Posted at 12:37 PM ET, 10/19/2010

Rooney Mara becomes Lisbeth Salander

By Liz Kelly

On the left, Mara at the 2009 Sundance Film Festival. At right, on set in Sweden. (Photos: Reuters and courtesy rooney-mara.com)

Actress Rooney Mara -- most recently spotted as Mark Zuckerberg's articulately irate ex-girlfriend in "The Social Network" -- has undergone a massive transformation as she prepares to take on the role of Lisbeth Salander in the Hollywood adaptation of Stieg Larsson's "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo." Although director David Fincher has been keeping Mara under wraps, the fan site rooney-mara.com has published supposed photos of the Salander-ized Mara. Her long honey-blonde locks have been shorn into a severe jet black goth 'do and she's sporting some visible piercings.

Yesterday, the New York Post reported that Rooney had undergone some other, umm, non-visible piercings, as well. The paper's sources also report that Mara has been spending most of her time on lockdown in a Swedish hotel room. Mara will be starring opposite Daniel Craig in what is expected to be a trilogy of movies.

As a fan of the original Swedish movies, I'm not convinced Mara can top Noomi Rapace's frightening yet vulnerable turn as Salander. We'll have to wait and see.

Source: New York Post

Related:
'The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo' is ... Rooney Mara

By Liz Kelly  | October 19, 2010; 12:37 PM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Movies
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Judy Blume's 'Tiger Eyes' heads to the big screen, prompting the question: Which of her other books should become a movie?
Next: Tom Bosley of 'Happy Days' fame has died

Comments

I watched "Dragon Tattoo" a few weeks ago with my wife. They're almost definitely going to have to tone things down for the US audience. There were parts of that movie where I almost couldn't watch, and I started feeling nauseous. I had to keep telling myself "It's just a movie . . . it's just a movie . . ."

Anyway, I look forward to the Hollywood-ized version.

Posted by: bucky_katt | October 19, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

If that photo is legit, they've totally botched it.

I also just watched the Swedish version and I think your description of Rapace as frightening yet vulnerable is spot on and that was what she looked like to me. Here, in my view, Rooney Mara just looks like she's trying way too hard to be shocking.

Posted by: njacobs | October 19, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

If non-visible piercings are the same as invisible ones, I'm more hip than I thought. They didn't hurt, either.

Posted by: kabuki3 | October 19, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

I'm more convinced than ever that the Americanized version of this movie will be a disaster. Noomi Rapace is Salander; can't see any American actress being able to give this role the justice it deserves.

Posted by: derzhava | October 19, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

The Swedish movie is shocking in a number of places, but so is the book.
It is a very good movie, full of suspense and menace.
Betcha Hollywood makes its version an oh-so-smooth serving of bland mashed potatoes.

Posted by: dmarple | October 19, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

not sure if i will see the hollywood movie versions of these books, but i am looking forward to seeing luftslottet som sprängdes when it comes around later this month

Posted by: jrm1 | October 19, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

This isn't a "hollywood" movie version, nor "Americanized"--it's the "english language version", being shot in Sweden, with english language speakers. They offered the part to Noomi Rapace (who speaks brilliant English) but she immediately declined--understandably not wanting to inhabit that character again for the better part of 9 months (for three movies). Having said all that, I'm a huge fan of the original (not being remotely repulsed by subtitles) and don't have high expectations for an english remake.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | October 19, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Both Rapace and Mara are to old for the Lisbeth Salander character as written. She is in her early 20s, and neither actress meets that standard.

And Americans who find the Swedish version too strong for them should stick to Roadrunner cartoons.

Posted by: lowercaselarry | October 19, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

The Americanized "English" version is completely unnecessary. The Swedish version is excellent. The American version will no doubt be even more violent.

Posted by: Sooska | October 19, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

I think Noomi Rapace totally nailed that role. She looked almost exactly what I was picturing Salander to be when I was reading the book. I felt like I had already seen her and it will be very difficult to match her.
As to the movie, I have to say I was a bit underwhelmed. I thought some of the intensity of the book was missing although I didn't find it as heavy and violent as some here suggested. I'm hoping the Hollywood version will be better.

Posted by: thor2 | October 19, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse