Posted at 1:40 PM ET, 09/ 7/2010

Fashion statement: Venus Williams's questionable U.S. Open outfit

By Sarah Anne Hughes

Well, it certainly is ... interesting! (Getty Images)

Posted by Sarah Anne Hughes

While the U.S. Open is a sporting event, it also serves as a cool place for celebrities to be photographed. Kanye West, "Gossip Girl" actors Jessica Szohr and Ed Westwick, Usher, Cameron Diaz and other celebs were all reportedly at various Open events. Maybe the presence of so many spotlight-stealing celebs explains the attention-grabbing, pinkish-red, sparkle-motion outfit that Venus Williams -- a celebrity in her own right -- wore Monday.

It's not so much the velour-fireworks bodice that Post producer Andrea Browne likened to an Ice Capades costume. It's the fact that there's no bottom half. Perhaps Williams was sporting the very chic, Lady Gaga-inspired no-pants look. But even after a sweltering D.C. summer, I remain firmly on team pants. What do you think of her outfit? Vote in the poll below.

By Sarah Anne Hughes  | September 7, 2010; 1:40 PM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Fashion
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Send us your Lady Gaga fan photos, Little Monsters!
Next: In light of Kanye West's tweeted apology, we look at ways celebs use Twitter

Comments

I love the Williams sisters, so it pained me, but I had to vote "terrible." Pants are good!

Posted by: talleyl | September 7, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Don't care much what she wears, as long as it doesn't take away from play. I watched most of the match, and she spend half the time pulling her skirt back down. It looked liked she had a hard time moving around, which probably is not a good thing. There's a reason why other players wear loose skirts...

Posted by: src22 | September 7, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

She's got more than just a toe, thats the entire camel hoof down there... Get some pants!

Posted by: ozpunk | September 7, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

It's trashy looking!

Posted by: Searching3 | September 7, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

I watched the match and I have to say that the whole pulling and tugging at the outfit was really distracting. Tacky outfit.

Posted by: rodeno | September 7, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Somebody get the net.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 7, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Somebody get the net.

Posted by: curmudgeon6 | September 7, 2010 3:27 PM

Sploot! Requisition me a keyboard from stores, will you?

Any outfit that requires adjusting between every point is useless--running around in that thing made it ride up around her waist and she had to pull it down between every point. Just dumb.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | September 7, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

I thought that Queen Liz is the Pantless One. Venus Williams is an usurper! Begone, Pantless Pretender!!!!

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | September 7, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I think if it was like what track runners where I wouldn't care but if she had to fidgit every time that'd be annoying. To sum:

conceptually fine, poor execution...

Posted by: LTL1 | September 7, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

For many years I've wished for the pantless look to be in style and it's finally here!

Posted by: Guest1234 | September 7, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

As stated above, the real problem is that the da^n dress doesn't fit her correctly. If she were out nightclubbing, it'd be terrific. Quite frankly, it's not all that flattering. Then again, no one has ever confused the sisters' clothing designs with Dior or Chanel. They both need to find some way to minimize the caboose that they both possess, esp. Serena.

Posted by: fortenbaugh | September 7, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

She looks trashy all of the time, so the pants didn't make much difference.

Posted by: richard36 | September 7, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Still wearing more than she would on a beach or at a pool.

Who cares? Who has so little life that this would be a big deal for them?

Posted by: FredEvil | September 7, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather see Serena wearing it, instrad of Venus...

Posted by: SportzNut21 | September 7, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

It looks like she misunderstood the term U.S. "Open"!

Posted by: kblgca | September 7, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Let's hope this doesn't give South African "female" runner Caster Semenya any ideas. Could get real scary.

Posted by: broadwayjoe | September 7, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Honestly---this outfit isn't that bad. I think the photo you got is when the wind was blowing up a storm and caught the hem.

It's really fine and in line with almost everybody else's outfit. Now, it's not the outfit in France which was kind of a hoot But this one was no more risque than Wozniacki, Sharapova and other players.

Posted by: zonkerscm | September 7, 2010 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Working girl chic! The WTA needs to develops dress code guidelines for its players before one turns up naked! VW is on the threshold.

Posted by: AlFergsen | September 7, 2010 11:58 PM | Report abuse

I agree with zonkerscm. While I'm not a fan of Venus' outfit, I don't understand all of the controversy surrounding it. Caroline Wozniacki wore a similarly short tennis dress with her neon yellow knickers ablaze and no one has seemed to mention it.

Posted by: clw96 | September 8, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

"CBS went so far as to later display a "tug count" that tallied the number of times Venus and Peer pulled at their respective dresses following a point. At the time, Venus was leading Peer 42 to four."

The fact that she had to tug at the top/dress so often would lead me to think it's not a good outfit to wear for tennis. She should have just made the bottoms a tad longer and the top a tad shorter and it would not have been an issue.

Posted by: Vienna8425 | September 8, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Trashy and ridiculous IMO. I am also tired of the outfits and "look at me-itis" infecting so many sports -- it should be about the sport, not the outfit. Shows like DWTS seem to have picked up where ice dancing left off -- the costumes get teenier and more ridiculous each time.

Posted by: Californian11 | September 8, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Her hot pink "day" outfit was nothing compared to her "lady of the night" lingerie she wore Friday evening: http://celebs.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474978497378

Posted by: pfluff | September 8, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse