Posted at 1:20 PM ET, 09/14/2010

Lady Gaga, calling on Sen. Harry Reid

By Jen Chaney

Lady Gaga, making cold calls and issuing Twitter pleas.(Interscope Records via Reuters)

Lady Gaga may still be getting criticism for wearing that meat dress to the MTV Video Music Awards. But the Queen of the Little Monsters seems far more focused on another issue: the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy.

Earlier today, Gaga tweeted a message to her 6.2 million-plus followers and asked them to call the office of Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) to request that a Senate vote be held on the matter of how gays in the armed services are treated.

"Gay Veterans were my VMA dates," Gaga writes. "Repeal Don't Ask Don't Tell. CALL HARRY REID to Schedule Senate VOTE"

I e-mailed Jim Manley, a senior communications adviser to the senator, and asked if the office had received any calls as a result of Gaga's tweet. He said he did not know if the phone lines lit up, but he did forward Sen. Reid's Twitter response to Gaga:

"@ladygaga There is a vote on #DADT next week. Anyone qualified to serve this country should be allowed to do so http://bit.ly/9ucdIj #nvsen"

As Manley also noted, the senator actually announced yesterday that the vote would happen next week, but apparently Gaga missed that memo. In other words, her attempt at engagement on this matter wasn't really necessary.

Still, the episode does raise a question. The pop star is an undeniably dominant figure in social media, and she certainly has ardent fans. But does she have the capacity to spark political action? Or does liking the song "Telephone" not necessarily translate into picking up the telephone just because Gaga directed us to do so?

Update: Gaga got wind of Sen. Reid's response and showed her appreciation via tweet:

"God Bless and Thank you @HarryReid, from all of us, like u, who believe in equality and the dream of this country. We were #BORNTHISWAY."

By Jen Chaney  | September 14, 2010; 1:20 PM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Music
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: George Michael sentenced to 8 weeks in DUI case
Next: Remembering Patrick Swayze on the first anniversary of his death

Comments

Typical Bizarre combination of today's Leftist politics.

Posted by: chicago77 | September 14, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

chicago77: One can only wonder why you feel it's bizarre about gays and lesbians wanting to serve their country. Why do you view gay patriots as leftest?
What are you?

Posted by: tedlpearson | September 14, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tedlpearson
"... One can only wonder why you feel it's bizarre...."

With all the bizarre actions of LEFTISTS today, I guess YOU ARE RIGHT!

Nothing is BIZARRE about a woman wearing a MEAT DRESS in public one day;
Then quoted as an expert on military affairs the next.

NOTHING is Bizarre;
in LEFTIST BIZZARRO WORLD.

Posted by: chicago77 | September 14, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

should be organizing calls to McConnell... it is not the Democrats that are holding up this show.

Posted by: angriestdogintheworld1 | September 14, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

It did have a result.

It got Gaga another mention in the Washington Post.

Mission accomplished.

Posted by: postfan1 | September 14, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

I need to see a doctor, fast. I just read this article, actually took it seriously, and now I'm writing a comment. I have to go, but I would like to know one thing. What is the best kind of meat to use in a meat dress?

Posted by: curtb | September 14, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

bacon
though ms gaga may wear Carpaccio if i get a vote

Posted by: quintiliusvarus | September 14, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

chicago77, no one has called her an expert on military affairs, other than you that I can tell. She's allowed to have an opinion, even if it's different than yours. But let's not split hairs, I absolutely love "rightist" politics. I love it when the country is governed based on the Bible instead of the Constitution. I love being a racist and denying others freedom of religion, because if I'm a republican I must be a patriot. My favorite part of the rightist politics of the eight years that preceded Mr. Obama YOUR MASTER, was the whole Teri Schiavo thing, that was classic, and then my absolute number one favorite thing i loved about the rightist politics that came out of the bush white house, was shackling, dragging, and locking up those American citizens who called disagreeing with the bushies some kind of Constitutional right. The bushies showed them didn't they? I am one proud American when the government locks people up and charges them with crimes for daring to have the audacity to disagree with the government. What do they think this is, a free country or something? About 3% of republicans know what they're voting for. The rest are mindless sheep who have been manipulated and controlled by beck, palin, rush et al. They wouldn't exist today if it werent for the millions and millions of gullible, naive, no nothing people who support them. That's why there's right wing radio and all of these right wing shows. by and large those who vote rethuglicon are incapable of formulating rational thought independent of those who tell them what they're supposed to think. They have to tune in every day for their daily download of thoughts. And if you don't like reality, don't worry, they've created an alternate version of it, and you fools actually believe it! I know not one thing about Lady GaGa, I think she's a joke. but if she ran against any of those radical un-American zealots that make up the conservative wing of the repuglicon party, I'd vote for her in a heartbeat. Then again, I'd vote for a tree stump before I'd vote for palin or anyone like her, so guess that's not saying much.

Posted by: red2million | September 14, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Shut up and sing, Gaga. it's all we want out of you.

Posted by: htimothyjones1 | September 14, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

I think the conservatives are just jealous they don't have a meat dress.

Posted by: TonyQ82 | September 14, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

It's like one Pinhead asking another mega-pinhead - does anyone take this seriously? Seriously!

Posted by: CJ123 | September 14, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

I think Gaga is more of a man than Harry Reid. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

I think Gaga may be smarter, too.

Posted by: Ombudsman1 | September 14, 2010 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Eh, Ombudsman - I get what you're trying to say with your comment, but it's pretty insulting to women to insinuate that a woman speaking her mind and being opinionated is acting manly. She's acting like a woman.

That being said, man do I dislike Gaga. Takes herself wayyy too seriously.

Posted by: laney619 | September 14, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse

lady gaga es una mujer valiente y hermosa a ella mis felicitaciones y mis besos..............desde san salvador....america central.......fran tejada

Posted by: fran_43 | September 18, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse