Posted at 8:35 AM ET, 09/17/2010

Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert to host rally on the Mall; Sacha Baron Cohen to play Freddie Mercury

By Jen Chaney
The Daily Show With Jon StewartMon - Thurs 11p / 10c
Rally to Restore Sanity
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show Full EpisodesPolitical HumorTea Party
Friday

Celebrity Beat: Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert announce plans to host rallies -- title of Stewart's is Rally to Restore Sanity, while Colbert's is dubbed "March to Keep Fear Alive" -- on the Mall in Washington on Oct. 30; Stewart has even pre-made signs with slogans like "I Disagree With You, But I Am Pretty Sure You're Not Hitler" (updated with clarification)... Lady Gaga takes legal action against Pipedream Products, a company that manufactured a blow-up doll based on the singer; in a related story, Kim Kardashian is also reportedly pursuing legal action against the same company because of their Kinky Kim Filthy Love Doll... Speaking of Kardashian, she and mom, Kris Kardashian, apparently went on a $100,000 shopping spree in Paris... Shelley Malil, actor who appeared in "The 40-Year-Old Virgin," found guilty of manslaughter... Kid Rock testifies in court that he only fought after being provoked during Waffle House brawl... "America's Got Talent" winner Michael Grimm proposes to girlfriend on "Ellen DeGeneres Show"... Mark David Chapman, John Lennon's killer, admits to also considering shooting Johnny Carson and Elizabeth Taylor... Andrew Douglas, director of "The Amityville Horror," sues wife for convincing him for 17 years that a daughter was his.

Video: Denzel Washington visits the White House

Pop Culture: Sacha Baron Cohen to play Queen's Freddie Mercury in biopic... New drama about phobias from "Glee's" Ryan Murphy could get picked up by Fox... Speaking of Fox, an official announcement about the "American Idol" judges will finally come on Wednesday... Emma Stone of "Easy A" will host "Saturday Night Live" in October... Cee-Lo's "[Bleep] You," done a cappella at Brown University; not suitable for work, or for people who hate college a cappella groups.

By Jen Chaney  | September 17, 2010; 8:35 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Daily Mix, Pop Culture
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Joaquin Phoenix: Yes, it was a hoax
Next: Sacha Baron Cohen will play Freddie Mercury. But can he sing? Let's go to the video clips!

Comments

"I Disagree With You, But I Am Pretty Sure You're Not Hitler"... Sure, pretty easy for a unAmerican lefty liberal socialist elitist anti-colonial new media type to say. (Besides, what would a guy like Stewart know about a guy like Hitler?)

A Lady Gaga blow-up doll? I gotta get me one of those. And a pound of bologna slices.

The Kinky Kim Filthy Love Doll, on the other hand, is like one of those old "Bobo the clown" punching bags - VERY bottom-heavy.

Posted by: byoolin1 | September 17, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

I suspect a reality TV show starring the Kim Kardashian blow-up doll would be at least as successful as Kim's real show.

Posted by: MStreet1 | September 17, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Why wasn't Glen Beck's rally on the mall placed under the Entertainment section as is Stewart's? This is being presented by a mainstream comic, but Stewart's political satire should seen as a counter-punch to Beck's Elmer Gantry style showboating.

Posted by: PupptMaster | September 17, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

"Glee"'s Ryan Murphy has a new phobia drama for Fox. First thought: Monk, the Singing Detective. Then I checked the article, which is headlined "Ryan Murphy And Howard Gordon Join For High-Concept Fox Phobias Drama". So, it's a West Wing retread?

Stewart and Colbert to host rally in DC. Oh man, I wrap a big work project that week, I might just have to come down for that as a post-project treat. Besides, those websites are genius.

It says something abut Sasha Baron Cohen's career that Freddy Mercury is a staid, conservative choice of characters.

Gaga's legal strategy: cease-and-desist, defamation suit. Kardashian's: negotiate royalties.

Posted by: northgs | September 17, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

While I don't "get" Sasha Baron Cohen, I'm oddly intrigued at the Freddie Mercury idea alla sudden. Go figure.

Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert are idiots.

That's all I got. Must have ergophobia today.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | September 17, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

I'm so delighted by those rallies, I can't even tell you. I'll be there carrying one of those signs high.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | September 17, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

"Waffle House brawl" is the greatest Kid Rock related event possible.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 17, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

td
Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert are idiots.

As opposed to that genius Christine O'Donnell? *snort*

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 17, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

The original video for Cee Lo's song is pretty entertaining, too!

Same caveat applies re: playing at work, or near young ears . . . actually, probably even more so, because the audio is much better!

Posted by: pfallsgirl | September 17, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

"New drama about phobias from "Glee's" Ryan Murphy could get picked up by Fox" ... What is the technical term for fear of having slushies thrown on you? Iceesplashaphobia?

Posted by: yellojkt | September 17, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Bawlmer51

Me too! How about a Lizard Island contingent, maybe even with our own banner? But what should it say, that would epitomize the Celebritology snark philosophy as well as attract air time on TV and/or YouTube?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 17, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Hrm... looks like a DC Roadtrip is in order.

Posted by: quintiliusvarus | September 17, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Hrm... looks like a DC Roadtrip is in order.

F*&% yes. And we do need a good slogan.

"Celebritology: When Fame and Politics Collide, We're There To Argue About The Coverage Bias"

"Celebritology: At Least We Admit We're Fake"

"Spencer Pratt For President: Let's Just Get It Over With"

"Keep Yelling, There Are Cameras"

"I'm Only Here For The Crotch Shots"

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | September 17, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I'm in! ;-)

Oh yeah, I can *totally* see Cohen as Freddie Mercury. Perfect casting.

I think the description of that Kim K. doll is *very* accurate. Given her reaction, so does she ... Hon, if you don't want to be thought of as a bimbo, stop acting like one.

Posted by: Californian11 | September 17, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Nosy, I'm not getting into politics with you. Not interested in your O'Donnell (or Palin or other politican) bashing. While calling those Stewart/Colbert "idiots" might've been a tad harsh, I believe the proposed rallies do no one any favors.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | September 17, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

td - at least we've got chicken

Posted by: quintiliusvarus | September 17, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Am I missing something? Aren't Colbert and Stewart's tongues wedged firmly in cheek? I think some good old-fashioned humor in our nation's capital is a much-needed breath of fresh air.

Posted by: Californian11 | September 17, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

quintilus, I assume you'll be wearing the Leroy Jenkins t-shirt?

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | September 17, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

And where's my bro Dorkus at? Us nerds have to represent.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | September 17, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Hey - as a DC denizen (who needs only go for a lunch time walk to hit the Mall on October 30th) I am all for this rally - I'll bring the magic markers, and I see it as apolitical.

It feels like the current political system has made us the kind of people who can't talk to each other with out fear of 'bashing'. We should be able to thoughtfully discuss and disagree with one another. We are backed in to our respective corners (as defined by the fringe on either side) holding our pepper spray praying that a political discussion won't come up.

Restoring the sanity and civility to our political process helps us, the people, make our decisions in a way that is not driven by misleading hype or fear of the imminent collapse of civilization as we know it.

Its both sides of the fence that are doing this. They win because it is easier to gain votes through unsupported provocative statements than it is to provide thoughtful clear position papers.

The fact that these 'colleagues' are allowed to disrespect one another the way they do is not productive, embarrassing us as a country and down right unprofessional. Would this be allowed in our offices? I can't imagine someone sending around emails about my CEO that were equivalent to what we've seen these past few presidencies.

Something needs to change, for all of us.

Posted by: LTL1 | September 17, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Oh yes and SBC as Freddie totally works for me. I am tone deaf as they come - I still happily sing loudly along with Freddie in the car and am thoroughly satisfied by the experience. I can only imagine that SBC will be better than me.

Posted by: LTL1 | September 17, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

"It's both sides of the fence that are doing this. They win because it is easier to gain votes through unsupported provocative statements than it is to provide thoughtful clear position papers."

Posted by: LTL1

brb, inscribing in gold and hanging on my wall. I'd just like to be able to have a discussion about government without feeling like I need to cringe and cover my groin every few seconds.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | September 17, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I was thinking of a 'Ghostcrawler promised me a Poney' sign but it doesnt feel dada enough. I was thinking "Beck stole Albert Hoffman's Bicycle" but an ancient grant morrison reference to mr nobody might be too meta

Posted by: quintiliusvarus | September 17, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm gonna take my two best girls to the Stewart and Colbert rallies.

I do hope that the Park Service has air pumps available in case Lady Gag Gag and Kinky Kim get the 3 o'clock droops.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | September 17, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

/clap clap clap clap

Sas, you win. Bravo, good sir.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | September 17, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

I am so bummed I won't be able to attend that rally. In complete agreement with LTL and Bawlmer (although I don't have to cover my groin) and think Colbert particularly has the right kind of humor to show how outrageous the political "dialogue" has become. What better than an outrageous over-the-top performance to illustrate how completely over the top the "serious" side of politics has become? Bravo. I will expect pictures and video, all you lizard island denizens.

I am also strangely thrilled at SBC as Freddie--so long as they promise to only use Freddie's voice on the songs! There are a handful of lead singers that are so distinctive it takes a miracle to find someone who sings as well in their style (and the only one that comes to mind is that kid from the Philippines who is channeling the still-alive Steve Perry for Journey).

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | September 17, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Shelley Malil was convicted of attempted murder, assault with a deadly weapon and domestic violence, not manslaughter as printed in your article. The victim provided key testimony at the trial.

Posted by: breningstall | September 18, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse