Posted at 11:31 AM ET, 10/21/2010

Going viral: Actor Gordon Pinsent reads Justin Bieber's memoir

By Liz Kelly

(Courtesy HarperCollins)

Because we know you, like us, can't get enough Justin Bieber, we feel compelled to remind you that the 16-year-old mega-pop phenom published what will doubtless be only the first of many volumes of his memoirs this month.

"Justin Bieber: First Step 2 Forever" chronicles the Bieb's rise from obscurity (aka Canada) to the top of the pop charts. Yours truly downloaded it to iBooks, purely for research purposes. I didn't at all take to heart the special message from Justin:

Every one of you is "My Favorite Girl" for a different reason because each of you is special in your own way. Everywhere I go, whatever I do, I try to connect with as many of you as possible. If you're up front at a concert, I might reach out and hold your hand. If you show up outside the arena after a show, you might get soaked in one of our epic water fights. You might just be talking to your friends on Twitter saying you have a one-in-a-million chance of reaching me and now I'm following you.

Well, I am special in my own way. That much is true. And the book is chock-full of quotables.

Much more, including the video, after the jump.

The nuggets include everything from an explanation of hockey rink procedure:

A Zamboni is that huge tank-like thing they drive around to even out the ice during halftime at a hockey game. It melts the top layer, which almost immediately refreezes as smooth as glass. But I can't believe I have to describe what a Zamboni is. It's like describing something you've known since the day you were born.

To geography:

If you're looking at a map of North America, you'll see that Ontario is that little triangle of Canada that cuts down into the Great Lakes between New York and Michigan.

To Bieber family traditions:

We all have Christmas dinner and I'm telling you, my grandma puts up an awesome Christmas dinner. Turkey and gravy.

Now video of Canadian actor Gordon Pinsent (who you may recall from 2006's "Away From Her") reading passages from the book on Canadian sketch show "This Hour Has 22 Minutes" has gone viral:

My favorite line: "Singers aren't supposed to have dairy before a show, but we all know I'm a rule-breaker."

Well done, eh?

By Liz Kelly  | October 21, 2010; 11:31 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Justin Bieber
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Michael Lohan says he's done talking about Lindsay; Alec Baldwin speaks out for gay marriage
Next: 'Glee' cast members react to GQ kerfuffle

Comments

Love it. I think all celebrity bios should be read out loud like this, tbough BEFORE they're considered for publication.

"My first date has been mythologized." -- I don't think that word means what Justin thinks it means.

As for the post: "The Bieb's rise from obscurity (aka Canada) to the top of the pop charts" -- Oh no you didn't! Diss Canada? Expecting a Comment from byoolin in 5.... 4.... 3....

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | October 21, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I know! I can't believe byoo hasn't already jumped in. He must be busy riding a Zamboni or drinking a Molson or something.

Posted by: Liz Kelly | October 21, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

"He must be busy riding a Zamboni or drinking a Molson or something."

First: "or"?

Second: I'll have you know I was very busy on a conference call doing important work stuff.

Third: Yes, that second one is unbelievable. I was actually writing a letter to Bob Guccione about the time I was driving a Zamboni and drinking a Molson when this figure skater...

Gordon Pinsent is one of those icons of Canadiana that we love and few Americans know - like Al Waxman, Bruno Gerussi, or Bobby Orr. You Americans might know him from roles in the original version of The Thomas Crown Affair (in which he played Steve McQueen), or Blacula (title character).

Posted by: byoolin1 | October 21, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Errata:

In The Thomas Crown Affair, Gordon Pinsent played the role of Jamie McDonald.

In Blacula, he portrayed Lt. Peters.

Posted by: byoolin1 | October 21, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

The Zamboni, incidentally, was invented in California. Not that it's ever done the Kings (or the Oakland Seals, for that matter) any good.

Posted by: byoolin1 | October 21, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

I believe we've just discovered that Justin Bieber, wherever he might be from (perhaps the Planet Zutron?), is not from Canada. There is not a Canadian born who would refer to "halftime" at a hockey game, since a hockey game has three periods, rather than two halves, and those Zamboni breaks are called "intermissions" or referred to as "between periods."

Posted by: TheNorthWing | October 21, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Good catch, TNW.

I suppose it's possible that the Biebster was translating Canadianese for his audience. You know, like telling your American friends you once "walked home two miles" (3km) after sticking your tongue to a post because that's what happens when it's "fifteen below" (-15C)."

Posted by: byoolin1 | October 21, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse