Posted at 8:20 AM ET, 09/24/2010

Nancy Wilson and Cameron Crowe getting divorced; Eddie Fisher dies; Lindsay Lohan in court today

By Jen Chaney

Thursday

Celebrity Beat: Nancy Wilson files for divorce from writer-director Cameron Crowe after 20 years of marriage, citing irreconciliable differences; the couple has been separated since 2008, according to the Associated Press... Eddie Fisher -- pop singer, former husband of Debbie Reynolds, Elizabeth Taylor and Connie Stevens and the father of Carrie and Joely Fisher -- has died at age 82... Lindsay Lohan back in court today for hearing on failed drug tests; TMZ reports that she is unlikely to serve any jail time... Lady Gaga's meat dress to be preserved as jerky... Ashton Kutcher and Demi Moore are publicly affectionate at a Clinton Global Initiative Fund event, as they prepare to celebrate their fifth wedding anniversary while more cheating rumors surface... Portia de Rossi now officially named Portia DeGeneres... Nicole Richie and Joel Madden will reportedly marry in December.

Pop Culture: Emma Stone, Mia Wasikowska being considered for "Spider-Man" reboot... Team behind "The Hobbit" issues casting call for short actors, indicating that Peter Jackson is moving forward with plans for the pair of film adaptations, even though MGM has not given the go-ahead... Writers from "Lost," "Bones" and other series suggest how to get rid of "The Office's" Michael Scott... Baz Luhrmann to turn "Strictly Ballroom" into a stage musical... Christopher Nolan meeting with potential directors for next "Superman" movie.

Video: Jorge Garcia rocks out on stage with Weezer.

By Jen Chaney  | September 24, 2010; 8:20 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Daily Mix, Pop Culture
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Michael Douglas in 'Wall Street': When life elevates art
Next: Eddie Fisher: A singer best remembered for scandal

Comments

Wow, Liz Taylor has buried a lot of ex-husbands & one husband. Five if I've counted correctly. All that's left are John Warner & Larry Fortensky. Warner is 83 so she may yet bury another one.

Divorce court for Ashton & Demi in 5...4...3...2....

Posted by: wadejg | September 24, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

"Lady Gaga's meat dress to be preserved as jerky." Let's hope she used pre-shrunk meat.

"Team behind "The Hobbit" issues casting call for short actors..." Tom Cruise must be jumping up and down on the couch over this one.

How to get rid of "The Office's" Michael Scott: has anyone suggested using a trebuchet? I'd watch that.

Posted by: byoolin1 | September 24, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Unless you are of a "certain age" (I am) you have no idea how HUGE the Eddie/Debbie/Liz scandal was when it broke, to be followed only a few years latter by the Richard/Eddie/Liz scandal. (Few people knew who Burton's wife Sybil was.) Although the studio system was dying in the early 60s, Hollywood carryings on were still largely under the radar and only a handful of reporters covered the industry. If you read the obits for James Bacon, who just died, you realized that. He was an entertainment industry reporter who palled around with John Wayne and Frank Sinatra. Clint Eastwood described him "as a guy you'd want to hang out with." I don't think anyone today is getting that kind of access.

Posted by: jhpurdy | September 24, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Dang, kinda sad about Cameron Crowe and Nancy Wilson, but I guess 20 years is better than average for celebrity marriages these days. I remember reading 16-year-old CC's articles in Rolling Stone, which he later turned into "Almost Famous". So it goes.

Posted by: justmike | September 24, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

"Nancy Wilson and Cameron Crowe getting divorced" -- I didn't even know they were married. Guess he's not such a Magic Man anymore.

"Eddie Fisher ... has died at the age of 82" -- RIP Eddie. Expect a hilarious, biting, and loving book from Carrie about her relationship with her late father by Christmas.

"Lindsay Lohan back in court today for hearing on failed drug tests" -- Can't you just see Britney Spears at home with a cigarette in her hand watching the news and saying, "Thank God. As long as she keeps doing crazy stuff, those durn papar-- pa--- cameramen will keep leaving me alone. You GO grrlfriend!"

"Ashton Kutcher and Demi Moore are publicly affectionate" -- Still, her forehead didn't move a millimeter. So it was kinda hard to tell, actually.

"Portia de Rossi now officially named Portia DeGeneres" -- Well so much for THAT relationship.

"Nicole Richie and Joel Madden will reportedly marry in December" -- Or not. I heard they aren't planning kids until they can decide if marriage is for them.

"Team behind 'The Hobbit' issues casting call for short actors" -- Ben Stiller must be beside himself.

"Baz Luhrmann to turn 'Strictly Ballroom' into a stage musical" -- All I remember about that movie is the line, "I wanna dance the paso doble with Fran." Which means now that line will be in my head all day. I'm gonna have to find a way to work it into my next conference call.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | September 24, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | September 24, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

(Sorry for the double post. Didn't show up the first time. UGH.)

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | September 24, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

jhpurdy, I'm probably younger than you and I still can't forgive Eddie for running out on Debbie to be with Liz. Getting dumped for Richard was a turnabout of fair play.

Cameron Crowe must be a "Heartless" "Barracuda" and now Nancy Wilson wants to be "Alone." Now, we might ask "What About Love?" and wonder if they will ever get back together. "Never," says Nancy, who insisted on getting "Nothing At All" in the settlement, except sole custody of the "Dog and Butterfly."

Posted by: mdreader01 | September 24, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

I missed the chat yesterday but just read the transcript, and somebody asked which one of the lizards predicted LiLo would fall off the wagon before Labor Day.

It was me. :-)

Do I get a toaster oven?

Posted by: Californian11 | September 24, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

jhpurdy is right on the money re what a huge scandal the two Liz adulteries were at the time. The only thing comparable in recent times is the Aniston-Pitt-Jolie triangle. And yes, jhpurdy and mdreader, it was definitely karma when Liz dumped Fisher for Burton.

td

Heard an old clip of Carrie on NPR news this AM, in which she describes Eddie as having ADD when it came to love. Apparently Carrie and Debbie eventually came to side with Team Liz, rather than Team Eddie. Don't think Carrie has had any love for her father for decades (and I don't blame her).

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 24, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Danny Devito (5'0), Dudley Moore (5'2), Dustin Hoffman (5'5), Al Pacino (5'7), Tom Cruise (5'7), Robin Williams (5'8)are all on the short list for the Hobbit.

Posted by: kabuki3 | September 24, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

"Getting dumped for Richard was a turnabout of fair play"

Kinda like Billy Crudup-Claire Daines-Hugh Dancy. What comes around, goes around. Makes me wonder for whom Brad Pitt will ditch crazy Angelina. If he could find the time while juggling umpteen kids, that is.

Posted by: Californian11 | September 24, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Cali, do you think Brad's more likely ot ditch Angie, or vice versa?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 24, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Nosy, Carrie has a great flowchart of her parents' relationships in her book, "Wishful Drinking." Fun stuff.

Great short list, kabuki3! Since Dudley's dead, may we swap out Michael J. Fox (5' 4½")? I didn't realize Robin Williams was shortish too. The things you learn.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | September 24, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Martin Sheen is short, too.

Hmm, good question Nosy. History suggests Angie, and I predict with Johnny Depp, but that's almost too predictable. It'd be more shocking if it was Brad, although to give him credit he does seem like a really good dad and I doubt he'd leave those kids.

Posted by: Californian11 | September 24, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Cali, I agree that Brad *seems* to be a good dad to his kids. I hope Depp had sufficient strength of character to resist Angie's blandishments (should she have flaunted them).

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 24, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse