Posted at 3:11 PM ET, 10/19/2010

Is Taylor Swift's 'Dear John' about John Mayer?

By Liz Kelly

Taylor Swift. (AP)

Mark Twain may have waited 100 years to publish his autobiography in the hopes of avoiding any hurt feelings. Taylor Swift, however, admits that most of the songs on her new album were inspired her own relationship ups and downs.

Speculation is running high that one song in particular, "Dear John," is about John Mayer -- 33-year-old singer, ex-Twitter addict, Jennifer Aniston/Jessica Simpson dumper, sometime Swift collaborator and rumored erstwhile boyfriend of the now 20-year-old. The lyrics (read them all after the jump) include some blunt questions -- "Don't you think I was too young/To be messed with" and "Don't you think nineteen's too young/To be played/By your dark, twisted games." -- that may be of particular interest to Mayer and his string of exes.

When Swift was asked an equally blunt question -- is the song about Mayer? -- by People magazine, she avoided a direct answer.

"A lot of times when people's relationships end, they write an e-mail to that person and say everything that they wish they would have said," Swift told People. "A lot of times they don't push send. This was a tough one to write and I guess putting it on the album was pushing send."

Source: People, New York Daily News

Dear John
I see it all now that you're gone
Don't you think I was too young
To be messed with
The girl in the dress
Cried the whole way home
I should've known

It was wrong
Don't you think nineteen's too young
To be played
By your dark, twisted games
When I loved you so

My mother accused me of losing my mind
But I swore I was fine

You'll add my name to your long list of traitors who don't understand
And I'll look back in regret I ignored what they said
Run as fast as you can

By Liz Kelly  | October 19, 2010; 3:11 PM ET
Categories:  Celebrities
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tom Bosley of 'Happy Days' fame has died
Next: The cast of 'Glee': Too racy in GQ?

Comments

Those aren't "all" the lyrics of Dear John. Those are just the ones I excerpted in my Yahoo piece. No one should mistake that for the whole song.

Posted by: ChrisWillman | October 19, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, but "You're So Vain" it ain't.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | October 19, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Meet Other Singles in a Fun Relaxed Setting. Join the Club Now http://bit.ly/awhBi8

Posted by: jeremyrenner18 | October 20, 2010 3:18 AM | Report abuse

Hell hath no wrath like that of a woman rejected. So Mayer dumped her butt.
The Jonas dude dumped her too as did the other fellow.
She sounds like a ME ME ME person.
Time to grow up.

Posted by: Stethor2000 | October 20, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Who cares?

Posted by: bigbrother1 | October 24, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

When will all of these talented but gullible female entertainers learn that John Mayer is just a pretty boy and a user of women? And I thought only men were shallow.

Posted by: menemeroff | October 24, 2010 7:29 PM | Report abuse