Posted at 11:25 AM ET, 09/ 7/2010

Kanye West apologizes to Taylor Swift in 140 character bursts

By Sarah Anne Hughes

Kanye West steals Taylor Swift's moment at the 2009 VMA Awards. (Jason Decrow - AP)

Posted by Sarah Anne Hughes

Over the Labor Day weekend a miracle occurred: Kanye West apologized. The famously arrogant rapper poured his damaged heart out via Twitter to apologize to Taylor Swift for his behavior at the 2009 MTV Music Video Awards. As Swift was onstage accepting an award for Best Female Video, West grabbed the trophy from her hand and uttered the now infamous phrase, "Imma let you finish." Now less than a week before the 2010 VMAs, West spewed out a boatload of Tweets -- "These aren't regular tweets... this is stream of consciousness" -- that covered every emotion possible.

At first he was defensive:

Man I love Twitter... I've always been at the mercy of the press but no more... The media tried to demonize meless than a minute ago via web

Then he gave us an explanation:

With the help of strong will, a lack of impathy, a lil alcohol and extremely distasteful & bad timing ... I became George Bush over nightless than a minute ago via web

And wanted us to see he paid:

How deep is the scar... I bled hard.. cancelled tour with the number one pop star in the world ... closed the doors of my clothing officeless than a minute ago via web

He wants the world to know he's making up for his crimes:

I wrote a song for Taylor Swift that's so beautiful and I want her to have it. If she won't take it then I'll perform it for herless than a minute ago via web

Was this whole thing a conspiracy?

WHO BENEFITED FOR REAL PEOPLE???!!!!!!!!less than a minute ago via web

But really he just wanted to say this:

I'm sorry Taylor.less than a minute ago via web

Swift has yet to comment, but really -- how could she not accept an apology like this? This year's VMAs host Chelsea Handler has talked about wanting to reunite the two. Is this the first step? Do you buy his apology or do you think it was all a big publicity stunt? Tell us in the comments section.

By Sarah Anne Hughes  | September 7, 2010; 11:25 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Weekend box office: George Clooney -- and 'The American' -- are No. 1
Next: Send us your Lady Gaga fan photos, Little Monsters!

Comments

Funny how easy it is to turn over a new leaf when your career is going down the tubes.

And he wrote her a song?

Kanye West song pitch tip of the day: Act like jerk to the artist, then write them an apology song that you hope they'll accept and record. ...So, would he keep the royalties or do they go to some 'rebuild my image' fund? Sorry Kanye, Taylor writes most of her own songs....Good try though:)

Posted by: SWatson75 | September 7, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

I hope people stop hatin on Kanye. Apparently everyone is out to get him.

I know, maybe someone will record a country version of the song he wrote for Taylor. Then he can cover it, and win a CMA award.

Posted by: reddragon1 | September 7, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Kanye will be just fine if he ever decides that he's an artist, not a "personality".

Posted by: bobsewell | September 7, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

I think his apology is heartfelt and sincere. Whatever emotion Kanye feels, he wears on his sleeve. He has no sensor that allows him to reflect and think before he acts on his raw emotion. Add Twitter to the mix and I think you get this stream of consciousness rant of his that culminates in an apology. Yes a stymied career might play into it, but it is the consequences of our actions that cause us to learn life's lessons. Nothing wrong with having a come to Jesus of your own making. I WANT KANYE TO TOUR w/ LADY GAGA. REANNOUNCE IT. MAKE IT HAPPEN. I'LL BE THE FIRST TO BUY A TICKET!

Posted by: shelley514 | September 7, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I have zero impathy [sic] for Kanye. Shoo, already.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | September 12, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse