'Paranormal Activity 2': New trailer and new viral shenanigans
"Paranormal Activity" became a surprise box office hit at this time last year because of some smart viral marketing on the part of Paramount Pictures. Now the studio is trying to repeat that same model with the movie's sequel.
Viral clips have begun circulating in recent days, and a new promo for the movie has also been released, finally giving audiences a clearer sense of what the horror flick, which arrives in theaters Oct. 22, might actually be about ... you know, besides being about earning more money for Paramount Pictures.
So here's what we know, based on the clip above and the additional viral clips that follow.
1. Katie -- the haunted woman from the first film -- may be the aunt of the baby that we saw in those early teasers.
2. Another family -- again, possibly related to Katie -- will be tormented by strange occurrences in their home at night, all of which will be captured in grainy, video camera footage.
3. Bad things are going to happen to that baby. Which I don't like one bit.
4. A lot of the same plot elements we saw in "Paranormal 1" -- a man trying to protect his scared loved ones, haunting incidents that seem funny at first but quickly turn frightening, people mysteriously being dragged out of rooms -- will all be trotted out again for the sequel.
5. Trying to generate the same sort of viral excitement that worked by surprise the first time? That's not going to be easy.
Of course, that hasn't stopped anyone from trying. Here are three of the several viral clips, via Entertainment Weekly, currently making their way around the Internet. Will you succumb to the attempts to generate hype and go see this or do you feel like you got the "Paranormal" gist the first time around?
| October 1, 2010; 8:20 AM ET
Categories: Movies, Pop Culture
Save & Share: Previous: Justin Timberlake and Jimmy Fallon break down the history of rap
Next: Britney Spears to remain under conservatorship; No divorce for Heidi Montag and Spencer Pratt
The comments to this entry are closed.