Posted at 7:59 AM ET, 09/30/2010

Spencer Pratt debuts trailer for his first feature film

By Liz Kelly

You can't keep a good man down. Or, apparently a cheesy publicity hound like Spencer Pratt. It's almost endearing the way he just keeps pushing himself back into the spotlight. Even if that spotlight is his own YouTube channel. On Wednesday, Pratt debuted the trailer for his upcoming feature film, "Tower 69: Malibu Beach Patrol." And when I say "feature film" I mean something that will likely bypass both actual theaters and DVD release to go straight to the afore-mentioned Spencer Pratt YouTube channel. All snark aside, Pratt gets some props for actually producing something that doesn't look as if it was shot with his iPhone.

Warning: The trailer itself contains lots of NSFW language and shots of women jiggling around aimlessly in bikinis. But the more disturbing part is the intro, in which "Robber Baron Spencer Pratt" stares unblinking at the camera as he explains a contest tied to the movie's release. Best line in the trailer (which starts around minute 1:04): "You think this is a game? This is the beach!"

In other news this morning:

Hollywood legend Tony Curtis is dead at 85... Paris Hilton has landed a new reality show... "Glee's" Lea Michele (almost) takes it all off for photo shoot... Why is Michelle Rodriguez posing in front of a swastika flag?... Anna Nicole Smith's lawyer/boyfriend cleared of drug charges.

Chat Day: Join Jen and I at 2 p.m. ET for Celebritology Live.

By Liz Kelly  | September 30, 2010; 7:59 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Report: Comedian Greg Giraldo dead at 44
Next: Kaley Cuoco and Johnny Galecki of 'Big Bang Theory': Secret lovers?

Comments

Anything staring, uh, I mean having Paris Hilton in it should be terms an unreality show.

Can ANS just go away? It is worse than hearing about LiLo.

Personal to Byoo, How did I get to be first today?

Posted by: elias_howe | September 30, 2010 8:09 AM | Report abuse

Elias, you're first because after I was done enjoying your "Group W bench" reference in the Arthur Hill piece, I came here and was flabbergasted to read that Tony Curtis died and Liz Kelly BURIED THE LEDE by putting Spencer Pratt first.

Liz, you may be rusty from your time off, but you can't let that Pratt a**hat precede someone of Tony Curtis' stature.

Posted by: byoolin1 | September 30, 2010 8:25 AM | Report abuse

"Why is Michelle Rodriguez posing in front of a swastika flag?"

Being unable to get to the link from here, I'm left guessing: she finally got that long-awaited promotion to Hufbeschlaglehrmeister.

Posted by: byoolin1 | September 30, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Tony Curtis, the guy with the Bronx accent in, as Alicia Silverstone once called it, "Sporadicus." RIP Tony.

Robert Wagner had a great story in his autobiography telling about how Yvonne de Carlo picked them both up at a drive-in restaurant using the same tactics. (On separate occasions, I mean. They weren't together with her....)

He and Robert Urich are now together in that Vega$ in the sky.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | September 30, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

I'm w/byoolin, Tony Curtis deserves much better placement than after Pratt.

In fact, we could've done w/out the Pratt story all together.

Come to think of it, we could do nicely without him in general. Doesn't he have some stalker that could take him outta commission? If Palin, Paris, Dave Letterman, etc. can have a stalker why can't Spencer?

Maybe we should put an ad out on Craigslist, "Wanted -one mentally unstable female to stalk Spencer Pratt & with potential for grievous bodily harm. Bonus points for taking out Heidi while you're at it!"

Posted by: wadejg | September 30, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

"'Glee's' Lea Michele (almost) takes it all off for photo shoot" -- Put it back on, Lea.

"Why is Michelle Rodriguez posing in front of a swastika flag" -- Don't tell me. Remake of that horrible Melanie Griffith movie, "Shining Through" but with an actress in the lead this time?

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | September 30, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Byoo and you are correct about the lede.

Note to wadejg: Craig's List cut out those type of adult starker for hire personals recently. Yea, I know, if Craig had just waited another 2 weeks to take care of the Spencer situation.

Posted by: elias_howe | September 30, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

His eyes frighten me. I question his grip on reality.

Posted by: DCCubefarm | September 30, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Liz, I can't beleive elias and byoo missed this. "women jiggling around aimlessly in bikinis," you mean you can AIM those things?

Posted by: reddragon1 | September 30, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

C'mon, WaPo, the New York Times put Tony Curtis on the front page. This is an insult.

Posted by: ras4q | September 30, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Liz/Jen I have to say I agree with Byoo and I am rapidly leaning towards bailing on Celebritology. I can't keep up with the multiple postings and am losing my desire to want to.

It reminds me of college. My friend's boyfriend was in prison (supposedly for joy riding one too many times). He asked me to be a pen pal and I agreed. So I would send him a letter and he'd respond with a letter, and then he'd write another letter and another letter, til his letters were daily. I felt so guilty that I couldn't keep up that I simply stopped writing him all together. I am about there with the blog.

Not to be a curmudgeon - aww which just makes me realize I miss mudge :(

Posted by: LTL1 | September 30, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

From the Lea Michelle article:

"And as ironies go, Lea, 24, said life has imitated art for her by landing the role and she is actually a lot more like her character than some people would think."

Oh, we believe you, Lea. We believe.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 30, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

I second byoolin and wadejg's view that Tony Curtis's death is far bigger news than Spencer Pratt ever will be. Heck, to invoke jezebel, Tony Curtis farting would've been bigger news than anything about the prat.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 30, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

byoolin, it was Arthur PENN who just died. I believe Arthur Hill is still dead, too.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 30, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

--------------------------

Reddragon,

Perhaps you have not seen Katie Perry's whipped cream delight in "California Gurls"?

On an possibly unrelated note, Mrs. Howe recently cut the internet connection to ole Elias's basement lab. Mrs. Howe was mumbling, "NSFL, Elias, NSFL."

Posted by: elias_howe | September 30, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Nosy,

Yea but what about the Lindeberg baby?

Posted by: elias_howe | September 30, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

elias,
Speaking of "women jiggling around aimlessly in bikinis," does your house get the Lingerie Football League?

You gotta love the nickname for the Bawlmer franchise.

Posted by: yellojkt | September 30, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

I agree with the others on keeping up, too much of a good thing is still too much.

I'm not sure most of the posts even deserve their own post. Half the time there aren't any responses to them.

Posted by: wadejg | September 30, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

yellojkt, hon

The cable TV connection in the lab seems to be on the fritz also!

Posted by: elias_howe | September 30, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Nosy - yes, it was Penn. I got mixed up because the obit mentioned his middle name, Hiller. So Arthur Hiller Penn became Arthur Hill.

Makes me wonder what happened to, er, Penn.

Reddragon, I always that thought women could "aim those things." How else to explain why they're always RIGHT WHERE I AM STARING?

Posted by: byoolin1 | September 30, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

A little clarification: Of course Tony Curtist trumps Spencer Pratt -- alive or dead.

I didn't lead the blog this morning with Tony Curtis because washingtonpost.com already had a fully written Tony Curtis obit, photo gallery and video featured on the home page. So it seemed like jumping on that train after it was already out of the station.

We are revisiting the idea of restoring the Morning Mix to its former format, tho. So stay tuned.

As for the amount of posts -- we just figure there's more of us to love.

Posted by: Liz Kelly | September 30, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

The main argument for the morning mix IMHO is illustrated by this post, which is a shortish version of a morning mix and which has far and away the most comments of today's posts--Morning Mix is pretty much where island residents gather to comment, and randomly commenting on a bunch of stories isn't really conducive to gathering.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | September 30, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

"Joel Grey returns to Broadway in 'Anything Goes'":

Baby's real-life daddy isn't exactly gathering dust yet.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | September 30, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse