Posted at 7:47 AM ET, 10/ 1/2010

Justin Timberlake and Jimmy Fallon break down the history of rap

By Liz Kelly

Justin Timberlake may be concentrating on his acting game lately as he hops from talk show to talk show promoting his new movie, "The Social Network," which opens in theaters today. (Jen wrote about it earlier this week.) But on Wednesday's "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon" Timberlake reminded us that he's all kinds of musically gifted, too. Timberlake and Fallon teamed up to perform "The History of Rap" and, almost 48 hours later, the clip is going viral.

So whether you're a Timberlake fan, a Fallon fan or (like me) a lifelong rap aficionado, enjoy:

Reminder: This isn't Timberlake's first musical collaboration with an "SNL" cast member. He and Andy Samberg made comedy history in 2006 with the incomparable "[Expletive] in a Box."

By Liz Kelly  | October 1, 2010; 7:47 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A Q&A with Kodi Smit-McPhee, star of 'Let Me In'
Next: 'Paranormal Activity 2': New trailer and new viral shenanigans

Comments

Nothing says 'end of an era' like two painfully white guys getting jiggy. This is worse than Pat Boone covering Metallica.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 1, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

It's no "Barry Gibb Talk Show", but as a hip-hop and music fan in general, I was entertained.

Posted by: luvlydawter | October 1, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

I can't speak to the quality of the video (stupid non-flash browser) but I will say that Timbo is rapidly becoming one of my favorite people, and it is directly linked to all those appearances on SNL. Did you all see the sketch last Saturday based on "Actor's Studio"? Awesome.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | October 1, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

yellojkt,

Lighten up. It's a comedy sketch. Btw - Pat Boone covering Metallica would be hilarious.

Posted by: 3rdWay | October 1, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

I thought it was great--not focusing on their ability to rap, or strength in singing, but for the comedic and mood lifting qualities. I have watched it several times and each instance, the sketch has made me smile.

Posted by: k1omal | October 1, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Looks like my comment got didn't get past the censors. I said, rap began (and should have ended) with the Last Poets back in the 60's when they recorded "Wake up N***ers"

Posted by: kabuki3 | October 1, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

These guys are so funny together and have such a good heart for entertaining. They are just having a good time and don't care how silly they look. They did a great job taking us down memory lane. I didn't even realize how much I loved the older songs in particular. Now I'm gonna go listen to the Sugarhill Gang.

Why I like Fallon: He's the only late-night host who just wants to make people happy and has no snark or meanness to him at all. There will never be another Johnny Carson but Fallon is the closest thing in spirit. He's a decent guy who's fun to hang with. And he's always funny when he does his song mimic stuff. His Neil Young ane Barry Gibb are spot on.

Posted by: sowhirlygirly | October 1, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse