Posted at 2:50 PM ET, 08/ 3/2010

Was Adam Lambert snubbed by the MTV Video Music Award nominations?

By Jen Chaney

The nominees for this year's MTV Video Music Awards were announced earlier today and featured a record-setting number of nominations for Lady Gaga (13), as well as nods for Eminem (eight), Florence + The Machine (five) and Justin Bieber (one ... wait, one? That kid's getting his own 3D biopic and he gets just one measly nomination?).

Here's who didn't get nominated: Adam Lambert. Members of the former "American Idol" contender's Glam Nation are ticked off that he didn't get recognized in at least one category for videos like "If I Had You," in which he sports a mullet ponytail while rocking out on what appears to be the set for the "Twilight" movies, accompanied by cast members from "Moulin Rouge" and "Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome." (I mean that as a compliment, by the way):

Of course, Lambert fans aren't the only ones irked by the VMA nominations. Lovers of Rihanna (who received just one nomination), the Black Eyed Peas and Britney Spears are all voicing their objections in blog comments and on Twitter, where the hash tag #MTVFAIL is becoming more popular by the second.

Did MTV really mess up with this year's nominations? Does it even matter? And most importantly, when will Kanye West Tweet about this pressing issue? (Could be a while. Dude's on his way to Asia.)

Honestly, the VMAs are so ridiculous that it seems like a waste of energy to even bother getting upset by them. That being said, I have just one question: How on God's green Earth did "My First Kiss" get nominated for anything? It looks like it was made in 1983. And no, I don't mean that as a compliment:

By Jen Chaney  | August 3, 2010; 2:50 PM ET
Categories:  Music, Pop Culture
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: From Martin Scorsese to Helena Bonham Carter, the most surprising entries on Vanity Fair's 2010 International Best Dressed List
Next: Bristol Palin and Levi Johnston break up

Comments

Yes, MTV most definitely Failed, but as always, Adam is an exceptionally class act and just tweeted his congrats to his good friend Kesha. If he'd been on, I'd have watched. Now? Meh.

Posted by: cos2mwiz | August 3, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

I'm fine with Adam not getting nominated though I won't watch VMA without Adam on it. He's new and left centered.It takes time to break barrier.
Dead on Ke$ha's nomination. My 11-year old son told me he couldn't stand "My First Kiss".

Posted by: 19992001 | August 3, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Apparently only those who an't sing without auto tune are considered award worthy by MTV. MTV has lost all credibility. Huge fail.

Posted by: vcarter03 | August 3, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Jen: You're a brave journalist & I commend you for writing this article. Personally, none of these award shows has any legitimacy as most pop music tda isn't worth listening to on radio. But Adam Lambert has more talent than all the nominees put together. I know I've seen him live & he's best male vocalist/entertainer in decades. To see these acts that got all these nominations it's just disappointing to say the least. Keep writing articles like this please maybe ppl will rally in support. Thanks a big fan of the WP.

Posted by: Kelsiegirl10 | August 3, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

I don't think this is a big snub. The bummer is that now we're going to have to hear the usual comments from Lambert's fans (like the above) that all the nominated artists suck, can't sing, etc.

Posted by: calgrl75 | August 3, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

I'm disappointed for Adam, he deserves recognition for his extraordinary talent, and the vision and creativity he brings to his visual performances, both live on tour, and in his videos. His time will come, probably when he achieves so much recognition elsewhere that this industry cannot continue to ignore him. Meanwhile, his fans appreciate and acknowledge his talent, and rejoice that such a wonderful artist and person has graced our world.

Posted by: CheyenneW | August 3, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

This makes me even angrier that Gaga won the freaking GLAAD award just for being a huge fruit fly (as Adam calls 'em) and now, though Adam has more talent in his little pinky than ANY of the nominees, IMO, and doesn't need to get naked to impress (though I'm quite sure that would be impressive, indeed!) he is shut OUT! WHAT? How can this happen when he is a major worldwide star, rising meteorically around the globe? Selling out venues and adding new ones! Once more American TV gets it wrong! Thanks to the VMAs, the rest of the world must either scratch their heads or simply laugh at the absurdity of it all!
Grrr, I'm so angry I could spit! You can bet your last dollar that I won't be watching! And yes, Adam DID tweet a congrats to Ke$ha! What a warm, grounded, sweet and humble individual. All of this political back biting in the music industry will eventually separate the wheat from the chaff and Adam will rise to the top, not because of the lack of the music industry support, but in SPITE of it! Until Adam gets his due recognition on awards shows, I am done, stick a fork in me!
This isn't a case of sour grapes either...it's a matter of fairness and what's right and wrong.

Posted by: queenrosered | August 3, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

I don't know much about Adam Lambert. Everything I've read and seen lead me to believe he's pretty awesome. His fans are a little out of control, but whatever.

Anyway. I just watched the video you posted. What in the world is going on at 1:52? Did someone just break into another dimension and the luck dragon flew through? What the...?

Posted by: Roxie1 | August 3, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

You are absolutely right. Adam Lambert fans are pretty ticked off. Let MTV praise the auto-tune idiots. They are completely irrelevant.

Posted by: jolinegkg | August 3, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

If Gaga really wanted to support gays, she might give her spotlight up for a moment to protest this outrage. How could anyone compare the "If I Had You" video to the "First Kiss" one? One is art and the other, well, ridiculous. Not sure what MTV had to gain with their nominations, but I am sure money, favors, and control had a lot to do with it. #MTVFail

Posted by: walton3 | August 3, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

calgrl75? You are either obviously NOT a fan of Lambert, and/or have never really had a good listen. What he does on tour, night after night, city after city, defies not only human endurance but even stuns vocal coaches and industry experts.
He doesn't just pull up a stool and sing, while wearing jeans and flannel. He actually entertains and does so without the need for auto-tune or vocal enhancements.While that may not mean anything to YOU....true vocal and rock aficionados are truly stunned and amazed, night after night, performance after performance. What he does, no other male artist is capable of and very few female ones as well. And he does it without getting naked to boot! So I suggest that before you go slamming his considerable army of supporters, just listen to some Youtube performances from his Glam Nation Tour and ask yourself if YOUR favorite artist could pull that off?
But then, I suppose that would be like asking for the impossible....fairness and objectivity.Enjoy the watered down, vocally enhanced award show.I'm sure it's exactly what you deserve.Pass the white bread and mayo.Sheesh.

Posted by: queenrosered | August 3, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

This will only help flame his icon status, lol.

Posted by: karen57 | August 3, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Adam Lambert was most certainly snubbed by the MTV VMA nominations! Not only is he an amazing singer, he is an amazing artist! His concerts are spectacular from the dancing, to the lighting, to the visuals, to the singing! He knows how to put on a fantastic show that appeals to loads of people...There is no denying that the boy can sing anything! He is an awesome performer and it's hard to believe that he is as humble as he is. He so deserved to be nominated..he's taking the world by storm with his talent! Where is the justice in not being part of the VMAs?

Posted by: bosoxfanjackie | August 3, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

I'm a fan of Adam Lambert, but his videos haven't been anything to write home about. However, I also didn't think MTV gave much of a hoot about actual videos and hasn't for some time, so the VMAs are more of a publicity game than anything else. Maybe Adam's people didn't schmooze the right MTV execs, who knows?

Posted by: MaxineofArc | August 3, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

I am so disappointed that Adam Lambert did not receive a nomination. I do usually watch the VMA's I will definitely not watch this time. Snubbing Adam Lambert and Christina Aguilera tells you that the award show is not about talent.

Posted by: deritopaul | August 3, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

It's politics. Also if it's a popularity contest of videos, Katy's has 30 million views, Eminem (scum) has about 64 million and Gaga double both of them. Adam has about 3 mil views per video. So in that respect, ok. Meanwhile, he's the only one without insider connections who actually had his REAL friends and colleagues from Zodiac etc in their REAL gear as cast members and represented his REAL self,as we see from his photos from years ago at Burning Man and The Zodiac Show. Oh. And using his REAL VOICE. Adam Lambert will be iconic without any dumb "awards" anyway. He already is. He did more for LGBT in 5 minutes than any one else in entertainment history. Being himself. Unlike Gaga, who made a 2 minute speech one time lol.

Posted by: allyriane | August 3, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Adam lambert has been snubbed almost in every genere here in the wonderful USA! Pretty much pathetic if you ask me!. Keisha (WHAT) is one of the WORST singers (if you can call her that) on the radio today (BLA BLA BLA). I don't know what's going on and yes I am a huge glambert fan and proud of it that I have the natural common sense to reconize a mega-talented singer when i SEE ONE! MTV music awards and all the radio stations that boycott this once in life-time super-star will all look back and say what were we thinking! get over your homophophia AMERICA!

Posted by: mytivobrownie | August 3, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the well thought out article W.P. One thing for sure calgrl75 is that the Glamberts are going to be carrying on for awhile over this . You can avoid it quite easily by not circling above the articles and reading them. That headline wasn't in any way misleading was it?

Posted by: misskittymac | August 3, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

WHAT???? I don't quite know what to make of Adam Lambert being snubbed. Luckily, Adam gets a lot of love right now while he is selling out his Glamnation Tour across the Nation. He will rise to superstardom despite all the closed-minded, brainwashed "experts" in the music industry because his talent will prevail. More and more people of all ages and genders are starting to realize that this guy can actually sing for a change besides being an exciting entertainer.

Posted by: gabikoehler | August 3, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

More then 10.000 tweets from people who dont understand why Christina Aguilera didnt get nominated.

Posted by: leon64 | August 3, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Ill be attending his concert in Lubbock texas tomarrow...front and center and ready to show him love and appreciation!! he deserves the best...vma's or not...I think he is amazing...I dont even go to concerts..im 42!! but ive never been this excited to see someone perform!! his fans adore him and thats all that matters...even to him!! :)

Posted by: hairtrix23 | August 3, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

I am an Adam Lambert fan and I say congratulations to everybody who got nominated. I am sure Adam is happy for everybody. His day will come. If you have a chance to see him live it is well worth it. You won't regret it. As Adam would say "It ain't that deep".

Posted by: scorpiogirl1 | August 3, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

I have come to the conclusion that all souls are drawn to like-energy. I am happy to be in the Adam Lambert family, however not all who witness him will relate. I do not relate to Carrie Underwood, although I have a sister who has seen her many times over....and that is fine. MTV has to please a big fan base of whatever that fan base is drawn to----hence, I do not watch MTV, they do not play the things that I am drawn to, so I do not care. If there was a 24-hour Adam Lambert channel, which featured his videos, interviews, concerts, well, I would be a fan. So, MTV, I will not be watching, but it is my choice. If someone starts a channel with rabid-fans favorites, that could be a big hit.....

Posted by: clstreet10 | August 3, 2010 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Video Music Awards, isn't that what VMA stands for? That should indicate we are evaluating Videos of artists. All three of Adam Lambert's videos are some of the most creative and interesting videos I have seen. To not have at least one of them nominated is ridiculous. I agree that Lady Gaga should win hands down though, because her videos are extraordinary. But Usher's OMG?!?!-boring video/dumb song. And Who the Ef is Florence and the Machine? Actually I have seen that stupid video too. Even though I agree Ke$ha may not be the most gifted singer, her videos are very entertaining so it does seem appropriate to recognize her. But Adam was robbed!!!!!

Posted by: ohbabs | August 3, 2010 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ohbabs | August 3, 2010 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Wow - they nominated that garbage vid "My First Kiss?" Who can take these people seriously? MTV has just made itself look ridiculous. Does anyone actually look at this stuff anymore? And DeRulo? Nice guy - but sorta boring. MTV's boring, too.

Posted by: rraustin1 | August 3, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

I agree w/ Cheyenne W. Adam's time will come. Posterity is often slow in catching on. He is a class act and possessed of a phenomenal vocal talent. Listen to him sing "Soaked" just once - especially any of his live versions of it - and see if it doesn't send shivers up and down your spine.

Posted by: amr82261 | August 3, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

I would not say that Adam Lambert's fans are "ticked off" just confused. Adam's WWFM video has more (many, many) more views on the VH1/MTV websites then that of some of the videos nominated. It held top placement on the Top 20 countdown list for 18 weeks and the Number 1 spot longer than any of the videos that were nominated and I am sure sales of Adam's Video were impressive compared to some of the nominees. Some of the nominated videos were NEVER in the #1 spot on the countdown.
So it’s just confusing how they were selected. Why does VH1/MTV even keep video viewing statistics and have weekly popularity votes if they are not even going to consider the information that is obtained?

Posted by: TXsunshine1 | August 3, 2010 8:09 PM | Report abuse

I am a huge Adam Lambert fan, and I am not at all angry about this snub. I'm just not interested in wasting my time on the lackluster VMAs. Their loss - Adam, and his huge following will be just fine. We'll be wherever he is.

Posted by: angelraj | August 3, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand what is going on. Adam's videos have been #1 on VH1 for weeks at a time this year. What is the criteria for the nominations? It seems you must be in the right group to be nominated - regardless of talent. Not saying some of the nominees aren't worthy, just wondering why Adam didn't even get one nomination.

Posted by: afan4 | August 4, 2010 1:06 AM | Report abuse

im not a fan of adam lambert, but hes way better than beiber & ke$ha combinded. black eyed peas deserve something and so does christina aguilera. video phone does not deserve equal nominations as telephone and gaga doesnt deserve 13 noms

Posted by: LTM41 | August 4, 2010 1:35 AM | Report abuse

MTV SUCKS !
it was bought out by Extremist Baptist Church (cult)
NEVER WATCH MTV again ! It's NO LONGER MTV that we used to watch! MTV Failure!!

Posted by: julia7 | August 4, 2010 2:52 AM | Report abuse

I have been to about 75 concerts over the years. I went with a group of friends to see Adam Lambert. They are what I call die hard fans. Well, I have to say all those Adam fans know exactly what they are talking about, the guy was amazing. I have never heard live singing so fantastic as what he belted out. Wow, I am impressed, needless to say I am now a fan. In my opinion he should never have been snubbed, he is far more talented than ANY of those artists nominated, I have seen them all other than Justin Bieber. I think all the Adam fans will agree though that he doesn't need the nomination,they all know how truly amazing he is.

Posted by: smaz13 | August 4, 2010 8:00 AM | Report abuse

Are there only about 5-10 bands/"singers" in the whole world?? That's what it seems like when the same 4-5 "artists" keep getting nominated. Do these music award shows only pick from what is incessantly played on the radio? There are so many bands, singer/songwriters out there that deserve these music awards much more than the celebrity artists.

Posted by: Fracas1 | August 4, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MaxineofArc | August 3, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

********************************************

Exactly.

For those that weren't around when the VMA started, it's never been about the best video, if it had then Tool would've won a few back in the day.

Like Maxine said, MTV doesn't care about videos anymore. The only time they run them anymore is at 4AM. They're more worried about that past-it's-prime Real World, Jersey Shore & those other "reality" shows they have that are cheap to produce, pretty much anything BUT videos.

I'm not even sure why they still have these awards.

Posted by: wadejg | August 4, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I appreciate the talent of some of the other artists, but I feel Adam was snubbed. Not sure what criteria they use to choose but Adam has been # 1 on VH1 Top 20 more then any other artist this year and in the top 10 more then most. That has to count for something, or at least it should. MTV is no longer in the video business and shouldn't even be having this show anymore. Adam is an amazing talent and anyone questioning it should listen to his song from Brigadoon. Amazing!!!

Posted by: bandcd | August 4, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

MTV Video Music Awards 2010 and Adam Lambert isn't nominated??? I'm very unhappy about this decision!

Posted by: hauserc | August 5, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Adam just needs to sing a duet with the right person, thats all!

Posted by: misskittymac | August 5, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Thousands of artists were snubbed, Usher Drake Pink Rihanna Miley Carrie Sade Kings Of Leon Aguilera Owl - it is not a snub not being of the 10 nominated. At least they watch the videos, some bloggers wtite about concerts they never actually attended, huh ? Adam is fantastic, no worries !

Posted by: ianaleah1 | August 5, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Personally, I'm more irked by OK Go getting shut out. Apparently no one at Mtv has actually seen the videos for WTF?, This Too Shall Pass, and End Love.

Posted by: jmw1122 | August 6, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

This is very perplexing..Why isn't MTV playing ADAMS Videos at all..when he is # 1 on VH1 over and over again...also Adam is not being played on the radio much...But he is HEADLINING A SELLOUT TOUR worldwide...with a fanbase as loyal as M.Js or Elvis...AND ONLY 8 MONTHS OUT WITH HIS CD....it is all Ludicrous!! Fact is ADAM LAMBERT IS hands down the most exciting, talented and electrifying singer and artist to hit the planet..ever...Qweenrosered said it..Adam stuns industry greats with his SUPERHUMAN VOICE, SHOWMANSHIP, and he has UNCOMPARABLE SEX APPEAL!! NOT ONE SINGER CAN GO TOE TO TOE WITH ADAM AND SING..HE WILL MAKE A FOOL OUT OF THEM~~ Seeing him Live will leave you Awestruck and stunned by what you are hearing..WITHOUT BACKUP OR AUTOTUNE...his voice is indescribably phenomenal~~but he also gives his whole soul to ou on stage until he is drentched in sweat from head to toe~~giving all his love to his fans..The love exchange is Electrifying..MTV...YOUR LOSE FOOL!!!

Posted by: Tahaa | August 7, 2010 3:15 AM | Report abuse

Adam is doing great in the music industry and he seems genuinly happy with his success. He's also appears to be very grounded and is happy for others around him when they find success. Haven't we all learned that about Adam since day one when Chris won Idol? No big deal about MTV folks! Really, no biggie.

Posted by: mankowsky | August 7, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Let's all not be too surprised...MTV abides by a very narrow and limited agenda based on greed. Their only real interest is too push t&a, regurgitated spewings of how much k-ching, bling, and eat my thing juvenility one particularly overblown genre thrives on exploiting, and of course this all ties into MTV's deeply seeded loathing and hatred of any truly gifted artists whose talents exceed the mainstream criteria of acceptability...Especially when the artist makes no apologies for being gay, much less expressing it with such amazing audacity and brilliance that they would have to acknowledge it or validate it as something truly original.

Posted by: jal-big | August 7, 2010 10:58 PM | Report abuse

I will be 60 in a couple of months I'm truly upset with vh1 /mtv/ this is purely a snunned, how can you not hear or see this wonderful talent, the only reason that makes any sense for him not be nominated is that you are afraid of the unknow he is different an threating to you and of course you being a true men you most set and example of righteousness Adam Lambert was denied AI because of action such as the one you have choosen When you become older it very hard to be fool and not see throught hate and greed .I have two son two grand children but if one would announce tomorrow that he or she was gay I wouldn't want them to suffer the hate that this country has to offer never before watch VH1-MTV because Im and opera lover and I know when I see and hear talent and this incredible artist Adam Lamber has IT VH1_MTV you've lost all creditability with your unfair nominations

Posted by: fusco | August 7, 2010 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Let me put it another way.
Adam's just too good and too gay for MTV.
Their homophobic inclination is to try to set-up some kind of grossly offensive stunt like the Bruno's-Butt-In-M&Ms lackluster face of phony disdain and disgust...hahaha...it's just so funny I forgot to laugh....
But MTV knows that Adam would completely turn such an attempt completely the other way around and prove MTV to be the cravenly bigoted pimp that it is.

Posted by: jal-big | August 7, 2010 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Why is everyone calling this a snub? Adam was not the only popular musical artist who wasn't nominated. (Case in point: Black Eyed Peas) I love Adam, but come on ... not everything is a conspiracy!

Posted by: blondiegrrl007 | August 8, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse