Posted at 12:20 PM ET, 10/ 6/2010

Snickers satisfies ... or terrifies?

By Jen Chaney

The latest Snickers commercial wants to make consumers remember to buy those tasty candy bars in time for trick-or-treating for this year. But what it actually makes us remember is how freaky it is for a super-tall old lady to force bags of candy into our shopping carts.

The new Halloween commercial from the people at Mars (see above) has gone semi-viral in the past couple of days. And the consensus online is that it's definitely a little creepy. Maybe not a childhood wrecker, but certainly a potential nightmare-inducer for younger kids. Something about that costume reminds me of a giant, falsetto-voiced, more disturbing version of Dot Jones. Which doesn't exactly make me hunger for a delicious mix of chocolate, caramel and crunchy peanuts ... although it is lunchtime, and I do love some caramel ...

Seriously, while you recover from the above viewing experience, check out a few clips (after the jump) that take us back to the time when Halloween commercials weren't scary in the least. Well, they won't seem scary unless you're frightened by Chicken McNuggets, Hallmark cards or '80s nostalgia. Which, actually, would be understandable.

----

A puppet Chicken McNugget with fangs? Decidedly unscary. On the other hand, Ronald McDonald? A little unnerving.

Man, I miss the old-school version of Geoffrey Giraffe.

It was true then, and it's true now: Cereal tastes better when it comes with a pair of wax lips:

The woman with the funny teeth at the beginning of this 1989 Hallmark commercial is a tad scary. But any jitters quickly disappear at the 14-second mark, when the delightful Gloria Reuben appears:

By Jen Chaney  | October 6, 2010; 12:20 PM ET
Categories:  Pop Culture
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Oksana Grigorieva on Mel Gibson: 'I thought he would kill me'
Next: Michael Lohan opening women-only rehab; Amy Winehouse debuts fashion line

Comments

Can't sleep. Freaky Grocery Store Lady with the Child Chestburster will eat me.....

Posted by: DCCubefarm | October 6, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Man, now I want some chicken mcnuggets. Also, pretty sure I had one of those animal noses from the happy meal.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | October 6, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Ah...the good old days of suffocating under a Ben Cooper costume!!

I have a few of those Nugget toys around along with all the Halloween Happy Meal pails you'd get with your Happy Meal.

Store still do Halloween but now it's all about Christmas. Home Depot has all their Christmas displays out, Wal Mart has Christmas trees out, same for Michaels & Target. It's almost like they'd like to skip right from the Back To School sales to Christmas.

Posted by: wadejg | October 6, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

I think it's perfectly rational to be afraid of Chicken McNuggets. Do you have any idea how those things are made?

Posted by: northgs | October 6, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse