Posted at 8:53 AM ET, 10/26/2010

Rachael Leigh Cook, firmly anti-PhotoShop; Taylor Momsen flashes concert crowd

By Liz Kelly and Jen Chaney

Rachael Leigh Cook, firmly anti-PhotoShop: Rachael Leigh Cook says she's "up in arms" about the idealized airbrushed and PhotoShopped images of celebs plastered on the pages of magazines. The 31-year-old actress is joining forces with Geena Davis, Girl Scouts of America and the Creative Coalition to raise awareness of body image issues for young women. Earlier this month Cook, Davis and other stars -- including Alfre Woodard, Steven Weber and Teri Polo -- met in D.C. to discuss how to promote healthier body images for women.

"I did not grow up getting told about how manipulated the images we see of women and girls out there are," Cook told Fox News, "and I think it's an absolute travesty that young women are seeing what the media is feeding them. It breaks my heart to be part of an industry and part of a machine that really pushes out these images and propagates these really terrible standards that are false."

Cook urges young women to Google "Photoshop Tutorial" to see for themselves how much manipulation goes into the images of stars seen in magazines. A nice thought, but I'm guessing "PhotoShop Tutorial" won't be today's top search term. [Fox News, Creative Coalition]

Celebrity Beat: 17-year-old Taylor Momsen flashes the audience during band performance. Where is the outrage, I ask?... Jane Lynch poses in her own racy photo spread for More magazine... First it was nail polish, now Justin Bieber plans to launch unisex perfume... Speaking of Bieber, here's a sneak peek at his upcoming 3-D movie release (gee, what a great use of that technology) "Never Say Never":

More: Lady Gaga's YouTube channel sets billion page view record... Michael Jackson is the top-earning dead celebrity... Evan Rachel Wood says ex Marilyn Manson "had a hand in raising me"... Oksana Grigorieva turns down Playboy offer... In a fab interview conducted by Steve Carrell, Ryan Gosling calls his Mickey Mouse Club expereience "depressing"... Willow Smith going as herself for Halloween... Drug charges against T.I. dropped... Toni Collette expecting second child.

Rumor Mill: We don't have confirmation that Mariah Carey is pregnant, but apparently she's expecting a boy.

Pop Culture Mix: Could Halle Berry emerge as an unanticipated contender in this year's Oscar race?... Jean-Luc Godard will skip ceremony where he will be awarded with an honorary Academy Award... ABC has already cancelled Maura Tierney's "The Whole Truth"... Val Kilmer stars in new thriller from director Francis Ford Coppola... Jack Black and Renee Zellweger cast in "Mad Men" creator Matthew Weiner's directorial debut... Ang Lee casts newcomer as star of his "Life of Pi" adaptation.

By Liz Kelly and Jen Chaney  | October 26, 2010; 8:53 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rumor Mill: Taylor Swift dating Jake Gyllenhaal
Next: Randy and Evi Quaid remain in Canadian jail

Comments

Actual teenage flashing is so ho-hum. It's much easier to be outraged over adult actors who play teenagers appearing in their skivvies.

The only thriller I can see Val Kilmer in is one where the entire audience wonders whether he will explode.

Posted by: epjd | October 26, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

"Where is the outrage?" I know what you mean. The sound mix at the show was terrible.

"Justin Bieber plans to launch unisex perfume." Gordon Pinsent's already signed up for a gallon jug of it.

Seeing Justin Bieber's name in the same sentence as the title of a song by Romeo Void sends a chill down my spine.

"Michael Jackson is the top-earning dead celebrity..." So this year, his zombie Thriller dance is going to look extra happy.

"Ryan Gosling calls his Mickey Mouse Club experience depressing" - to borrow a line from Squeeze, he doesn't mind the language, it's the beatings he don't need.

"Willow Smith going as herself for Halloween." Wow. Too lazy to even bother going as "Don't you know who my father is? Keep scoopin' it into the bag, neighbor."

Ang Lee's "Life of Pi" adaptation: As Wanda once said in an episode of "Corner Gas": "It's my favourite maritime tiger novel."

Posted by: byoolin1 | October 26, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Rachael Leigh Cook speaks out against PhotoShopping images of celebs... Also she doesn't like kitchens. (I'm sorry, a 15 year old anti-drug ad was the most recent thing I could think of that she has been in. Maybe she ought to try to get some work, then we can discuss her relevance.)

Can we go back to the good old days of throwing things at Justin Beiber's head?

Val Kilmer stars in new thriller from director Francis Ford Coppola...What? Are they remaking The Blob?

Pretty sure the only reason there's no outrage over Taylor Momsen is that no one knows who she is. Either that or people named Taylor get a pass from the media. Case in point Taylor Lautner going topless in those sparkly vampire crap movies. And no one even gets worked up over Taylor Swift date Jon Mayer.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | October 26, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

TYPO: Liz & Jen, you might want to check "experience". I believe there are a few too many vowels there.

Posted by: afar2988 | October 26, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

I am not sure why the Jane Lynch in More is racy. Unless it seems likes she must work for UPS, because she is surrounded by packages.

Like I said yesterday, Playboy didn't offer Ok$ana enough $.

If Haille Berry is a contendah in this year's Oscar race, it would be unexpected.

I can see that Jean-Luc has a point, which is usually not that easy to do. How honorary is an honorary Oscar ceremony if the honoree is not honored at the main ceremony?

Having read "Life of Pi" I cannot see an established actor, say Eli Wallach, in the title role. It almost has to be somebody new.

Posted by: reddragon1 | October 26, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

afar
I believe there are a few too many vowels there.

We could always send the surplus over to "Wheel of Fortune," in an act of philanthropy.

Rachael Leigh Cook. Taylor Momsen.

Who???

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | October 26, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

reddragon

Maybe he could be cast in the sequel, "Life of e."

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | October 26, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

I applaud Rachel for taking a stand against Hollywood's trickery!

For all of today's pop culture news, including my thoughts on Rachel Leigh Cook, head to www.robbyn­ovaspopwor­ld.com.

Pop Culture From A Different Perspective

Posted by: RobbyNova | October 26, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Am I the only one that was squicked out by this sentence?
**************************************
Evan Rachel Wood says ex Marilyn Manson "had a hand in raising me"
***************************************

Because I'm sure he didn't just use his hands. :-p

Posted by: wadejg | October 26, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

If you read the article, it's pretty apparent Evan Rachel Wood is not one of the great minds of the 21st century. Everybody wants to play Janis Joplin.

Posted by: reddragon1 | October 26, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Interesting read. "Two Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest / Can a married couple like Randy and Evi Quaid go insane together?"

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | October 26, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Prize to Nosy for "The Life of e." We log far too few math jokes these days.

Posted by: byoolin1 | October 26, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

"Had a hand in raising me?" Eww. Daddy issues anyone?

Willow Smith: narcissist much?

Posted by: Californian11 | October 26, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

byoolin,
i heartily agree.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 26, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Why (or y) thanks, byoolin. I tried to integrate it gracefully into the discussion, although I admit the title sounds kinda derivative. Also, it's hard for some folks to differentiate between e and Pi.

Just for you, courtesy of "Mental Floss" (yeah, looked it up, since I didn't attend Tech, although I've heard other versions):

E to the U, DU — E to the X, DX!
Cosine! Secant! Tangent! Sine!
3 point 1 4 1 5 9!
Integral! Radical! Mu, DV
Slipstick! Slide rule! MIT!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | October 26, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Thanks to you, too, yellojkt. Do GA Tech have a different version of that cheer?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | October 26, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Does GA Tech...?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | October 26, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

"I hope Bieber is making a ton of money because he is not going to convince any girl he is man enough to date."

Especially after they see this picture:

Posted by: Californian11 | October 26, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse