing photo essay? (I have to give her props for bravery. There's no way I'd share post-shower photos of myself on Facebook -- and I say that as someone who knows there's no chance images of me will wind up on E! Online.)

Weigh in on this politically charged issue by casting a vote in our highly scientific poll:

By Jen Chaney  | August 12, 2010; 9:45 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Paris Hilton sued over hair extensions; Kelsey Grammer's new girlfriend pregnant?
Next: Talking 'Lost' with Michael Emerson -- Emmys, epilogue, finale and more

Comments

KILL IT! KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | August 12, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

I have to say, good for her. She knows she is in the public eye, and so people are more likely to read what she says than, say, what I say. Not all news and postings have to be about war, crime, and famine. A nice posting to just say, "hey women, we're all beautiful" is something cheery and happy to start your day with. I feel prettier.

Posted by: CaitlinEmmy | August 12, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

What Dorkus said. Besides, to me she'll always be Dr. Monica Delmonico.

As for the topic at hand, didn't Oil of Olay's "Real Beauty" campaign already cover this? I mean, it does take some courage for her to do this, granted, but she's currently employed and making crocks of cash so there's less of a career risk. Good to know she won't be mistaken for Joan Rivers anytime soon, though.

Doing this on Facebook just means more clutter in the scads of pages I'm begged to "Like" and refuse to. Trust me, tomorrow there'll be some "Petition to have Rodney Allan Rippie Host SNL" or remind me that "♥♥ Men Have Feelings Too ♥♥" or other such drivel, at which time Hatcher's own Facebook proclamation will fade like the Botox she now eschews.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | August 12, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

I've seen Angelina Jolie in person. It's not the lighting.

Posted by: yellojkt | August 12, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I think it's brave for a woman of "that age".

Posted by: Guest1234 | August 12, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

It's lighting, makeup, makeup artists, stylists, angles, posing ...

Posted by: Californian11 | August 12, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Obviously Lois Lane does not have a secret identity. Or many other secrets.

Posted by: reddragon1 | August 12, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse