Posted at 6:10 AM ET, 09/ 2/2010

Happy '90210' Day!

By Jen Chaney

Today is a historically significant day, one that literally comes once in a lifetime.

It's "90210" Day, a date (09/02/10) when numerology demands that we pay homage to Steve Sanders, Dylan McKay and the sexy, edgy dangers of the Peach Pit After Dark.

To celebrate this momentous occasion, I've compiled a list of some of my favorite "90210" moments. Yes, there is a totally biased emphasis on scenes from the early seasons. And no, I am not including segments from the new "90210." Let's not engage in blasphemy on "90210" Day, okay? I'd rather not run the risk of being haunted forever by the ghost of Scott Scanlon.

Brenda and Kelly wear the same dress to the spring dance: This episode was a big deal back in the day because, somewhat controversially, it depicted a pair of teens (Brenda and Dylan) embarking on a sexual relationship. But the main thing I remember about it is the fact that Brenda (the endearingly bitchy Shannen Doherty) and Kelly (preppy-pretty Jennie Garth) wore the same dress, a fact that is more remarkable in retrospect. Both of them thought that a white ribbon splayed across their chests was a good idea?

Brenda pretends to be French: While spending the summer in Paris, Brenda pretended to be French in order to seem more intriguing to Dean Cain. Why Dean Cain ever remotely believed she was French remains an enduring "90210" mystery. Dude, you're Superman (or at least eventually played him on TV). You have X-ray vision and you can't see through that accent?

Donna Martin engages in conflict resolution: When Kelly hooked up with Dylan while Brenda was spending that aforementioned summer romancing Dean Cain in Paris, it led to one of the great love triangles/rom-dramas in early '90s television history, providing fodder for some heated dorm room debate among the
"90210" faithful. (At least it did among the "90210" faithful who gathered every Wednesday in my dorm room to watch the show.) Donna, ever the loyal friend to both girls, tries to mediate the tensions in this scene, which delivers perhaps my favorite exchange in "BH" history.

Kelly: "Well, we have our crosses to bear."

Brenda: "And our legs to uncross."

Color Me Badd shows up at the Peach Pit: This scene is so early '90s, it makes me want to sex something up ... and not necessarily in a good way.

Three words: Donna Martin graduates:

The Baby Boomers have their generational slogans, their "Give peace a chance" and their "Turn on, tune in, drop out." Generation Xers? We have "Donna Martin graduates."

So what's your favorite "90210" moment? And how will you be celebrating this very special "90210" Day? By saying some prayers before your Andrea Zuckerman shrine? Listening to those old cassette tapes of David Silver's West Beverly Hills High radio show? Weigh in with a comment and share.

By Jen Chaney  | September 2, 2010; 6:10 AM ET
Categories:  Pop Culture, TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sean Penn on 'Between Two Ferns'
Next: T.I. arrested on drug charges; Paris Hilton banned from Wynn properties, still welcome at Vegas Hilton

Comments

Thanks to this post, I'm going to have the theme music stuck in my head all day. D:

Posted by: kennedye | September 2, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Good times. We had some kind of drinking game based on when Dylan would brood, Donna would whine, etc. With that said, I freely admit to wanting to be Dylan. I think it was the car...

Wtat made it even better was Melrose Place was on right after.

Posted by: vwoobah3803 | September 2, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

So happy to see a tribute to the REAL 90210. When every week was a heavy issue and the high school kids were all really 30.

Posted by: sjcpeach | September 2, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

I have a lot of favorite moments. But my favorite thing to do is list all of the horrible things that happened to Kelly Taylor before she turned 25. She was a walking disaster.

Posted by: krisingram | September 2, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

I am, admittedly, biased toward the hs years. But I think an under-appreciated gem is from the college episodes, I believe during Donna's senior year, when she is held hostage while on air at the student TV news station. Also great was when Kelly has that friend who goes all 'Single White Female' on her.

And @krisingram, I seem to remember that when '90210' ended 10(!) years ago, there was a guide that ran in my local paper charting every major problem, from drugs to cheating to alcohol to hostage situations, that the main characters went through.

Posted by: Liz20 | September 2, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

One of my favorite scenes by far is the electric slide to cure racism episode - http://wp.me/pYfpU-24. I'm currently wearing a floral babydoll dress & combat boots in honor of this glorious day!

Posted by: fatou1 | September 2, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

To heck with Beverly Hills 90210 ... I'm far more interested in Silver Spring 20910!

Posted by: SilverSpring8 | September 2, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

That show went down the drain after Shannon Doherty left.

Posted by: forgetthis | September 2, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

For everyone excited about 90210 day, please check out this amazing video and song in tribute to beverly hills. Written and performed by California's own rising star Roxy Darr.

Posted by: PAULTABAR | September 2, 2010 7:19 PM | Report abuse

I don't know how those crazy kids survived.

The DC101 DJ at 5pm today, God bless him whomever he is, played "How Do You Talk To An Angel" and proceeded to give the most awesome tribute to Ray Pruit ever.

Posted by: krisingram | September 2, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Hey Jen Chaney - Way to rip of dlisted.com's post yesterday about 90210. How about you come up with your own ideas?

Posted by: lyzi23 | September 3, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Hey, lyzi23: Didn't see that post. I wrote this late Wednesday night and scheduled it to go live early Thursday morning. Quite a number of bloggers wrote about 90210 Day, understandably, but I certainly didn't copy my post from another source.

Posted by: Jen Chaney | September 3, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse