Posted at 7:57 AM ET, 09/15/2010

Casey Affleck settles harassment suits; Jennifer Lopez reportedly on as 'Idol' judge

By Jen Chaney

Wednesday

Celebrity Beat: Casey Affleck settles pair of sexual harassment suits filed by women who worked on the documentary "I'm Still Here"... Jennifer Lopez has reportedly signed $12 million contract to become "American Idol" judge... Lady Gaga gets through airport security with handcuffs (and, also, while being half-naked)... Assault case against Jodie Foster has been dropped... Jon Voight accuses Time magazine of being anti-Semitic... No Doubt bassist Tony Kamal and girlfriend expecting their first child... Is this really Mel Gibson in disguise?

Pop Culture: Danny Boyle's "127 Hours," starring James Franco, causes some Toronto Film Festival audience members to faint... Ryan Reynolds to produce NBC comedy.. Billie Mae Richards, voice of "Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer," has died... "Getting to Happy," Terry McMillen's sequel to "Waiting to Exhale," will be made into a movie... TBS cancels comedy "My Boys."

By Jen Chaney  | September 15, 2010; 7:57 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Daily Mix, Pop Culture
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Remembering Patrick Swayze on the first anniversary of his death
Next: Can Jennifer Lopez revive 'American Idol'?

Comments

"Casey Affleck settles pair of sexual harassment suits..." Thanks for that, Jen Chaney. Now the phrase "that's a nice pair of sexual harassment suits" is playing on a loop in my head.

"Lady Gaga gets through airport security with handcuffs (and, also, while being half-naked)." yeah, but how much of that is Lady-Gaga-half-naked-related and how much is the-TSA-was-too-busy-confiscating-a-four-ounce-bottle-of-shampoo-from-a-child-related?

Jon Voight accusing Time of being anti-Semitic is bizarre, especially when you consider who runs the world's media.*

*Multibillion-dollar international conglomerates, I mean. I'm sure their stockholders would look dimly upon any corporate attitudes that would reflect poorly upon the stock price.

Posted by: byoolin1 | September 15, 2010 8:20 AM | Report abuse

I guess the women are disappointed that Casey is "Still Here."

Actually, I think airport security would prefer we all arrive completely naked. It would make their job so much easier, and cost less that the virtual strip-search machines with the "modesty blocks".

That is not Mel Gibson. That is my cousin Joel.

re 127 hours. What's next? A remake of Bravehearty showing the actual hanging, disembowelling, drawing and quartering of William Wallace?

I had all sorts of thoughts referring to "My Boys" being cancelled (actually that was part of the English mideval public execution routine as well) but none of them a suitable for repeating since I want to keep postin.

Posted by: reddragon1 | September 15, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

You know, even as a kid, I hated the Christmas special "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer." The message I got was "If you are different, you better have some useful skill or it is okay for even the nicest guy in the world (Santa) to shun you."

Posted by: epjd | September 15, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

The first person that popped into my head when I saw that supposed pic of Mel Gibson was Jamie Kennedy.

Posted by: luvlydawter | September 15, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

ep, there's a video on YouTube called "Santa Is a Jerk" (something like that) and it's just "Rudolph" clips of him being nasty. I'm with you there.

reddragon1, stop watching Bluefly commercials. (But I do see your point.)

Time anti-Semitic? Thank goodness then that we still have Newsweek, a multicultural rainbow of diversity and inclusion.

"127 Hours" is my term for what it feels like sitting through a single episode of "Two and a Half Men."

Waiting to Exhale II? Expect man bashing, car fires, and Whitney Houston looking fantastic and completely together. (OK, maybe not that last one.)

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | September 15, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

td, I call it "Two and a Half Jokes" but I may be giving them too much credit.

Posted by: reddragon1 | September 15, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

I like your name better, reddragon1. And yes, you may be giving them too much credit. Very altruistic of you.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | September 15, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Lady Gaga gets through airport security with handcuffs, while half naked. Heck, most of us get through airport security half-naked these days. Gaga just wears it better. As for the handcuffs, Byoolin, they weren't confiscating shampoo from a child, it was a sippy cup, and Gaga's lucky they didn't ask her to donate the cuffs to the cause.

Mel Gibson, that's better than your Saddam-Hussein-in-the-spider-hole look, but still not good.

Posted by: northgs | September 15, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

RIP Edwin Newman, legendary NBC radio and TV newsman and one-time SNL guest host (long live the "Hard News Café" complete with his colleague Irving R. Levine's bow-tie, and a skit with Newman manning a suicide hotline where he kept correcting the poor caller's grammar).

I had the pleasure of meeting Edwin Newman about 20 years ago, and he couldn't have been more gracious, charming and witty (also, much handsomer in person than on TV). He lamented that one drawback of writing "A Civil Tongue" was that some people were always lying in wait to ambush him, should he commit an error in grammar or vocabulary.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 15, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Considering how I felt after the horrifying tooth scene in "Cast Away", I won't be seeing the gratuitous "127 Hours". I guess those filmmakers don't realize it's much more powerful NOT to show something, and let the audience's imagination fill in the details. Think the final scene from "Se7en" -- you KNEW what was in that box.

Posted by: Californian11 | September 15, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Hey Californian, I agree. Jaws and Alien both were scarier for not seeing the beastie until well into the films. I remember that incident--makes me shudder to think about it. Suspect that people are getting ill because it was a "real" event vs purely fictional gore. I'll take a pass, thanks.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | September 15, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse