Posted at 4:55 PM ET, 09/ 2/2010

More information on the arrest of T.I.

By Jen Chaney

T.I., leaving court in 2009. (Associated Press)

The big story of the day remains the arrest of rapper T.I. and his wife, Tameka "Tiny" Cottle, who were charged with drug possession after being pulled over in Hollywood Wednesday night. Here are some of the new developments in the situation since the story broke early this morning.

The drugs T.I. and Cottle are suspected of possessing methamphetamines, according to the Associated Press. But both TMZ and E! Online specifically mention ecstasy. ("They were pills resembling Ecstasy," Sheriff's Department spokeswoman Nicole Nishi told E!. "At this point the pills are being tested as we speak to confirm.") Both T.I. and Cottle were released from jail on $10,000 bond each.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that T.I.'s probation officer could ask a federal judge in Atlanta to revoke some of T.I.'s remaining probation, which ends in 2013. The hip-hop artist was released from a halfway house in March after serving three months there, following seven months in an Arkansas jail and 1,000 hours of community service, in connection with his guilty plea on federal weapons charges. Don Samuel, one of T.I.'s lawyers, told a Journal-Constitution reporter that T.I. will travel to Atlanta in the next 24 hours and will likely appear in court, though he noted that he did not know what the judge may decide regarding his probation. Additional jail time is a possibility, according to the newspaper.

Andy Young, the mayor of Atlanta -- T.I.'s hometown -- and the officiant at T.I.'s recent wedding to Cottle, also spoke to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution saying the news about the rapper's arrest "hurts his heart." He also expressed some doubts about why T.I. was stopped by police. "I don’t know why they should have been stopped ... When a black man is stopped and not speeding … you call that driving while black," the Journal-Constitution quotes him as saying. (For the record, police say they pulled him over while he was allegedly making an illegal U-turn.)

We'll provide more information as this story continues to develop.

By Jen Chaney  | September 2, 2010; 4:55 PM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Music
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Natalie Portman, apparent soon-to-be Oscar winner
Next: Paris Hilton's Twitpic of purse may impact defense in cocaine arrest; J. Lo 'Idol' deal back on?

Comments

While having high regards for Andy Young, It saddens me that he goes out on a limb for this thug and now has to use race as the catalyst that TI finds himself in. We must stop using race for everything and at some point except responsibility.

Posted by: bam1969 | September 2, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Idiot, you've been using race for 500 years now.

Posted by: stanmose | September 2, 2010 7:37 PM | Report abuse

T.I., T.I., T.I. ... you are not Robert Downey, Jr. Don't you know you won't get the same breaks!

Posted by: gitouttahere | September 2, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Using race for 500 years? Are you out of your effin mind? your greedy predecessors were willing to buy and sell human beings. Just because you are too lame to make something of yourself, theres no need for delusion. YOUR people brought us here. A slave using race...thats the dumbest thing Ive ever heard. no wonder your women are leaving you in droves.

Posted by: davis_renee | September 2, 2010 11:39 PM | Report abuse

I know you can only believe about a third of what you read anywhere, anymore, but all the reports I read previously mention that the officer smelled pot and stopped him for that. Now it's a question? I guess better to believe NONE of what you read until the facts are probable.

Posted by: tojo45 | September 3, 2010 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Uh, Andy Young is NOT the Mayor of Atlanta folks!

Posted by: joejoe5 | September 3, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse