Posted at 11:51 AM ET, 09/ 8/2010

Angelina Jolie condemns planned Koran burning

By Sarah Anne Hughes

Angelina Jolie has spoken out against the proposed burning of the Koran by a small Florida church on the ninth anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks. When asked about the church's plan, Jolie responded, "I have hardly the words that somebody would do that to somebody's religious book."

Jolie is in Pakistan visiting victims of the recent flooding, the worst in the country's history. "There are people displaced by the floods and they've lost their homes. And the floodwater was as high as this ceiling when you see the mark, and I was surprised by that," Jolie said to reporters. "And their needs need to be addressed."

By Sarah Anne Hughes  | September 8, 2010; 11:51 AM ET
Categories:  Brangelina, Celebrities
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jenny Slate leaves 'Saturday Night Live,' and we ask, what went wrong?
Next: Willow Smith -- following other celeb kids -- goes into family business

Comments

The unamerican Christian bigots will go the way of the KKK, into oblivion.

Posted by: thomasmc1957 | September 8, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I can rest assured now that I know Angelina's views on the whackjob Florida "church".

Posted by: JLRGG | September 8, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

"I have hardly the words..." You can say that again.

Posted by: kabuki3 | September 8, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I am sick & tired of the "un-informed, the usually stupid celebrities and the a**clown in the white house" attempting speaking for the rest of us. It seems to be completely acceptable for the Muslims to murder Americans, burn our flag, burn effigies, etc....and yet when we attempt to protest in ANY fashion, it's racist, evil, etc, etc. I say Burn baby burn! We have the same rights you people afford our enemies, so why whine & complain when we protest? If it's not the ILLEGAL Immigrants(notice the first word is ILLEGAL) burning flags and defaming this country, it's pathetic liberals standing up for our enemies. If you people think so highly of them, then leave the USA and go live there.

Posted by: beesuzanne | September 8, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

If Terry Jones were smart (and, I'm not saying he is), he would go forward with the burning but stop it just before any Qurans were actually burned. He could then make the point that, although he has the right to burn Qurans, he would not do it because it would be distasteful and inappropriate.... just like building a Mosque near ground zero.

Posted by: BFDS1 | September 8, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BFDS1 | September 8, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Why do all these celebs think we care what they think? Fat Oprah spends money overseas, when Chicago kids are starving, Jo and Brad spend a lot of their money overseas and adopting from overseas, Brad is doing OK in NO. Mr. Venezuela Penn spends his in Haiti, but not LA. But, why don't they spend the time here and help America and stop bashing things that made them successful.

Posted by: Jankman | September 8, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

What disturbs me MORE is all the rhetoric about how a pastor in Florida doing this will incite violence from Muslims around the world. Whaa? So we should not do something, which is protected by our Constitution (but obviously not by good taste) because of the fear that someone outside our borders will be offended enough to cause violence to a non-violent act? Perhaps that is the root of the problem. Ask yourself: If you believe the American flag is sacrosanct, would you threaten harm to someone who has the right to burn it?

Posted by: jackieRo | September 8, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

it always amazes me when people end up here without realizing that it's a place where the topic celebrity (and what they think/do) is, well, SORT OF THE POINT. Sure, I could go off on Teapartiers like Yahtzee on Kane and Lynch - but how would it be relevant?

Apparently you cant hate religious book burning without hating america...

Posted by: quintiliusvarus | September 8, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Beesuzanne- Thank you for your thoughtful and considered statements that added a great deal of insight to this thread. While I do not agree with you that it is acceptable for Muslims (or anyone) to murder Americans (or anyone), I respect your right to state that opinion and, in fact, I admire your bravery in stating it. I do agree with you that protesting against Islam and burning their holy book to protest the actions of a few radicals is racist and evil, so at least we have some common ground there.

I'm not sure I'm on board with burning babies, but you seem awfully enthusiastic about it.

I'm curious about one thing, though. I can't find the source of your quote "un-informed, the usually stupid celebrities and the a**clown in the white house." Googling this phrase brings up a lot of Insane Clown Posse-related sites. Are you a juggalo? If so, can you please explain to me how magnets work? Thanks!

Posted by: karmadrome | September 8, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Dear Karmadrome:

Congratulations, you have won today's Internet! The official certificate should arrive in your inbox shortly. Until then, please accept the thanks of a delighted populace.

Yours,
The Syndicate of the Interwebs and Its Associated Anonymii Therein

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | September 8, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

I'm soooooo glad I know Angelina Jolie and Sarah Palin are against burning the Koran. I couldn't have formed my own opinion of the issue without their wisdom telling me what to do. (heavy sarcasm)

Posted by: momof20yo | September 9, 2010 7:31 AM | Report abuse

Why would ANYONE care at all about what she has to say about the world situation? This is so dumb it's annoying!

Posted by: scoogy | September 9, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse