Posted at 8:15 AM ET, 10/22/2010

Mel Gibson dumped from "Hangover 2" cameo after complaints from Zach Galifianakis, among others

By Liz Kelly

No more 'Hangover' for Mel Gibson. (AP)

It turns out there are some things even too offensive for a movie like "The Hangover." Convicted rapist Mike Tyson? Fine. Convicted drunk driver, sometime anti-Semite, racist and recorded hothead Mel Gibson? Not fine.

Gibson won't be appearing in "Hangover 2" after complaints from the cast and crew -- including co-star Zach Galifianakis -- scuttled director Todd Phillips's plans to feature Gibson in a cameo as a Bangkok tattoo artist. Phillips released this statement:

"I thought Mel would have been great in the movie and I had the full backing of [Warner Bros. Pictures President] Jeff Robinov and his team. But I realize filmmaking is a collaborative effort, and this decision ultimately did not have the full support of my entire cast and crew."

Despite Jodie Foster's recent assertion that Gibson is the "most-loved man in Hollywood," the "Hangover 2" cast and crew apparently didn't get the memo. In a recent interview during a Comedy Death-Ray podcast, Galifianakis hinted at his anti-Gibson stance:

"But a movie you're acting in, you don't have a lot of control — you just show up and vomit your lines out. I'm not the boss. I'm in a deep protest right now with a movie I'm working on, up in arms about something. But I can't get the guys to [listen] ... I'm not making any leeway."

He later added:

"It has something to do with a movie I'm working on, yeah. I'll tell you about it later. It's very frustrating."

We hear Randy Quaid is available.

Question: Will Hurricane Mel ever blow over enough to allow the one-time A-list actor/director to make a comeback? Let us know below in the comments section or by tweeting your comment with the hashtag #celebritweets.

Sources: Deadline, Comedy Death Ray

Related:
Audio of Mel Gibson's racist rant leaked online
Mel Gibson: Yet another audio tape, yet another slur
More Mel Gibson rage in tape No. 4

And from 2006...
Parsing Mel's meltdown
Gibson's anti-Semitic tirade

By Liz Kelly  | October 22, 2010; 8:15 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Mel Gibson
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Who's on the first week of 'Conan'?
Next: Martin Freeman cast as Bilbo Baggins in 'The Hobbit'

Comments

"Comedy Death Ray," indeed.

Posted by: byoolin1 | October 22, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Wow.

People aren't very forgiving, are they? I guess they never had a bat for an ex.

Pretty sad when you won't even let the guy do a cameo. Mel Gibson as a tattoo artist in Bangkok would have been pretty funny.

I guess he'll have to keep funding his own movies.

Posted by: Benson | October 22, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Good. I wanted to see the movie but when I heard Gibson was going to be in it I was reluctantly going to boycott it. Nice to know I won't have to now.

Posted by: 1toughlady | October 22, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

I would never see another movie with Mel Gibson as a cast member, director, producer or any other role. Everybody can decide for themselves but I'm sure that there are plenty of other people who feel the same as me.

Posted by: Lefty_ | October 22, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Didn't Mel already do this cameo anyway? I'm recalling a terrible movie, Robin Williams and maybe Billy Crystal? They go on some kind of road trip, and end up in a seedy bar where Mel Gibson is sitting in a corner doing tattoos. Anyone? Did I dream this?

Posted by: ML01 | October 22, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

I would have been quite happy to see Mel Gibson in this movie. After learning far, far too much about his personal life, I have to admit, I'm rooting for the guy to make a comeback. We have all spent some time in the "I'm a jack-ass doghouse" but we still get to go to work. I say give him another chance.

Posted by: bproulx451 | October 22, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Good for the cast and crew. Mel Gibson is a walking piece of feces and if I were anywhere near him with a blunt object, I would be tempted to apply said object to his head.

Posted by: playahatah | October 22, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

I think it's simply a "travesty" that a supremely spoiled sophomoric pack of so-called ACTORS can RULE the film industry. LIKE anybody in THAT CAST has EVER DONE anything (frankly) remarkable in THEIR ENTIRE LIVES.

WHO HASN'T DONE THINGS THEY REGRET ?? ... THAT they SHOULD JUDGE MEL GIBSON?

Basically "character" actors, which NEVER had the IMPACT in this industry -- or THE WORLDWIDE audiences Mel has.

The MOVIE going public will rush to see Mel's movies -- regardless. Frankly, Mel's PERFORMANCE is the ANYONE REASON to see that film.

Anyone who could EVER BELIEVE that gold-digger ... doesn't HAVE a brain. He was set-up …. your Hollywood Hypocrites’ are just THAT.

Posted by: iconklee | October 22, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Whoa, possible BKD alert.

Posted by: MStreet1 | October 22, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

A "'travesty'" indeed, iconklee.

Posted by: northgs | October 22, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Mike Tyson went to jail and paid his debt to society.
Mel Gibson is unrepentive and in denial.

thats a huge difference to me, and i'd never pay to see a mel gibson film again.

Posted by: MarilynManson | October 22, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Gibson committed one and only real sin in the eyes of Jewish-dominated Hollywood: he insisted on making "The Passion of the Christ." Gibon's so-called "anti-Semitic rant" was just a response to Hollywood trying to shut down a blockbuster because of religious bias.

His fight with his ex-wife pales in comparison to may other acts by the likes of Tyson and others which Hollywood looks past in a hearbeat. That isn't the real issue.

Hollywood hates Gibson because Hollywood hates Christians.

Posted by: paul65 | October 22, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Too bad he didn't just kill somebody in a drunk-driving accident, there's a lot of forgiveness for that. Sadly apparently saying impolitic things about a protected class of victims is even worse.

Posted by: ronjaboy | October 22, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

LOL it'll be interesting to see if anyone on this crew who objected to Mel Gibson will even be mentioned in the news 5 years from now as anything other than a disaster-case. MG might be a bigoted violent ahole but he's still got 15x the box-office draw and the resume of anyone I can think of in Hollywood. Maybe they will all just "vote him out of Hollywood" LOL

Posted by: chucklebuck | October 22, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

I don't have a lot of sympathy for racists, drunk drivers, and women and child abusers who decide they're above the law and common decency, even if fame and a fat wallet directed their path. Mel needs to gel and find a healthier reality. If he can prove himself by doing something positive for mankind instead of being abusive, maybe forgiveness can be considered.

Posted by: amelia7 | October 22, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Nicotine is a tough monkey.

Posted by: blasmaic | October 22, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Looks like Mel is attempting the Tom Cruise career recovery method.

Posted by: ouvan59 | October 22, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Lefty said it best a few posts ago...No need for me to rephrase.. " I [will] never see another movie with Mel Gibson as a cast member, director, producer or any other role. Everybody can decide for themselves but I'm sure that there are plenty of other people who feel the same as me."

Posted by: Wendcher | October 22, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

are these guys serious? . . . so full of self-righteousness . . . I won't be seeing Hangover2 nor will I ever see another Zach G movie . . . you think married couples in the throes of a bitter divorce never said nasty things to one another??? -- what planet do you live on???

Posted by: RBCrook | October 22, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse