Posted at 2:39 PM ET, 10/ 1/2010

J.K. Rowling tells Oprah Winfrey she 'could' write more Harry Potter books. But should she?

By Jen Chaney

J.K. Rowling and Oprah Winfrey. (Harpo Productions via AP)

In an interview scheduled to air today on "The Oprah Winfrey Show," J.K. Rowling tells the Queen of All Media that she "could definitely" write more books in the Harry Potter series.

She doesn't say she will, mind you, just that it's possible. Which is a big deal to Leaky Cauldron lurkers since, in the past, Rowling has insisted that "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" marked the definitive end to the story of the Boy Who Lived. While speaking with a British filmmaker for a 2007 Rowling documentary that aired on ABC in 2009, she made that point clear.

"I think no, it's definitely time to stop, it's time to stop now," said Rowling. "It gives me a certain satisfaction to say what I thought happened, and to tell other people that, because I would like my version to be the official version still, even though I've not written it in a book. 'Cause it's my world. But no, I don't want to write anymore Hogwarts books."

But now she's saying something a little different.

According to an Associated Press story that appeared in advance of today's interview, Rowling says, "I'm not going to say I won't" write another Potter story.

Clearly that doesn't mean anyone needs to start placing advance orders on Amazon. Still, it opens a door. But should that door stay closed?

The series came to a definitive, largely satisfying conclusion back in 2007. And Warner Bros. has managed to wring eight movies out of the seven novels, making "Potter" the most lucrative movie franchise in history.

Is there anything left to accomplish, or more important, to say about any of the characters? Vote in the poll below and tell us what you think.

By Jen Chaney  | October 1, 2010; 2:39 PM ET
Categories:  Books, Oprah Winfrey, Pop Culture
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The eight horror movies most likely to wreck a childhood
Next: 'A-Team' creator Stephen J. Cannell dead

Comments

She invented a whole world, so it is entirely possible to write stories in that world that don't directly involve Harry Potter & co.

She's already touched on so many "prequel" events leading to Voldemort's return and re-rise to power, so the most likely candidate would be to tell his first rise to power.

Posted by: DCCubefarm | October 1, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Robert Heinlein started writing as a way to pay off his mortgage. Once that was done, he said he would quit writing. A friend asked him if he knew any retired writers.

A writer writes. That's what they do. Might as well work what you know.

As yes, I would buy any other Hogwarts books.

Posted by: epjd | October 1, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Conversely, DCCubefarm, she could also move forward with the next generation of witches and wizards:

James, Albus and Lily Potter growing up in their famous father's shadow;
Rose and Hugo Weasley, the perfect combinations of Ron and Hermione;
Scorpius Malfoy - the third generation (who so obviously must end up with either Lily Potter or Rose Weasely);
Teddy Lupin, the wild child orphan;
Victoire Weasley (is she the daughter of Fleur and Bill?);
Professor Longbottom teaching Herbology;
Percy Weasley as the perfectionist Hogwarts administrator;
etc., etc., etc.

The possibilities are endless . . .

Posted by: pfallsgirl | October 1, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Retired writers...well put.

Yup, if she wrote another book, I'd buy it. You know she has to have ideas about what happened to their lives, or other little gaps she can fill in.

Even Jane Austen wrote about the future lives of the Darcys, the Bennets, et al., in one of her letters. I think when you create a universe for these characters and spend years bridging the divide to write about that world, it would be hard to turn it off. And I can also see that she would have a need to be left alone about the books for a little while, too.

Posted by: rachelt2 | October 1, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

I would LOVE to see a series done based on the beginnings of Hogwarts, focusing on the individuals for whom the Houses are named. I would eat those right up!

Posted by: birdgirl39 | October 1, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

No, no, no, no, no!

Yes, J.K. is an amazingly talented writer, perhaps even a creative genius, but she needs to let this fabulous series rest. She's been very, very lucky to have done so well with seven books when even George Lucas could only wrap up three solid scripts; why push it? She shouldn't.

Rowling has done something unique with the Harry Potter series by creating a body of literature that not only appeals to young and old, but also by crafting characters and plots that truly mature along the way. It it soooo hard for me to say this because a part of me still craves more, but she should let the Potter series stay where it is while she--and Harry--still holds the respect of so many.

Besides, I suspect that she may have another world altogether to introduce to us.

Posted by: EdgewoodVA | October 1, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Before J. K. Rowling starts down the George Lucas Stars Wars Highway, she would do well to contemplate the meaning of Robert Frost's "The Road Not Taken."

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | October 1, 2010 11:48 PM | Report abuse

I still want to know if Harry became an auror or not. I want to know if Arthur and Molly could ever overcome their financial difficulties. So many questions remain.

One comment: "Warner Bros. has managed to wring eight movies out of the seven novels." While I can (barely) see Hallows as one movie (two is better), the film scripts excluded numerous important, exciting scenes from at least books 4-6. Certainly Goblet, Order, and Prince could easily have made four-hour (or two two-hour) films. It's hardly "wringing out" eight films when producers chose not to represent so much material from the books.

Posted by: ExPat2 | October 2, 2010 2:33 AM | Report abuse

Expecto Perpetuatum!

Posted by: labman57 | October 2, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

I'm just gonna repeat this person's post

Posted by: Potter2 | October 3, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

My daughter would say yes, yes, yes, but after just finishing #7, I think it was ended perfectly and that should be it. However, I think she could base a second series based in part on the Harry Potter series and that would be fine. Maybe she could answer some of those questions about what Harry, et al, became, but the new series should be fresh.

Posted by: bcaputo | October 4, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

The idea of there possibly being more Harry Potter books, even as someone said, some written about the magical world they inhabit, would be AMAZING!!! Oh man, why'd she have to make such a hint?? :(

Posted by: sigmagrrl | October 4, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

One of the things that impressed me about the "Harry Potter" series, when all was said and done, was the comprehensive story Rowling clearly had in mind from the first page of the first book. The success of the series gave her time to tell the story and to create a rich world along the way, but at its heart that series was all about her central tale.

That tale has now been (very well and very satisfyingly) told. But the world she created is still there. Revisiting that world, just for the sake of revisiting it, is bound to disappoint. But I thought her writing got better as she went on, so I'd look forward to whatever she chose to put out next. And, in my humble Muggle opinion, if she's got another story to tell that involves the "Harry Potter" world that she created, regardless of whether that story is more about the characters we know or about something new, by all means, tell the tale.

Posted by: dcpost1 | October 4, 2010 7:47 PM | Report abuse

She should keep writing, but create a whole new series that has nothing to do with the Harry Potter world. She obviously has an active imagination. Start a new franchise, Ms. Rowling, maybe this time with a girl as the protagonist.

Posted by: Pupster | October 5, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse