Posted at 7:07 AM ET, 09/ 8/2010

'Saturday Night Live' adds four cast members, loses Jenny Slate; Amy Poehler will host 'SNL' premiere; John Lennon's killer again denied parole

By Sarah Anne Hughes

Amy Poehler, right, will host the season premiere of "Saturday Night Live." I'm not sure who the other lady is. Tina...something. (Jae Hong - AP)

Wednesday

Celebrity Beat: Lady Gaga poses in a meat bikini (seriously) for Vogue Hommes Japan; in vegetarian-friendly Gaga news, Post music blog Click Track has a review of last night's show at the Verizon Center... A man convicted of stealing Kirsten Dunst's purse was sentenced to four years in prison... Former "Dancing With the Stars" contestant and "Reno 911" actress Niecy Nash is engaged... Mike Tyson regrets not smoking weed with the late rapper Tupac Shakur...Mark David Chapman, the man who shot and killed John Lennon in 1980, has been denied parole for the sixth time... Find out which '70s femme fatale you are... David Letterman and Barbara Walters compare heart surgeries on "The View"... Justin Bieber claims 3 percent of Twitter traffic...Oksana Grigorieva reportedly wants Mel Gibson to pay for her public relations agents.

Pop Culture: The cast of the 36th season of "Saturday Night Live" will feature four new members, while Jenny Slate and Will Forte will not return, The New York Times reports; Slate, a freshman cast member, notoriously dropped the f-bomb on the live show; as previously reported, the new cast members will be Taran Killam, Paul Brittain, Vanessa Bayer and newer addition Jay Pharoah; Pharoah, a Virginia native who will be the first African American cast member to join "SNL" since 2003, is known for his impression of President Obama; Amy Poehler will host the season premiere and Katy Perry will be the musical guest...This year's Kennedy Center Honorees were announced yesterday and will include Paul McCartney and Oprah... Liam Neeson joins Rihanna for "Battleship."

By Sarah Anne Hughes  | September 8, 2010; 7:07 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Angelina Jolie visits Pakistan, meets victims of the recent flood (Pictures)
Next: Jenny Slate leaves 'Saturday Night Live,' and we ask, what went wrong?

Comments

Sarah Anne, apparently you are the stuck-ee this week and doing a great job!

Not only do we have Lady Gaga in a meat bikini, but she also was in town. Not sure if the two go together, didn't see the show.

Wonder what else Mike Tyson regrets. Like not biting off other people's ears, or perhaps other body parts.

Mark David Chapman (no relation to Anna Chapman, aka Anna Kutchyakokoff) shot Lennon to gain attention. Apparently that's still working for him.

Speaking of Anna, I was sure my femme fatale would be Natasha from Rocky & Bullwinkle. Not so.

I wouldn't let Mel pick my PR agents. His own don't seem to be doing that well. Maybe its the material he gives them to work with.

With all due respect to Amy Poehler, I think SNL has finally jumped the shark. I know Liz Lemon, I mean Tina Fay, briefly resuscitated it during the 08 campaign, but it just a shadow of its former self.

Finally, Paul McCartney and Merle Haggard on the same bill. Exactly how is Sir Paul an outstanding American performer again?

Posted by: reddragon1 | September 8, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Sir Paul and Merle will probably be splitting a fatty spliff backstage.

If only they could get Willie Nelson to join in.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 8, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

David Letterman and Barbara Walters compare heart surgeries on "The View" -- Let's hope they weren't measuring chest scars on camera to see whose was longer.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 8, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Gaga meat bikini: that's enough to turn a person into a vegetarian and a one-piece bathing suit wearer.

Q.: Why four years for stealing Kirsten Dunst's purse?
A.: When judge considered the amount of pot that was in it, felony possession bumped up the term.

Niecy Nash engaged: that's gonna be some "mayhem and foolishness."

"Liam Neeson joins Rihanna for 'Battleship.'" This is going to make 'The A-Team' look like - well, like 'The A-team,' I guess.

Posted by: byoolin1 | September 8, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

David Letterman and Barbara Walters comparing heart surgeries still isn't as bad as the time they compared appendix scars. (How's that for your brain bleach image of the day?)

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | September 8, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Memo to Oksana Grigorieva: don't let the enemy control your propaganda campaign. Really, it's not that complex a concept.

Then again, I still don't understand the idea of a "Battleship" movie, so maybe I'm not in a position to be snarking on folks who can't grasp simple concepts.

Posted by: northgs | September 8, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Dear me, I misread "actress Niecy Nash is engaged... Mike Tyson" as "actress Niecy Nash is engaged TO Mike Tyson." Whew, sure am glad I was wrong on that one! Hmmm, I wonder what Niecy's first dance at the wedding reception will be? Any thoughts, fellow Lizards? (Keep it clean).

SNL trivia: Taran Killam is HIMYM's Cobie Smulder's Baby Daddy. Why do I recall these details , but can't remember uh, uh, uh... Oh, never mind, it'll come back to me later.

Lady Gaga poses in a meat bikini.

In an attempt to prove she's not just chopped liver, I presume.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 8, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

BTW, Sarah Ann, KenCen honorees Merle Haggard, Bill T. Jones and Jerry Herman aren't exactly chopped liver, either. It wouldn't have killed ya to name them as well.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 8, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Lady G needed some meat on her bones. So, is it Kobe? Where are my chopsticks...

I still don't get why the "f bomb" is such a big deal. "Suck" has mainstreamed and that's still illegal in 11 States. Everyone feels free to take the Lord's name in vain and that's one of the top ten no-no's.

Posted by: kabuki3 | September 8, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Note to Self: Do not read any more "Morning Mix" posts during lunch. Between GaGa's rump-roast wear and visions of celebrities' surgical scars....

"Niecy Nash is engaged" -- I know what you're thinking: Ooh Miss Niecy! How can I get engaged too! If you live in the southern California area....

"David Letterman and Barbara Walters compare heart surgeries on 'The View'" -- And then sang a lovely duet of "How Can You Mend a Broken Heart?" as Joy and the other ladies ate fettucini alfredo.

"Kennedy Center Honorees were announced yesterday and will include Paul McCartney and Oprah" -- Not sure which of my conflicting responses to this news are winning out. Among the contenders:

1) It's high time someone recognized those two with an award of some kind.
2) Kitty Kelley is so excited; she can now add an epilogue to "Oprah" just in time for the paperback.
3) One can't bring pot into Japan anymore and the other could buy Japan and keep it in a pot.
4) Will Sir Paul do a duet with Steadman of "The Girl Is Mine"?
5) You'd think that people would have had enough of silly award shows. I look around me and I see it isn't so.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | September 8, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Is Lady Gaga's meat bikini the successor to Carolyn Hax's bacon pants?

Nice ta-tas you got there, Amy Poehler.

SNL has become so f&*$ing lame. There, Lorne, I dropped the f-bomb. What are you f*%^ing gonna do?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | September 8, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

BKD possibly in formation over on the "Angelina Jolie condemns planned Koran burning" post. Karmadrome posted a brilliant riposte that deserves mention this weekend.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 8, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

a completely off topic comment to fellow lizards because i need your good wishes. frankie the wonder dog is seriously ill with kidney and liver issues. she literally became ill overnight. she'll be having a liver biopsy this week. she was in the vet hospital all last week and came home to us last friday. while we're feeding her via syringe, she's walking, alert, good humor, all in all, still frankie the wonder dog. but please, good thoughts her way. she's fighting the good fight. thank you.

Posted by: frieda406 | September 8, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Best wishes and good luck to Frankie.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | September 8, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Oh Frieda, I'm so sorry to learn of the illness of Frankie the Wonder Dog, who has brought comfort to so many patients (and their families) over the years. I know she's in good hands with you and your vet. Please keep us posted.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 8, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

All good wishes from me and my furkin for Frankie the wonder dog, please do keep us posted and know we're pulling for you.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | September 8, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse