Posted at 12:10 PM ET, 09/23/2010

Does Justin Bieber think he's his generation's Kurt Cobain?

By Sarah Anne Hughes

Justin Bieber = Kurt Cobain? (AP)

Posted by Sarah Anne Hughes

New post: Justin Bieber, in action figure form

Rumor alert! A hilarious but unauthenticated Justin Bieber quote is circulating online, striking panic into the hearts of Nirvana fans everywhere: "I feel like the Kurt Cobain of my generation, but people just don't understand me."

Did he say it? Probably not. The quote first appeared on Bieber Report as text next to a picture of a tough-looking Bieb. But that's where the trail ends. A Google search returns only a Buzzfeed entry, a Daily What post and many angry tweets. But no original source for the quote can be found.The credibility of post's author is also extremely questionable. Earlier this month, Bieber Report posted this fake Bieber quote: "I was 12 when I had my first Colt 45, now I am famous."

Whether this quote is real doesn't seem to matter to Twitter users, who are kvetching about the comparison in large numbers.

Other Cobain-related panic struck earlier this year when it was reported that "Twilight" dreamboat Robert Pattinson was being considered to play Cobain in a biopic.That rumor turned out to be false.

In news that you wish were a joke, a "CSI" episode featuring Bieber playing a street tough will air tonight on CBS. Will his acting debut be as funny as this quote? Judging by the preview, I'd say yes.

Believe me readers, I will get to the bottom of this and will update you when this quote is verified or is confirmed as a prank.

By Sarah Anne Hughes  | September 23, 2010; 12:10 PM ET
Categories:  Celebrities
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fan arrested outside Madonna's New York apartment; Katy Perry booted from 'Sesame Street'
Next: Ian Somerhalder talks oil spill, Twitter, his 'Sexy Beast' status, 'Lost' and more

Comments

Tough-looking Bieb...wooohooo...good one...I snorted my lunch beverage right outta my nose on that one!!

Posted by: wadejg | September 23, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Quick, someone introduce him to Courtney Love.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | September 23, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Ward, we have a problem with the Bieb.

Posted by: reddragon1 | September 23, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Actually, you know what, I'm sorry, no one should ever have to meet Courtney Love.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | September 23, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

OH NO! Smells like Bieb Spirit!

Posted by: marymoo | September 23, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Fake Bieb tweets! Cue the territorial pissings...

Posted by: northgs | September 23, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Smells like 4Chan.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | September 23, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

The very idea just made me nir-vomit.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | September 23, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

That's an INSULT - HA! Next there will be a comparison to the Beatles or any of the other greats... Watch VH1's "Greatest Rock Artists."

Posted by: luv2icesk8 | September 25, 2010 1:11 AM | Report abuse

td_in_baltimore - I agree 100% just seeing this infuriates me!!!!

Posted by: luv2icesk8 | September 25, 2010 1:14 AM | Report abuse

If anybody is the next Kurt Cobain, it's Steve Pethel - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KpD1ZS-7cQ&feature=related

Here's an interview and stuff. This is seriously, the NEXT Cobain at only 17 and he plays the guitar strung backwards.

Posted by: HeatherK1 | September 26, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse