Posted at 11:20 AM ET, 10/ 7/2010

Oprah, Lady Gaga, Ellen DeGeneres make Forbes 'most powerful women' list

By Liz Kelly

Gallery: The top 10 most powerful women

Bow down before Gaga. (Getty Images)

In a surprise twist that has the earth spinning off its axis, it turns out that Lady Gaga is more powerful than House speaker Nancy Pelosi and Supreme Court justice Sonia Sotomayor.

At least according to the list-happy editors at Forbes magazine who yesterday released their list of the world's 100 most powerful women. (Oh, and hint: Forbes means women who have significant cultural influence, not say, brute strength. Because in that case, you know this chick could, like, totally crush Gaga and Pelosi simultaneously). Forbes's list is a blend of celebrities, politicians and captain-essess of industry headed by first lady Michelle Obama.

Source: Forbes.com

After the jump, find out where more celebs landed on the list...

Related:
BlogPost: Michelle Obama: The most powerful woman in the Forbes universe

But since we're only interested in celebs, here's where a few of our favorite bold-namers landed:

Oprah Winfrey (3): She may be giving up her daily talk show, but expectations are high for O's next step in total world domination -- the Oprah Winfrey Network.

Lady Gaga (7): Yet another reason my husband's contention that this woman has no staying power is just wrong. And, according to Forbes, she's "single-handedly reinvigorated pop music and pop culture."

Beyonce Knowles (9): As far as I can tell, Beyonce was included for having the smarts to rake in $80 million in earnings last year.

Ellen DeGeneres (10): Despite stepping down from the "American Idol" judging panel, Forbes dubs her "queen of all media."

Also on the list: Angelina Jolie, Madonna, Chelsea Handler, Heidi Klum, Sarah Jessica Parker, Gisele Bundchen, Rachael Ray and Martha Stewart.

By Liz Kelly  | October 7, 2010; 11:20 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: George Clooney visits the Sudan; Tony Curtis buried with iPhone, Splenda
Next: So long, Sad Keanu! Happy Keanu is here.

Comments

Beyonce?! Sarah Jessica Parker?! When was the list created, 2007?

Right now, Oprah is throwing copies of the Forbes release around her office screaming. Let's listen in:

"Number THREE? THREE? I don't even know what that number MEANS because I can only count to ONE. (Well, unless we're talking about the thread counts of my sheets and then I can get to 2,000 or so. But I digress.) What was I going on about again? RIGHT. Forbes. GAYLE! GET IN HERE. I want Michelle and this Irene person -- whoever SHE is -- to issue statements IMMEDIATELY saying that they're going to pull a Kathy Heigl and decline their inclusion on that list, and before this issue goes to press. YOU HEAR ME? I want to see a big-ol' #1 by name and SOON. Where are my latte and my heels? I have a show to do. Today we're giving away $100,000 bars. Not the chocolate, you idiot. Three! Three? ....muttermuttermutter...."

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | October 7, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Number of Monarchs, Presidents and Prime Ministers ranked lower than Chelsea Handler on Forbes' list of most powerful women: 9

Population of countries represented by those 9 women: 149,000,000.

Number of followers @ChelseaHandler has on Twitter: I don't know, but it's a darned sight less than 149,000,000.

Posted by: byoolin1 | October 7, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Any Non-Americans in the top 20? Like that gorgeous model married to the President of France.

Posted by: rusty6 | October 7, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

So, is the "this chick" pic of Madonna or SJP? Linda Hamilton? Or maybe the Mickey Rourke's Russian girlfriend got into his 'droid stash.

Posted by: kabuki3 | October 7, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Is Forbes trying to persuade the public they are idiots? Stephanie Meyer has more power than the President of Argentina?? Really?

Give me a break. Well-knowned-ness is not the same thing as power. Not even remotely.

Posted by: DCLocal20 | October 7, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

If you had believed what was written in Forbes in 2006 about the financial situation, your portfolio would be worthless....about the same value as the current Forbes List.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | October 8, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse