Posted at 4:50 PM ET, 09/26/2010

Katy Perry on SNL: Sticking it to 'Sesame Street'

By Jen Chaneuy

Katy Perry was the musical guest on the premiere of "Saturday Night Live," but of course she couldn't let the evening pass without taking aim at her recent "Sesame Street" controversy.

During the "Bronx Beat" segment -- which reunited host Amy Poehler and former cast member Maya Rudolph in a reprise of one of their regular sketches -- Perry played a suddenly developed young library employee who just so happened to be wearing a tight-fitting Elmo T-shirt while bouncing around repeatedly in her seat. The subtext: "You want to remove me from the broadcast of a children's show for allegedly wearing inappropriate clothes? Fine. Let me show you how to get to real cleavage, 'Sesame Street.'"

Well played, Ms. Perry.

By Jen Chaneuy  | September 26, 2010; 4:50 PM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Celebritology Weekend: Lindsay Lohan heads back to jail; A 'Grey's' doctor at Colonial Williamsburg; Cameron Crowe, Nancy Wilson split
Next: Emily Deschanel gets married, and so does Johnny Knoxville; Lindsay Lohan plans to check into rehab; Katy Perry to guest star on 'The Simpsons'

Comments

Somehow I don't get the argument that showing breast on a preschool TV show is ok. And yes her nipples are hidden, but she's showing about half her breasts, easily.

The problem is that some people want to believe that it's ok. And a lot of people think that it isn't. Like swearing. Tacky, offensive, all that stuff. Saying "it's ok" just because *you* think that it's ok and ignoring or dismissing those who say that it isn't? And the reverse? That's the general problem here. I think that it's nice that women have breasts, great even, but why do they need to show them in public? Why show only 1/4 of them or even 1/3rd but not 2/3rds or 3/4ths of them and then say that no one should be offended or that it doesn't look tacky or even obscene? Why not just have those puppies puffing out of your top at a business meeting?

Posted by: tokenwhitemale | September 26, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Sesame Street invites Katy Perry, a performer well known for her sexy provocative image, onto their show and then are surprised that she is sexy?

Sesame Street owes Katy Perry an apology.

Posted by: Malibuguy | September 26, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Sesame Street owes Katy Perry an apology.

Posted by: Malibuguy | September 26, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Sesame Street owes Katy Perry an apology.

Posted by: Malibuguy | September 26, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Add me as a new fan a Katy Perry!

I barely knew who she was before last night.

I'm in love....

Posted by: kenk3 | September 26, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

That sketch was pretty funny and I'm glad she poked fun at the whole thing because it was ridiculous. Maybe I've just been completely desensitized but I saw a clip from that Sesame Street episode and I don't get it. She was just wearing a dress and wasn't showing any part of her breasts that a child wouldn't see on someone wearing even a fairly conservative bathingsuit at a public beach... or wearing your average sun dress walking into a restaurant.

If Victorian is the new black or something, I guess that's fine but at least pick on something a little more offensive. Seriously - there was nothing wrong with that dress. Barbie's outfits show about the same amount of cleavage and parents don't seem to be picketing in front of Mattel's headquarters.

Posted by: jo_nyc117 | September 26, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

I've seen the clip and she is pretty well covered - even if you don't count the fabric that goes to her neck. C'mon folks, deep calming breaths.

Posted by: kawilson69 | September 26, 2010 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Miss Perry's Sesame Street outfit was akin to a figure skater's in that it used fleshtoned fabric to carry off the "floating collar" looks, something not immediately apparent in some of the low-resolution clips of the episode shown on the internet.
I wonder why the same bluenoses who are so scandalized by Miss Perry are so "tolerant" of Bert & Ernie's "domestic partnership"? Or should that read "ignorant"?

Posted by: OttoDog | September 26, 2010 7:26 PM | Report abuse

I clicked on the youtube link expecting something scandalous, but good gracious -- it was just a little bit of cleavage! Nothing like Miss Piggy's! It's not as if she was topless or gyrating or something sexual. Sesame Street should have told the concerned parents to take a hike -- it was a cute number.

Posted by: fmjk | September 26, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

The Sesame Street "controversy" just shows that the Christian prudes are taking over. When are they going to start their campaign to stop children going to lakes, swimming pools and the beaches?

Posted by: cmecyclist | September 26, 2010 9:46 PM | Report abuse

She is a buxom, sexy singer who shows that in her performances but her skit on Sesame Street was conservative and appropriate for kids.

Posted by: cadam72 | September 26, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse

The target viewing audience would look at Katie and think "meal" not "feel"

Posted by: elias_howe | September 27, 2010 8:23 AM | Report abuse

I think the viewing age kids would be thinking "meal" not "feel"!

Posted by: elias_howe | September 27, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

They got Elmo's eyes just a little too high on that shirt.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 27, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Katy Perry, it would be nice if you could sing. You were awful on SNL, absolutely no talent

Posted by: shewholives | September 27, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: shewholives | September 27, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

I have a Sesame Street age watching child. C'mon Katy Perry; these are little kids. Shame on all of you who think its appropriate.

Posted by: butforthegraceofgod | September 27, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Um, I have no idea who Katy Perry is, other than from the paper; nor do I want to.
The two outfits look like before and after pictures for breast augmentations. Seriously, according to the picture of her on Seasame Street, she's either very good at hiding them or very good at stuffing. Perhaps both.
Now everyone knows who she is. Thanks a lot, Seasame Street!

Posted by: hebe1 | September 27, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

I, too, have a child of that age, and I think people are being ridiculous to make a big deal of her dress. Good for her for making fun of the "controversy."

And man, you guys should reallllly not watch the old Muppet Shows we grew up with - anyone remember Racquel Welch appearing? Not only did she wear far less and dance much sexier than Katy Perry, they even used the word "sex" on the show! Oh my god, it's a miracle we all survived.

Posted by: LizaBean | September 27, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse