Posted at 11:30 AM ET, 09/18/2010

Lindsay Lohan on Twitter: I did fail drug test

By Jen Chaney

Lindsay Lohan, potentially headed back to jail. (AP)

After initially denying reports that she failed a recent court-mandated drug test, Lindsay Lohan has confessed.

On her Twitter feed, the recently released-from-rehab actress wrote: "Regrettably, I did in fact fail my most recent drug test and if I am asked, I am prepared to appear before judge Fox next week as a result."

She followed up with several more tweets.

Substance abuse is a disease, which unfortunately doesn't go away over night. I am working hard to overcome it and am taking positive steps forward every day. I am testing every single day and doing what I must do to prevent any mishaps in the future.
This was certainly a setback for me but I am taking responsibility for my actions and I'm prepared to face the consequences.
I am so thankful for the support of my fans, loved ones and immediate family, who understand that i am trying hard, but also that I am a work in progress, just as anyone else. I am keeping my faith, and I am hopeful....Thank you all!!!

Lohan's misstep could mean more jail time. The terms of her most recent sentence, as stipulated by Judge Elden Fox, clearly state that failing a drug trust could mean 30 more days in prison; Lohan served 14 days in jail in August, followed by 23 days in rehab, for violating her probation in a DUI case.

Given the serious consequences of all this, Lohan apparently tried to go the denial route. On Friday, she reportedly told Us Magazine that a TMZ report about her flunked drug test was false. "I'm fine," she said; when asked about the TMZ story, she responded, "They're all nuts." Apparently she had a subsequent change of heart and decided to come clean on Twitter.

It's unfortunate that Lohan is already struggling to stay sober so soon after getting out of rehab. But her honesty is certainly commendable, even if the truth-telling occurred with a slight delay.

Unfortunately, though, this latest development most likely means more time in court and/or jail for Lohan. And, of course, more blog posts on this whole depressing saga.

By Jen Chaney  | September 18, 2010; 11:30 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Lindsay Lohan
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Celebritology Weekend: Lady Gaga attempts contact with members of Congress; Adam Lambert vs. a Miami photographer
Next: Paris Hilton to plead guilty; Russell Brand's weekend arrest at LAX

Comments

I really, really hate it when people who label bad behavior as diseases. Let me make this perfectly clear: drug addicts, smokers, alcoholics, spousal abusers, pedophiles, et. al., don't have a disease, they chose and continue to choose to behave in bad and sometimes criminal ways.

I've been around people with cancer, AIDS, MS, etc., and those people have diseases. Lindsay, coking it up is not the same as having cancer, you chose to do the things you do so please sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here.

Posted by: playahatah | September 18, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Ms. Lohan continues to make the wrong decisions. She has yet to reach her "bottom". If she has violated the terms of her probation than she should be dealt with under no special circumstances or conditions. Ms. Lohan will find that Hollywood will drop her like a stone if she cannot produce money for it. Hollywood has many examples of celebrities who have died alone, with their addictions, in a bedroom. Marilyn Monroe and Heath Ledger come to mind. Ms. Lohan has plenty of examples to learn from. The question is will she learn or let her addictions get the best of her.

Posted by: bobbo2 | September 18, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

She's not trying real hard to clean up if the first night out of rehab she was already heading to the clubs. That is a volitional act. She could have stayed home.

Or maybe she could have stayed in rehab the full 90 days. Then she would not have been out to be tempted.

Face it, the girl doesn't want to change.

Posted by: epjd | September 18, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

I wish a judge would finally have the gumption just to throw the book at LiLo, with no time off for anything, and more time added whenever she defies or shows contempt for the court (like with that F-U fingernail stunt). She needs to be broken like a twig.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 18, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Agree 100% w/playahatah. You can't just get up one day and decide not to have cancer anymore.

Posted by: baskin1 | September 18, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

That look on her face is scary. She looks like she was hard wired to be a crack ho by the age of 8 years old.

Posted by: biffgrifftheoneandonly | September 18, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

playahatah, unless you've lived with someone with an addiction, you have no idea what you're talking about.

But Lindsay, come on. You've been out of rehab what, four hours? Please, grrl.

And that tweet above is amazingly well written. I wonder who wrote it for her.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | September 18, 2010 6:49 PM | Report abuse

she'll get off -- this judge doesn't care about justice, she is too busy kissing the rear end of celebrity . . . LiLo won't do jail time or rehab time -- she's too good for the criminal justice system, which worships at the feet of celebrity . . . on the other hand, LiLo will probably be dead soon and won't have time for jail

Posted by: RBCrook | September 18, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

I disagree. Addition is a disease. You can't just show up one day and say, "I choose to no longer be addicted to drugs (or alcohol, or abuse, or co-dependency, or chocolate, or fill in your addiction here)." It is a demon that has a hold of you. And you will fall down. But everytime you get up and try again, it is one step closer to success. I am rooting for her to get well.

Posted by: changingfaces | September 18, 2010 8:29 PM | Report abuse

I wonder how much her attorney charged her to write that post?

Posted by: 54465446 | September 18, 2010 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Likely, Lindsay Lohan has yet to hit bottom, but in addiction, every relapse brings the possibility for new learning. She has youth on her side and numerous incentives to obtain and retain a stable recovery. The jail time she is probably going to receive might give her her best chance, letting her know that all semblances of entitlement are rapidly slipping away. Addicts usually don't get clean as the result of a simple decision, but rather from riding the roller coaster of determining whether the accumulated pain's worth the perceived gain of staying stoned. When her felt consequences spill over the top, the impact of this disease might well hit her in the face with a thunderous slap. I hope she makes it - she's very talented, and even if she weren't, she still deserves the same break as anyone struggling to get clean- if she gives herself a break and stops this endless cycle of pain.

Posted by: fredlevy | September 19, 2010 3:32 AM | Report abuse

ooooo,.... shocker.

Posted by: witchofwestghent | September 19, 2010 7:42 AM | Report abuse

Her parents should be ashamed of what they did to this girl. I don't excuse Lindsey or her behavior but her parents really screwed her up

Posted by: dbeins | September 19, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

There are tens of thousands serving hard time for drug offenses who never had the chances in life that Lindsay Lohan has had.

Hardly anyone ever gives a thought about them.

Why the fuss about Lohan?

Why should we care?

Posted by: WhateverHeSaid | September 19, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

It just simply is a pity.

Posted by: OlafGunderson | September 19, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

There is no question that addiction is indeed a MEDICAL issue. In most civilized countries, it is treated as such. But in America, where the influence of fundamentalism runs deep, addiction is treated as a "sin" that must be pounded out of you by the police and the prisons.

Posted by: kcx7 | September 19, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Addiction is a biochemical imbalance in the brain that causes it to misfire thereby creating a real problem in decision making. It is not a volitional act. Do you research. It seems that you people here are a bunch of negative angry jackals and vultures who take pleasure in someone else's misfortune. Bottom feeders all. I hope you have some trouble in your life and get the same treatment so you can realize how negative you are being. Perhaps some of you are jealous

Posted by: ObservantOne | September 20, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

I am an ex addict, I have been clean now for 19 years. It took me to get locked up and to go into rehab for a while for me to really get a grip on my life. I thank the Judge and the police for locking me up and saving my life. Linzy need to do the same or she is going to wind up dead.

Posted by: reggie7 | September 20, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Miss Lohan (Linsay's Mother) you are the biggest enabler I ever witness in my life. If you care for your daughter, you need to get out of her life, and get your own. She needs to hit rock bottom so she can become sick and tired of being sick and tired. Then she will ask for help, which she desperately needs. Do this before it is to late.

Posted by: reggie7 | September 20, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

You know this is a diffucult comment. Some of you people do not understand addiction. People think that its a choice but its not. you physically get ill and could die if you just stop. Thats why people get help. Lindsay on the other hand has gotten help and a lot of chances and never takes it seriously. She claims that actions speak louder than words. I hate to say it but her actions are loud and clear. You have to want to get better. Some people can be a functioning addict and just party on the weekends. Others cant. They cross the line into addiction which is extremely hard to overcome. Ive had a lot of surgeries and got addicted to my pain medicine. Let me tell you, its a hard thing to get off of, especially when you are in a lot of pain. When you are talking about cocaine which is illegal thats something that you can control. yes, you may need help getting off it, but going out to the clubs like lindsay isnt helping. temptation is a killer. She needs to stay away from places like that.. I wish her all the luck in the world but it looks like she can only change and right now she doesnt want to have her career back.. she wants to go to the clubs and drink and do whatever else she does.. Its sad and her mom definitly doesnt help bc in Dinas eyes her daughter cant make mistakes. She claims her daughter is fine.. she needs to wake up and smell the roses.. instead of defending her she should be helping her and being a good mother. Dont go out with your child to the bars.. Your not her friend, your her mother, act like it! Lindsay is in a tough posistion because her family are in denial just as badly as she is! I wish her all the luck in the world but like linds said she is a work in progress.. Looks like shes working on getting high and succeeding! Wake up

Posted by: i143b | September 22, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse