Posted at 9:13 AM ET, 10/22/2010

Lindsay Lohan due in court; Colin Farrell to star in 'Total Recall' remake?

By Liz Kelly and Jen Chaney

Lindsay Lohan cries in court back in July. (AP)

Lindsay Lohan is due in court again today for a probation violation hearing. And despite spending the last several weeks rehabbing at the Betty Ford Center, TMZ is reporting that the L.A. County Probation Department is still pushing for LiLo to spend 30 days behind bars for failing a drug test. In September, Lohan was taken into custody and spent a few hours in jail after testing positive for cocaine. Lohan is due in court at 8:30 a.m. PST. We'll be watching. [TMZ]

Celebrity Beat: Clint Eastwood not a fan of President Obama... Billy Ray Cyrus approves of racy "Glee" pix... Did Kanye West really have his teeth replaced with diamonds?... Speaking of bling, Kim Kardashian to celebrate birthday with million-dollar diamond-encrusted cake... Scarlett Johansson shows off new bobbed 'do... Pam Anderson strips for Playboy (again)... From the Guardian: The sad tale of Jennifer Aniston's depressed dog... From Best Week Ever: It's a Snooki dance GIF party!

Rumor Mill: I can't keep up with Kat Von D, who is apparently now back with Nikki Sixx... "Sister Wife" No. 2 was apparently married to wife No. 1's brother first... Kelly Osbourne planning to launch her own fashion line... Missy Elliott reportedly marries longtime girlfriend.

Pop Culture Mix: Colin Farrell might play the Arnold Schwarzenegger role in remake of "Total Recall"... Johnny Depp looking to remake "The Thin Man," with Rob Marshall directing... Jeremy Davies (otherwise known as time travel expert Daniel Faraday of "Lost" fame) will join cast of FX's "Justified."

By Liz Kelly and Jen Chaney  | October 22, 2010; 9:13 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Martin Freeman cast as Bilbo Baggins in 'The Hobbit'
Next: Judge orders Lindsay Lohan back to rehab

Comments

I don't care about Total Recall, but they can't even leave the Thin Man alone? boo.

Posted by: sarahabc | October 22, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Another day, another celeb launching a fashion line.

Oh Pammy. Have you no dignity?

Does anyone listen to Billy Ray "No Morals" Cyrus, given the behavior of his own pole-dancing-before-they're-old-enough-to-drive offspring?

Posted by: Californian11 | October 22, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Cali-

Oh Pammy. Have you no dignity?

************************************************

We'll just let Tommy Lee, Rick Saloman, and Kid Rock answer that.

You know what Clint, you became no longer relevant to me when you stopped making movies with monkey sidekicks. (By the way, substituting a monkey for Hilary Swank would've made Million Dollar Baby so much better).

Well, if they are going to make me remember Total Recall, at least they'll only charge me wholesale.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | October 22, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

"Clint Eastwood not a fan of President Obama" -- President Obama replied that at the age of 49, he'd rather run the country than doing what Clint was at this age, namely, co-starring with orangutans.

"Billy Ray Cyrus approves of racy 'Glee' pix" -- As we speak, Miley and Annie Lebowitz are heading to the nearest high school locker room armed with nothing but pom-poms and a Nikon D70.

"Kim Kardashian to celebrate birthday with million-dollar diamond-encrusted cake" -- Entire countries weep at the amount of their total GDP being spent.

"Scarlett Johansson shows off new bobbed 'do" -- That's a bob? She like she was attacked by a dull Flobee. Was this the finished cut?

"'Sister Wife' No. 2 was apparently married to wife No. 1's brother first" -- And each child is required to learn how to map the family tree before diagramming sentences. And re-map it each time a new wife comes along.

From the Jennifer Aniston/depressed dog story: "He came back dazed and lacklustre," is all Now will say, "and often doesn't seem to recognise her."

The same could be said for anyone who sat through "Marley & Me," "The Bounty Hunter" and "The Break-Up."

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | October 22, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

As I was blowing up those Lea Michelle pictures yesterday to see what there was to see, I thought to myself, "Self, do you who would like these pictures? I bet Billy Ray Cyrus would like these pictures."

So Kanye literally has rocks in his head. And, we therefore infer, figuratively too.

If Kanye has a piece of KimKar's Kake, the inside of his mouth will be shredded.

"Pam Anderson strips for Playboy (again)." I hear she's got one of their photogs on retainer.

The sad tale of Jennifer Aniston's depressed dog: "I'm going to end up like Marley, aren't I? (I mean, in a crappy movie with you and Owen Wilson.) Jesus, just put me down already."

""Sister Wife" No. 2 was apparently married to wife No. 1's brother first." I don't know what this sentence means, exactly, but I used to hear a lot of similar things when I lived in WV.

"Kelly Osbourne planning to launch her own fashion line." Best idea since "The Ozzy Osbourne School Of Elocution."

Colin Farrell might play the Arnold Schwarzenegger role in remake of "Total Recall". Provisional title: "I Can Remake It For You Wholesale."

Posted by: byoolin1 | October 22, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

I hope after they finish with the remake of Total Recall they will get started with remakes of some of Arnold's other classics: Last Action Hero, End of Days, and of course, Kindergarten Cop.

Posted by: MStreet1 | October 22, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Dorkus, on behalf of TD and myself, sorry for stepping all over your post. This is what happens when we don't F5 before posting, I guess.

Posted by: byoolin1 | October 22, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

"The Thin Man" has already been remade once as a TV series in the late '50s, starring Peter Lawford and Phyllis Kirk as Nick and Nora. Lawford did "urbane" quite well.
(Just noticed that Jack Albertson appeared in about 1/4 of the epis).

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | October 22, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Actual consequences for Lilo? I'll believe that when I see it.

My info is that Clint is not a fan of any politician.

I am sure glad Billy Ray approves the Glee pix. All the fathers in Ammerica can now rest easy.

Producer Paul we need more pix of ScarJo to compare her hair. Hair, yeah, that's the ticket.

Just change the name of the mag to "Playgrandpa" and be done with it.

I can't see it, but I still assume it should be a "Snooki dance GAF party."

I think Depp might actually be a pretty good "Thin Man."

td, either change your spellings to American, or your name to "td_in_toronto"

Posted by: reddragon1 | October 22, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

byoolin don't worry about it. I figure we were all distracted thinking the ScarJo headline said "boobed" cut. Granted I wasn't sure what that meant, but I saw the words Sacrlett Johansson and boob and definitely clicked the link.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | October 22, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

P.S. Noticed that Dashiell Hammett got writing credit for all 72 epis of the TV series. Imagine this would've been a real help to him financially after the hard times of Hollywood black-listing during the McCarthy Era.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | October 22, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

After showing up at a London elementary school in full Jack Sparrow regalia, perhaps Johnny Depp as Nick Charles could next show up for cocktails at the Lizard Island Tiki Bar.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | October 22, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Tough crowd today. I echo byoolin's apology to Dorkus and also thought it said "boobed" cut at first. Aboot your comment, reddragon1, I have no plans to mouve tou Canada (though as handles go, td_in_toronto does sound amasing).

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | October 22, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

And colourful.

Posted by: Californian11 | October 22, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

What is this, International Talk Like a Canadian D'eh?

Posted by: MStreet1 | October 22, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

I second Nosy's suggestion. All we need is a cute little moppet to pen the screed inviting him.

Posted by: epjd | October 22, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

ep
All we need is a cute little moppet to pen the screed inviting him.

I nominate Dorkus.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | October 22, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

I wonder what Billy Ray will think of the Pam Anderson "spread"...

Do you think he'll issue a press release for that too?

Posted by: anonymouslurker | October 22, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

I retract it, Dorkus.

I hereby nominate Baby Des to dictate a letter to his Mommy inviting Johnny Depp to Lizard Island.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | October 22, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

And little lurker! :-)

Posted by: Californian11 | October 22, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Ooooo Johnny will be a perfect Nick, who would be the perfect Nora?

As long as Asta isn't a talking CGI'd mutt.

I LOVELOVELOVE those Nick & Nora Thin Man movies, even as a kid. I mean how could you NOT love a couple that has a bar in their MBR & have cocktails before their feet hit the floor? Nora in her elegant peignoirs, Nick in his smoking jacket & slippers.

Posted by: wadejg | October 22, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

wadejg, I'm hoping the new Nick and Nora have a historical setting. I just can't see them in a world that includes Lilo, Snooki, and Pammy.

Posted by: reddragon1 | October 22, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

reddragon, I like your thinking re a period setting for a "Thin Man" remake.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | October 22, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

reddragon, I like your thinking re a period setting for a "Thin Man" remake.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | October 22, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

I agree that a period setting would be better--it's tough to pull off urbane and sophisticated in our cynical present. However, based on Hollywood Studio Standard Practices, I give it about 5% chance of being period. And I'm sure Depp can pull Nick off. Nora? Kate Beckinsale maybe?

Also read the scarjo bit as boobed--you guys are a bad influence.

I'm so sad I have to wait until February for the return of Justified. I need my Timothy Olyphant fix.

The only movie I can think of recently that was half decent that had JenAnn in the cast was "He's Just Not That Into You" where she was one of a cast of dozens and has, probably, a cumulative screen time of 5 minutes. Every other movie she's done has completely blown. I had the terrible misfortune to land for mere seconds on "Love Happens" on cable the other day (saw Aaron Eckhart, paused curiously, then she came on screen, uttered one line and I had to flee through the stations). Why they keep casting her in anything is completely beyond me.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | October 22, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

cat, with the success of "Mad Men," perhaps "The Thin Man" could be convincingly set during the JFK administration (early '60s), what with Jackie's sartorial influence (not to mention Audrey Hepburn in the contemporaneous "Breakfast at Tiffany's").

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | October 22, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | October 22, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Mad Men is tv--totally different attitude by studios. You're right that Thin Man could convincingly be set either in its original time or the 60s, but the feeling is that moviegoers just don't "do" period pieces (unless it's like a big pirate extravaganza) that much. There are exceptions, of course, but the general rule is "no period pieces". And even Johnny is no guarantee to overcome that (see the disappointing results from "Public Enemies"). Seems to me every time they haul out a remake they're intent on "updating" it to the present. But we can hope, I suppose!

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | October 22, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Cat, wouldn't you call "Goodnight and Good Luck" a period piece? And aren't movies about past wars, too?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | October 22, 2010 9:22 PM | Report abuse