Posted at 8:25 AM ET, 09/ 1/2010

Michael Douglas discusses throat cancer with David Letterman; Conan O'Brien expected to announce show name later today

By Jen Chaney

Wednesday

Celebrity Beat: Michael Douglas talks to David Letterman about his battle with throat cancer; says he has begun chemo and radiation this week, that the stage-four cancer hasn't spread and that he has 80 percent chance of recovery (Clarification: Douglas says the cancer has not spread below the neck)... Could Paris Hilton be blackballed from Las Vegas due to recent cocaine arrest?... Zsa Zsa Gabor's condition stabilizes after again being rushed to hospital... Bristol Palin plans to wear "most modest" "Dancing With the Stars" outfits... Tiger Woods moves into apartment in Manhattan... Samantha Ronson facing investigation in dog attack... George Clooney, Will Smith join actors participating in "Stand Up to Cancer" telethon... Miley Cyrus, Usher, other stars join Justin Bieber onstage at Madison Square Garden, where footage for his 3D biopic was being shot.

Pop Culture: Conan O'Brien expected to announce name of show today... George Clooney to cast Chris Pine, Philip Seymour Hoffman and Paul Giamatti in next directorial effort, the political thriller "Farragut North"... A look at who turned down "Dancing With the Stars," from Sylvester Stallone to Ann Coulter to Condoleeza Rice... Bethenny Frankel quits "Real Housewives of New York"... Some original cast members from "Pee Wee's Playhouse" join Broadway production of "The Pee-Wee Herman Show"... A sequel to "Kick-Ass" has reportedly been greenlit... Twelve tributes to "Lost," written in haiku form... "Piranha 3D" producer responds to James Cameron criticism.

By Jen Chaney  | September 1, 2010; 8:25 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Daily Mix, Pop Culture
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Zsa Zsa Gabor taken back to hospital
Next: Can George Clooney break the lousy Labor Day movie cycle?

Comments

Six words you don't hear very often (and when you do, they're usually accompanied by howls of laughter or a spit take): "Las Vegas, arbiter of public morals."

"Bristol Palin plans to wear "most modest" DWTS outfits" - please, please, PLEASE let it be a burqa.

Miley Cyrus, Usher, Justin Bieber - in 3D, but still one note.

Posted by: byoolin1 | September 1, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Blackballing Paris Hilton from Vegas would be like kicking BP out of the Gulf.

Count on Zsa Zsa to grab the spotlight, even when she's at death's door. Or not...

I predict Bristol will rock the first burka on DWTS.

I also would not like to see the Bieber on DWTS, but I suppose it is inevitable once his 15 minutes are over.

"Farragut North" will be filmed entirely in Toronto. The CN tower will stand in for the Monument.

Dick Cheney also turned down DWTS, but it's supposed to be a secret.

Wonder if it's called "Kick More -Ass."

How can anyone criticize the critically-acclaimed "Piranha 3-D"?

Posted by: reddragon1 | September 1, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

"We encourage users to analyze, comment on and even challenge washingtonpost.com's articles, blogs, reviews and multimedia features."

Sure you do. That was proved false last night when I commented and you didn't let it appear on the live comments.

Posted by: BoxxNine | September 1, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Perhaps Ms. Palin will re-enact the Kelly McGillis Amish Dance Scene from "Witness."

Posted by: reddragon1 | September 1, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Farragut North is finally getting its due after years of being overshadowed by Dupont Circle.

Posted by: kbockl | September 1, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Boxxline: Brie, Gouda or Camembert?

Posted by: byoolin1 | September 1, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

George Clooney and Chris Pine?!

Excuse me, I need to go pass out in a corner somewhere. Hur hur hur hur hur hur hur.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | September 1, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone else find the title about that Wikileaks guy on the front page a little unfortunate: Rape Probe on Wikileaks...

I mean rape and probe really ought not be in the same sentence and the leaks just really piles it on...

Posted by: LTL1 | September 1, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Well I have now found someone else that I'd like to see even less than the folks on the current DWTS - Ann Coulter - and lets just add Laura Selessenger (I can't be bothered to figure out the correct spelling) and Glen Beck.

Posted by: LTL1 | September 1, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

But Condi is one I would actually tune in to see...

Posted by: LTL1 | September 1, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

I wanna see Glenn Beck dance with Edyta when she is wearing one of her fringe costumes.

Posted by: reddragon1 | September 1, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

George Clooney to cast Chris Pine in political thriller "Farragut North." At first I wasn't buying it: no wonk is that sexy. Then it dawned on me that there are plenty of young wonks who *think* they're that sexy, so, perfect fit.

Posted by: northgs | September 1, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

reddragon, I question if it's really Beck you want to see ;-)

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 1, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Nosy, you are right. I could watch Edyta dance with Glenn Beck, or Beck the singer, or nobody at all.

Posted by: reddragon1 | September 1, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Listen, it doesn't get any sexier than Philip Seymour Hoffman AND Paul Giamatti. Just one would have been good enough. With both, I'll completely forget that George Clooney even exists!

If Bristol Palin wishes to dance in more modest garb, I highly recommend the fishing overalls her mom wore when she was out fishing.

Gilligan's Island
crossed with Lord of the Flies
I never watched Lost.

Posted by: mdreader01 | September 1, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Bristol clearly is not familiar with the world of ballroom dancing.

And I like the idea of taking a couple months off of life to show people what a strong work ethic I have! I wonder how my boss would feel about that...

Poor kid -- I probably thought the same thing when I was her age. I'm really trying hard not to hate her because of her mother, but most of the girls I know who have suddenly become mothers are working on trying to nail down stability in their lives for the long term ability to take care of their child on their own/with some support.

Posted by: capecodner424 | September 1, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

'As for temporarily relocating from Alaska to Los Angeles for the show, Bristol is still adjusting. “I feel like I’m melting,” she says. “It’s so hot here and there’s so much traffic.”'

Bristol, take off your clothes when you dance and you'll feel much more comfortable.

If Farragut North the movie wishes to be realistic, it will be behind schedule, shorter than expected, have peak of peak ticket prices, but no air conditioning in the theater, and the clientele will hog the seats.

Did I miss anything?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | September 1, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

sas, you forgot about people standing on the left as they exit the theatre.

For the love of all that's holy, why won't Lost just go the heck away???

Unless the name of Conan's new show is "I Decided to Retire and Take my Legions of Coco-Flakes With Me," I'm not interested.

-Snarky Squirrel

Posted by: 7900rmc | September 1, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

What's a guy like Ann Coulter doing on dancing with the stars?

Posted by: eezmamata | September 1, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

From "Latest Headlines" in left-hand column:
"Hilton banned from Wynn resorts after Vegas arrest"

I imagine Paris isn't too worried as long as she's still not banned from Hilton Hotels.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 1, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

"Ann Coulter wouldn't make it past the first time her dance partner told her to step to her left." --northgs

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! BRILLIANT!