Posted at 3:35 PM ET, 10/ 8/2010

No 3-D for 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows'

By Jen Chaney

Three people you won't be seeing in 3-D in "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows."
(Warner Bros.)

Warner Bros. announced today that Part 1 of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" will release in regular old 2-D, not 3-D as originally planned.

Despite everyone’s best efforts, we were unable to convert the film in its entirety and meet the highest standards of quality. We do not want to disappoint fans who have long-anticipated the conclusion of this extraordinary journey, and to that end, we are releasing our film day-and-date on November 19, 2010 as planned. We, in alignment with our filmmakers, believe this is the best course to take in order to ensure that our audiences enjoy the consummate "Harry Potter" experience.

The film will still screen in both conventional and Imax theaters. As for Part 2 of the "Deathly Hallows" -- the final film chapter in the Potter series -- it is still planned for a 3-D release in July 2011.

This is a, dare we say, refreshing surprise, since the pressure for studios to issue 3-D releases -- especially on a high-profile installment in a mega-franchise like this one -- has to be intense. But better to risk losing all that extra 3-D ticket money than to disappoint fans with a less-than-magical conversion. At least that's my take.

But what's yours? Are you glad Warner Bros. made this decision or disappointed that you won't get to see Harry, Hermione and co. in multiple dimensions?

Source: Collider.com and Warner Bros.

By Jen Chaney  | October 8, 2010; 3:35 PM ET
Categories:  Movies, Pop Culture
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Miley Cyrus's new video: Too sexy for 17?
Next: Shia gets conservative. Maybe

Comments

I don't want to see them in any dimension. A bunch of adults pretending they're kids. Kinda like the old hags of Sex & the City pretending they're attractive.

Posted by: kabuki3 | October 8, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

I thought that vampires had overtaken wizards as the imaginary creature du-jour. In other words, [yawn] . . .

-Snarky Squirrel

Posted by: 7900rmc | October 8, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

/clappyhands

3D makes my eyes hurt and my glasses get all jumbly, so I'm excited. Thanks WB!

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | October 8, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

@kabuki3 - Actually these last 2 films are the only ones shot where the actors are slightly older than what they portray in the movie. The films were originally shot in such rapid succession (one every year) so that they would not age out of the roles and still look and sound appropriate for the films.

Anyway, I'm glad they won't be making it 3D. I think 3D is distracting and gimmicky ("ooh it looks like it's coming right at me - oh wait I was watching that flyiing thing what's happening again?").

Posted by: melindaboyd | October 11, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse