Posted at 5:05 PM ET, 08/17/2010

'True Blood' stars get naked for Rolling Stone

By Jen Chaney

"True Blood." Also, nudity. (Rolling Stone)

Ah, nudity on a magazine cover. Does anything grab our attention more effectively in the grocery stone line? Well, yes -- that would be nudity and spattered blood on a magazine cover.

Enter Rolling Stone, which has placed a plasma-covered Alexander Skarsgard, Anna Paquin and Stephen Moyer from "True Blood" on its Sept. 2 issue, on newstands Wednesday. (Could that purposely be timed to distract America from its obvious obsession with "Vampires Suck," which releases in theaters tomorrow? No? Not so much?)

As the folks at Rolling Stone themselves point out, nudity or semi-nudity is a frequent fixture on entertainment magazines. Most of us can probably immediately recall the fleshy covers -- a pregnant Demi Moore on Vanity Fair, a topless Janet Jackson (foreshadowing, anyone?) on Rolling Stone, the bare and pseudo-tattooed Dixie Chicks on Entertainment Weekly -- that succeeded in generating some buzz. But they don't necessarily translate into major newstand sales.

"True Blood" fans, does the sight of the image above make you want to race out and get that copy of Rolling Stone? Or would you feel the same way even if the vampire trio were, say, clothed and bloody? And, in a semi-related question, how annoyed will "Twilight" fans be when they read "Blood" creator Alan Ball's comments in the RS story, in which he says, "I don't get a vampire story about abstinence. I'm 53. I don't care about high school students. I find them irritating and uninformed."

By Jen Chaney  | August 17, 2010; 5:05 PM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Movies
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 'Piranha 3D' makes a bid for Best Picture
Next: Dr. Laura to end her radio show

Comments

i am planning to go out and buy every issue i can find!

true blood is the best thing on TV-ever!

Posted by: libs4palin1 | August 17, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

OK! That was a hot cover shoot! Anna Paquin made what I think was a professionally wise choice to do regular nude scenes, with real life lover Moyer AND a couple "dream sequence ones" with Skarsgard. It really goes with the theme of the vampire show - sex and violence even the chick audience eats up!

Here's to more nudity! My choices would be more Rutina Wesley (Sookies BFF) and Bill's voluptuous mixed up teen Vampire Jessica.

Posted by: ChrisFord1 | August 17, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

I think it's a pretty arresting cover shot that definitely grabs the attention of the viewer. And let's face it, those folks are gorgeous.

Rolling Stone may fall back on nudity too often as a crutch - but at least their covers have verve and life to them, unlike the stilted snoozefests Vanity Fair has been pumping out over the past 5 yrs courtesy of Annie Leibowitz. (All her celeb portraits look like hyper-photoshopped wax figures.)

Posted by: flippityflop1 | August 17, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

I would not normally buy Rolling Stone but I will buy it tomorrow just for the cover. It is a very eye catching image for sure!

True Blood is not made for teenagers so I guess I don't really care what Twilight fans think of Alan Ball's comments and I don't think he would either. Twilight and Dead Until Dark are two totally separate books and though they share fans they were written for totally different audiences.

Posted by: beccilynn27 | August 17, 2010 7:05 PM | Report abuse

In some countries, nudity in magazines and on REGULAR tv is nothing new or special. http://bit.ly/aJocm2 The human body is something that everyone has, and the U.S. is the main country that has hangups about showing it. But then again, the U.S. has hangups about darn near everything. Land of the free and home of the brave? NEITHER of those apply anymore.

Posted by: Desolate1 | August 17, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Never seen the show (or anything else on TV since 9/11/) but I must say the photo makes me long for the glory days of Annie Leibowitz RS covers. Of course, I haven't read RS since the 70's or listened to any new music since then either. I may be a curmudgeon, but can't anyone do anything original these days?

Posted by: kabuki3 | August 18, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

I don't think there's anything to be upset about in a 53-year-old man finding teenagers to be annoying and uninformed. He probably wants them to get off his lawn, too.

As for the cover, I'm a big True Blood fan, but nothing would convince me to put down money for Rolling Stone these days. Besides... naked and blood-spattered I"m down with (or I wouldn't watch said show) but they just all look so *awkward*.

Posted by: MaxineofArc | August 18, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I am fine with Alexander Skarsgard being naked anytime, anywhere.

The other two – meh - not so much.

Posted by: pfallsgirl | August 18, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse