Posted at 11:45 AM ET, 09/14/2010

George Michael sentenced to 8 weeks in DUI case

By Sarah Anne Hughes

George Michael will serve time in jail. (Kirsty Wigglesworth/AP)

George Michael was sentenced Tuesday to eight weeks in jail for driving under the influence of drugs, the Associated Press reports. The singer, 47, pleaded guilty last month to driving under the influence and for possession of cannabis after he drove his car into a London Snappy Snaps store in July. He was also fined nearly $2,000. In August, Michael was banned from driving for six months.

This is not first drug-related arrest for the former Wham! frontman. He was sentenced to community service after pleading guilty to driving while unfit in 2007. In 2008, Michael was arrested, taken to a police station and cautioned for possessing Class A and Class C drugs.

By Sarah Anne Hughes  | September 14, 2010; 11:45 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 'The Oprah Winfrey Show' and its many faces
Next: Lady Gaga, calling on Sen. Harry Reid

Comments

Why can't he do it? Why can't he set his monkey free? Always givin' in to it...

Great. Now this is going to be stuck in my head all day!

Posted by: CJH2 | September 14, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Apparently, someone marked the wall where his car hit:

Posted by: alexandrian78 | September 14, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Wonder if Her Majesty's Justices could arrange for him to serve his sentence in a Latin American jail. Not sure if Belize belongs to the British Commonwealth or not...

Posted by: reddragon1 | September 14, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Well if you're going to sentence a member of WHAM! Make It Big!

Am I wrong to wonder if sentencing a man with a notorious public male pickup history to eight weeks in an all-male prison might not exactly be a punishment?

I can see him now singing to his fellow inmates:

I don't want my freedom, I don't want to drive around.
I don't want less jail time, baby, prison love won't bring me down.
I don't need your freedom, man, all I want right now is you.

Woo-oo-oo.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | September 14, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

reddragon
Not sure if Belize belongs to the British Commonwealth or not.

What about Guyana (formerly British Guyana)?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 14, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

too bad for him he did the crime in the UK -- in America you don't have to take responsiblity for your criminal offenses if you are a celebrity -- in LA he would have gotten off scott free, like all the other celebs do

Posted by: RBCrook | September 14, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse