Posted at 11:19 AM ET, 10/ 4/2010

Jake Gyllenhaal's new beard: Yay(!) or Nay?

By Liz Kelly

Jake Gyllenhaal at Sunday's 2010 New Yorker Festival. (Getty Images)

Jake Gyllenhaal -- aka "Donnie Darko," aka FOLAAMM (Friend of Lance Armstrong and Matthew McConaughey) is sporting a new beard. Stop that. I mean the beard pictured in the photo above. After the stringy "Prince of Persia" 'do, this is a welcome change. The guy is definitely capable of growing a healthy crop of facial hair, but is this a little too "Mr. French?" You decide. Your mission today, should you choose to accept it, is to vote in our Jake Gyllenhaal beard poll.

By Liz Kelly  | October 4, 2010; 11:19 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Insta-Polls
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Strutting Leo DiCaprio meme hits warp speed
Next: Justin Timberlake: Flashback to some unfortunate, pre-'Social Network' photos

Comments

Do you know the reason he grew the beard (of the facial hair variety)? If it was for a movie role, that would have swayed my voting. I voted "a little too much".

Posted by: JLRGG | October 4, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

He looks like a real life version of Kris Kringle from the old "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" movie, you know the 1970's version on tv every year.

Posted by: Dea25 | October 4, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Where is the "I don't care" voting button?

Posted by: elias_howe | October 4, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Ack no. If he is trying to look more manly, that would be an EPIC FAIL.

Posted by: epjd | October 4, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dea25

*****************************

EXACTLY!!

But I like it.

Posted by: wadejg | October 4, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

I agree with the young Kris Kringle observation. Think he could pull off a scruffy beard (3 days worth of growth) or maybe something neatly trimmed, but I think this just looks a bit silly.

Posted by: changling | October 4, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Bah! Too few people appreciate a man with a fine, full beard. Rock on, Jake.

Posted by: DCCubefarm | October 4, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

We have a bearded Jake Gyllenhaal and no Lonely Island references yet?

Posted by: thurdl01 | October 4, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone think he has a sorta crazypants look in his eyes; like a young Rasputin contemplating how to con the Czarina?

Posted by: madams712 | October 4, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry. I see 'Jake Gyllenhaal' and 'beard' in the same headline and 'facial hair' is the last connection I make.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 4, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

I love the face scruff and think Jake pulls it off with his usual sexiness. Talent and sexiness all in one package...rock on, Jake!

Also, there is a lot of immaturity about sexuality in our society and this post sure shows why. Grow up Liz Kelly and all the others here who think they know something from gossip rags that they don't.

Posted by: Metome1 | October 4, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I don't see the above as immaturity on Liz' part. What confusion there is may be caused by the not uncommon situation of closely associating the actor with the role he is best known for.

I do like the Young Rasputin refernce. People said a lot of things about him that were not true also.

Posted by: reddragon1 | October 4, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Jake, Bro, what is up? Are you making or re-making the Charles Manson story? Shave, bro. Please. Spooky.

Posted by: LarryUkolowicz | October 7, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse